Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 05:15 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,879,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Perhaps you weren't hanging out in this forum back when she lives at her mother's house, but txtqueen needed to get out on her own. It wasn't just her desire. Everyone encouraged her to get her own place. She needed to move out so she could mature and grow up. We were all amazed she actually did move. We thought she would live forever at her mother's house and whine and complain. We warned her that the nanny situation wasn't the best way of getting out on her own, but it was an arrangement that made her feel most comfortable---because being literally on her own scared her. That fear of being on her own is just another reason she needed to be on her own.

As for the car, I was in the same situation concerning a car when I was her age. My father forced me to have a brand new car because he wanted me to be in a car that was safe. It's an old fashioned opinion about car ownership. And I was forced. The circumstances dictated that. I didn't have the money to buy my own car outright--even a cheap car. I needed a car to get back and forth to work--a job I already had before my junker broke down. My father insisted that he would only buy me a brand new car. If I had refused him, I would have lost my job because I wouldn't have been able to get to work.

As for college, txtqueen has been attending college for a few terms. The 14k isn't really necessary for her to finish college because her mother's income and her own income is low enough that she will qualify for financial aid.

Yeah i was and i was one of the few that told her to stay and finish school first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 05:25 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,810,157 times
A lot of people ganged up on me because I am a firm believer in getting your behind in college full time right out of high school. I wonder why I think that way.

Exhibit A, folks.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:28 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,879,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
A lot of people ganged up on me because I am a firm believer in getting your behind in college full time right out of high school. I wonder why I think that way.

Exhibit A, folks.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:31 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,988,755 times
Quote:

Exhibit A, folks.
Do you know how much I would love to move back home and pay car ins, car payment and gas and work to be able to afford thst and enought to save?

I'd do it tonight if I could.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:34 PM

I could attend classes on a real campus!
I could live a less stressful life.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,099,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
People are simply frustrated that she rarely takes seriously any of the advice she is given. We try and try and try to explain things and she always comes back with some comment letting us know how grown up she is because she had a glass of wine with her employer or her boyfriend fixes her eggs in the morning. That doesn't make one an adult. Rather than try to make better decisions, she still repeats poor decisions and then whines about the consequences.
Yes, and most adults "work" 57+ hours a week. They put their 40 hours in then come home and do yard work, house work, take care of the kids, cook, or sometimes do school work.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:39 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,810,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I could attend classes on a real campus!
I could live a less stressful life.
Things you should have done years ago. You should be just about done with college.

What is done is done but you chose a more difficult path. Now you have to deal with it. Suck it up.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Yes, and most adults "work" 57+ hours a week. They put their 40 hours in then come home and do yard work, house work, take care of the kids, cook, or sometimes do school work.
Yes but I never have a full day off.
I'm either doing one job or the other.

I'd like some time to just like idk go clean my car out, spend time with friends or just like idk do something for myself. I barely have time to shower or do anything during the day. I have no time to do anything for myself and I'm going to get that time back.

I want a set schedule!!!!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:41 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,814,348 times
Txt is in over her head, being a mature adult is taking good advice from people who have been there and done (haha). There is nothing wrong with wanting to leave home but you do it the right way and not leave the house at any chance that you get. To be honest you aren't a nanny, you are a baby sitter. Like it was pointed out before... they should pay for you to be insured for their vehicle and they should be paying your cell phone bill its on their bill as a convience to them. Room and board should be included you shouldnt have to work x amount of hours equals rent being paid. Maybe im wrong but that is bizarre to me. If I had a nanny then room and board is included as it is a convience to be in my home. I wonder what they'd pay if you were still living at home or with a roommate? Also I wouldve questioned what happened to their previous nannies [water under the bridge now....]

Old 12-16-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Things you should have done years ago. You should be just about done with college.

What is done is done but you chose a more difficult path. Now you have to deal with it. Suck it up.
My mom couldn't take me and I can't afford dorms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting