Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Please tell your husband that this Veteran says thanks for his service, but V-8?
I will. And thank YOU! What branch were you in?

I got to thinking about it. My DH, my dad, his dad, and two of my brothers were all in combat when they were 21. And younger. I think that's why I get so frustrated with txtqueen. She doesn't know how blessed she is and how easy she's got it.

(And, yes. V-8. I love him anyway. )

Old 01-27-2011, 03:32 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
My grandpa was in WWII, but I'm not sure how old he was. I guess I could do the math, but I'm too lazy right now. She really doesn't understand how easy she has it.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:41 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Seriously. When I was younger than she is I was working full-time while going to college full-time and getting straight A's. Did I complain about being busy? No way. I was very grateful for having that full-time job. Did I mention I had to take the bus to and from that full-time job? Did I also mention that I often had to take the bus at two in the morning to come home from work during Christmas season? Did I also mention that the area I had to walk through to get from the bus stop to my dorm has a very high incidence of rape? Seriously, she really doesn't have that much on her plate. I was grateful to have a job at that time and was perfectly willing to take the bus for it.
There are a whole lot of us who have worked much harder, much longer hours, and at much more physical jobs, without complaint...grateful to be physically able to do whatever we wanted to and grateful for a job or jobs! People appreciated hard workers then, just like they do now. The funny thing is, there were a whole lot of other folks out there, even back then, who were chronic whiners, who thought they were worth a whole lot more than they were worth.

I always say, there should be more piece-work jobs out there. If you want to make more than minimum wage, work at a piecework job. At least when you're doing piece-work, you are actually earning what you're worth. The trouble with piece-work? Very few people enjoy it. That's because so few people actually believe in "hard work". Hard work for so many is getting up and getting ready for work...the toughest part of their day! LOL

Yeah txt, you want to earn more money? Go find someone who hires employess and pays "per piece". It gives you the opportunity to set your own wage...IF you're honestly ready to work for it. Hon, you don't WANT to work hard and that's sad! Damn, hard physical labor allows you to stay in shape, AND make money. Honestly, if you add on to your paycheck, what it would cost you to go to the gym to get a good physical workout, you're earning that much more per month. Me? I LOVE hard, physical labor...the day flies by. That's so much better than standing or sitting around all day waiting for quitting time. I'd much rather be in a rush, all day long....feeling like the day's going too fast...and I'm not getting enough done as I wanted to! You? You don't have to work hard enough. That's your problem! LOL

Old 01-27-2011, 03:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
My grandpa was in WWII, but I'm not sure how old he was. I guess I could do the math, but I'm too lazy right now. She really doesn't understand how easy she has it.
Probably in his late teens, early 20's. After Pearl Harbor most men (and the women who served) either quit high school to join the service or enlisted immediately after high school graduation.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

I do deserve more money because of the amount of hours I am pulling in. I do deserve more money because I NEED to be able to keep what I am paying for, I do deserve more money because I need to have money to succeed. I am trying to start my life here and if I am constantly broke how I am ever going to get ahead?
You really don't get it. You make what people make when they don't go to college. If this isn't how you want to live for the rest of your life, then you need to get a degree or a certification or something. Quit talking about it and go DO it.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
There are a whole lot of us who have worked much harder, much longer hours, and at much more physical jobs, without complaint...grateful to be physically able to do whatever we wanted to and grateful for a job or jobs! People appreciated hard workers then, just like they do now. The funny thing is, there were a whole lot of other folks out there, even back then, who were chronic whiners, who thought they were worth a whole lot more than they were worth.

I always say, there should be more piece-work jobs out there. If you want to make more than minimum wage, work at a piecework job. At least when you're doing piece-work, you are actually earning what you're worth. The trouble with piece-work? Very few people enjoy it. That's because so few people actually believe in "hard work". Hard work for so many is getting up and getting ready for work...the toughest part of their day! LOL

Yeah txt, you want to earn more money? Go find someone who hires employess and pays "per piece". It gives you the opportunity to set your own wage...IF you're honestly ready to work for it. Hon, you don't WANT to work hard and that's sad! Damn, hard physical labor allows you to stay in shape, AND make money. Honestly, if you add on to your paycheck, what it would cost you to go to the gym to get a good physical workout, you're earning that much more per month. Me? I LOVE hard, physical labor...the day flies by. That's so much better than standing or sitting around all day waiting for quitting time. I'd much rather be in a rush, all day long....feeling like the day's going too fast...and I'm not getting enough done as I wanted to! You? You don't have to work hard enough. That's your problem! LOL

I worked retail on commission. It's the best you really get to EARN your money. Good service was really the difference between and "I don't know" and a "Do you have matching shoes, jewelry and a hand bag?". I loved it. I got to work with people and it gave me a little bit of a competitive edge. I always enjoyed working. It gave me something to do. I can't sit at home all day every day. I go crazy. Heck I had a sick day today and I literally did nothing. Feels nice once and a while. not every day.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
Hopes- I was in the Active Army, the National Guard and the Army Reserves. My husband is Active Army and I now have a contracting job with the USAREC as an Administrative Assistant (for now at least- and it does not pay anything near what a lot of military contractors get paid- it is a myth that all DOD contractors get paid very well)

Old 01-27-2011, 04:23 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
If anyone REALLY want to laugh (and has twitter) you need to follow WhitegrlProblem. It's actually hysterical. Here is a funny one:

whitegrlproblem whitegirlproblems
I had the worst nightmare last night. I was eating a bowl of brown rice and it turned into white rice. #whitegirlproblems

so funny.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Hopes- I was in the Active Army, the National Guard and the Army Reserves. My husband is Active Army and I now have a contracting job with the USAREC as an Administrative Assistant (for now at least- and it does not pay anything near what a lot of military contractors get paid- it is a myth that all DOD contractors get paid very well)
Do you deal w/ REFRADs?
I'm sorry if you do
I was active Army also.
My 1st REFRAD got lost. The 2nd time the officer in charge went on maternity leave & all sorts of things got messed up.
3rd time (close to 8 months later) was a charm.
Fun times!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Probably in his late teens, early 20's. After Pearl Harbor most men (and the women who served) either quit high school to join the service or enlisted immediately after high school graduation.
I just did the math. If he were drafted in '41 he would have been 22. So, he was about that age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting