Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So we've looked it up but she hasn't?

I'm telling you, she doesn't want to be a cop. She wants the badge and the handcuffs and she wants to hang out with cops but...When I was her age (that would be young Muffy) I was filling out applications, sending in writing samples (and getting rejection letters) working and going to school. And the only people I complained to were my friends. Who were all doing the exact same thing.
I agree...she wants to be her image of a cop and have the lifestyle. Not the actual job. But she doesn't know what else to consider because she has looked and said nothing but the cop thing for years. I also wonder if she isn't worried a little about "losing face" by admitting this isn't what she really wants anymore. That is typical of a young attitude - believing that changing your mind is a weakness....

Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 AM

Wondering if the gas station job would pay for a Business Management class at the local JC? That would be a way to show initiative.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,778 times
So sad really. There are a lot of trade schools she could be going to right now which would provide a good living for herself. I know a bunch of girls from my high school who went into nursing after having children very young and unmarried. Ultrasound tech and dental assistant are also good jobs. Aesthetician, nail tech, and hair dresser all have nigh school so she could work in the day.

I've seen people with much worse circumstances make much better use of their lives than this

Old 01-27-2011, 11:22 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
By not applying she paralyzes herself in her dreams. She hasn't moved toward them and can't move past them to consider new dreams.
Which is why I think she'll still be at the gas station in 5 years if she doesn't do something NOW! She now seems to be getting lured into the thought that becoming the assistant manager or whatever it is they are dangling in front of her, will be the answer to her money problems.

She keeps repeating the pattern of thinking something is oh so wonderful - BB&B and first, the nannying, etc. then realizes, that wasn't all what she thought it would be. Unless she furthers her education, she'll be stuck in this rut.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
Quote:
I agree...she wants to be her image of a cop and have the lifestyle. Not the actual job. But she doesn't know what else to consider because she has looked and said nothing but the cop thing for years. I also wonder if she isn't worried a little about "losing face" by admitting this isn't what she really wants anymore. That is typical of a young attitude - believing that changing your mind is a weakness....
Amen to that!! Sooooooo very typical. Good grief, better to change your mind, admit that you changed it and get the heck on with your life, I say! LOL

BTW y'all.....14 years I suffered with back pain. Had suffered with a kidney infection before this time.....took advil religiously...especially for the chronic back pain (right rear flank)...same area as the kidney pain. Test after test showed that there was nothing at all wrong with my kidney, no infection, no gall stones nothing wrong with ureters, lo and behold....finally had a scope done....guess what it turned out to be? It was an ULCER! For the most part, my fault for the lifestyle which included large volumes of Pepsi, Advil, coffee and stress! It could be an ulcer which is causing "referred pain" in the flank area. Ulcer pain can pretty much manifest itself just about anywhere....it all depends on exactly where in the intestinal tract it is. Treated the ulcer, got rid of the back pain! Incidentally, soy milk can be fabulous for ulcers.....and it tastes better than cabbage juice (another home remedy).....especially the chocolate kind! LOL

Old 01-27-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
and it tastes better than cabbage juice (another home remedy).....especially the chocolate kind!
OK..had to reread this...for a minute I was thinking "chocolate cabbage juice??" Ew!

Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Fear. No other excuse. Fear of failure. Or of not being accepted. Or of being accepted and not graduating. The thing txt is too young to realize is that what seems like failure is not always failure...it's the opportunity to move on. As long as that dream is out there, she doesn't have to look at anything else (in her mind). If she "fails" (one way or another) she'll have to come up with something else. And she is afraid to do that. By not applying she paralyzes herself in her dreams. She hasn't moved toward them and can't move past them to consider new dreams.
Fear of success is more like it. If she's accepted to Academy, then she has to accept that she is a responsible adult living in a world where other people expect things from her, and that it doesn't revolve around her.

This concept is - not acceptable to her. Which is why she makes excuses for EVERYTHING, and why she hasn't filled out the academy application.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Which is why I think she'll still be at the gas station in 5 years if she doesn't do something NOW! She now seems to be getting lured into the thought that becoming the assistant manager or whatever it is they are dangling in front of her, will be the answer to her money problems.

She keeps repeating the pattern of thinking something is oh so wonderful - BB&B and first, the nannying, etc. then realizes, that wasn't all what she thought it would be. Unless she furthers her education, she'll be stuck in this rut.
OOOOOOrrrrrrr.......learns to be happy with what she's got. To me, it's a lot more about being grateful and thankful. Once you learn to be thankful and content with who you are and what you've got, you realize just how happy and rich you really are!

Old 01-27-2011, 11:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
To the others: Wow! I have another snow day. Any one have any healthy recipes they would be willing to share?
Here's one I love. I'll provide the recipe and then I'll explain how I deviate from the recipe.

Chicken and Spinach Bow Tie Pasta

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken
1 t salt, divided
1/2 t ground black pepper, divided
3 T extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup chopped red pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 pound spinach, rinsed, chopped
1 box (16ox) bow tie pasta
1/4 cup freshly grated parmigian cheese
2 T chopped parsley

Sprinke chicken with 1/2 salt and 1/2 pepper

Heat oil in skilled over medium-high heat. Add chicken, onion, pepper and garlic, cook and stire 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through. Add chicken broth, spinach and remaining salt and pepper. Cook until spinach is wilted an chicken is cooked through.

MEANWHILE cook bow tie pasta according to package directions, drain and return to pot.

Add chicken mixture to the hot posta, toss. Transfer to servicing platter, sprinkle with cheese and parsley.

HOW I DO IT DIFFERENTLY.

I use a BIG skillet. While the chicken is cooking in the skillet, I cover it with basil other seasonings that tickle my fancy at the moment. When I add the broth, I also add some parmigian cheese to help thicken it a bit because it's just basically a chicken broth sauce. It also helps give it flavor. Sometimes I'll add some pesto from a jar of pesto.

I took the past a little less than package directions. When the pasta is done cooking, I spoon the past into the skillet---adding the pasta to the sauce instead of vice versa. THEN I add the spinach. That way the wilted spinach will stick to the bow ties instead of just the chicken. And of course, lots of parmigian cheese for consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
And Hopes, how is the husband doing today?
He's doing good. He's driving me crazy today. That's why I'm on here right now. I'm hiding in the attic! He's bored. He wants my computer to play card games. I'll be moving it downstairs for him after I finish posting. I'm glad he's doing good, of course!

I'm trying to not be upset with his company. They told us two weeks ago that they were keeping him on salary while he recovered. We just found out today that he will now be paid via workers comp instead. This is a big hassle. The pay is going to drop more than we expected, plus we'll have to pay for our portion of the benefits out of that too. Why they couldn't figure out how he would be paid ahead of time and stick to it is beyond me. I called HR two weeks ago just so we could be prepared. Everything they told me is completely different from what's really happening to us this week.

Quote:
yes, most likely but because she complained about kidney pain and is taking all that Advil...she needs to be aware of what her body is telling her...OK she not only needs to be aware, she needs to actually do something about it.
I'm not so sure. I think she would be wise to familarize herself with Hypochondria.

Hypochondria - MayoClinic.com

Because if she is a hypocondriac, she will be better off (and happier) if she educates herself about it, accepts that she has it, and learns to acknowledge it for what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
So sad really. There are a lot of trade schools she could be going to right now which would provide a good living for herself. I know a bunch of girls from my high school who went into nursing after having children very young and unmarried. Ultrasound tech and dental assistant are also good jobs.
Parmedics make decent money where I live. My BIL makes over 100k. The education is very minimal for earning that type of salary. Plus being a paramedic could help her get accepted into the police academy later if she still wants to go that route. My girlfriend went back to school for ultrasound (she was a hairdresser) and she makes over 100k too. She did it while being a single mother. If she can re-educate herself while being a single mother, working and going to school, txtqueen can do it too.

Last edited by Hopes; 01-27-2011 at 12:01 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
OOOOOOrrrrrrr.......learns to be happy with what she's got. To me, it's a lot more about being grateful and thankful. Once you learn to be thankful and content with who you are and what you've got, you realize just how happy and rich you really are!
She's never going to be grateul, thankful or content until she earns what she's got. She's led a pretty cush life. Everything has been handed to her without working for it. I don't think she knows how to stand on her own two feet because she's never had to. And she's never had any one pushing her to succeed.

Which is exactly what we're all doing. Urging her to be her best. I don't think she has that concept in her head. Of living a life of meaning and service. I was doing volunteer work at that age. Working for poltical candidates. Hanging out with war vets and peace and civil rights marchers, seeking out people who could teach me ideas and concepts I'd never been exposed to.

It's just such a waste. I think that's what bothers me the most. She's a young woman who could do so much. But her mind is set that she is right and we are wrong and she lives in this fantasy world that if she could only make $200. a month more life would be all butterlies and sunshine.

(Did I miss any "f"s? My "f" key is stuck and it's not good.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting