Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 03:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times

Advertisements

Nanny state. Lets make side walks out of plastic bubble wrap because of all the kids that injured and killed themselves when hitting the hard concrete for one reason or another. Wait lets just wrap all kids in plastic bubble wrap until they are 25. They can stand in the corner and we can feed them a liquid food diet so they don't get over weight and develop childhood diabetes. This country is going down the crap hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 08:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Nanny state. Lets make side walks out of plastic bubble wrap because of all the kids that injured and killed themselves when hitting the hard concrete for one reason or another. Wait lets just wrap all kids in plastic bubble wrap until they are 25. They can stand in the corner and we can feed them a liquid food diet so they don't get over weight and develop childhood diabetes. This country is going down the crap hole.
Parenting is Easy! » Blog Archive » Is 1 roll of bubble wrap enough? (http://www.parentingiseasy.com/2009/06/is-1-roll-of-bubble-wrap-enough/ - broken link)

Old 12-19-2010, 08:42 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
I think it's absolutely crazy to ban something that is used so often and yet has harmed so few. My gosh folks, I know most of you have to have felt the same way! How many of those cribs have been used? I know ALL of my kids had them! I had kids in those cribs from 1983-1999! Not once, did my children get hurt. Not only that, but I never heard of any child (except for the news), getting hurt because of them. For cryin out loud, look at all the things kids climb on, pull over on them, fall off of, run in to, stick in "holes". Those cribs are darn convenient. My daughter has one of the "new fangled ones", because it was given to her. What a nightmare! If we hadn't given away our older one, you can bet that's the one we'd be using. Talk about overkill! How about making the instructions easier to read......better diagrams, more clear language. Ugh! Another overkill!

Old 12-19-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Good golly NO! Don't you see? They'd wrap themselves in bubblewrap, suffocate and then they'd BAN bubblewrap! Either that or some kid would eat a wad, clog something up, die and still......no more bubblewrap! You'd have to sign a dang form, giving your name, license and a promise that you'd keep it out of reach of children under the age of 18!! LOL

Old 12-19-2010, 09:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
The crib I used for my kids had a drop side, but it was old and used and stored in an attic for many years before I even got it. In fact, it was in such poor shape when we cleaned it up to use we actually had to nail the sides together, preventing the dropside from even working.

Sounds appalling doesn't it? LOL. We finally retired it to the dumps when our youngest got a twin bed.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:06 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,863 times
I am currently using a drop side crib for my 5 1/2 month old.. same one was used for my almost 4 yr old. It's just a shame that it now has no resale value, unless there are buyers out there like you posters here. It's tragic for these families who lost their child, but the numbers per year don't warrant a ban. What are we supposed to do use a step stool to lean into the cribs? Nope....

Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think it's pretty amazing that they haven't been able to build a safe crib yet, after generations of trying.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisthea View Post
I still use a drop side crib but I don't ever put the drop side down. I just get a stool so that I can more easily reach the baby.
I'd be more afraid of falling off the stool while holding the baby than using a drop side crib.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisthea View Post
It's a small step stool.
Whatever you are comfortable with. You know you and your baby and your abilities best.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'd be more afraid of falling off the stool while holding the baby than using a drop side crib.
Yeah, LOL, me too! Falling with the baby in my arms....crash goes mom, smoosh goes baby, ban on footstools!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting