Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 01:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I totally think this needs to be the family forum,not parenting obviously when discussing children and stuff it turns into family and I think the name should be changed so we can discuss family of all kinds and things that go along with family, like parenting and dealing with other family members because there is no real place to discuss that.
yes! I need an in-law forum! Maybe another sub-forum under relationships or parenting...

Old 01-04-2011, 01:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I totally think this needs to be the family forum,
That's not a bad idea. Some things are more Family than Parenting or Relationships.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:41 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
So..tonight is night #1 of 8:00-9:45 volleyball for my DD, who's 13. I can't say I'm especially thrilled about it- we live 20 minutes from the practice facility and they usually don't get out until about 10 minutes after the scheduled time, plus there's an added 15 minutes in the car for carpool drop-offs, meaning she won't get home until 10:30 (at the earliest). IMO, that is way too late for a school night, especially for middle schoolers! Before the practice schedule changed, the practice ended at 9:00 and I thought that was even pushing it a little.

Thoughts?! Am I being ridiculous to expect that the club directors/coaches will schedule their practices for a reasonable time?

Old 01-04-2011, 02:49 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
strawflower, that is late. Will she need to shower when she gets home? That's putting her to bed even later!

I'd have a hard time with that - especially having to leave the house so late to pick her up! Then again, I'm already in bed by 9pm so I'm probably not a good judge of this sort of thing.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
I see those late hours more and more now. When my sons were doing little league, etc. they tried to push the kid's times back because so many adult leagues wanted to use the same fields. We protested and some, like the seniors, moved to times during the day.

I totally agree. Waaay too late for kids on school nights.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
I also think it is really late. Sports are pushing later and later, though. However, in my experience it has been due to younger kids practicing more than they used to. They take all the early practice times. When I was a kid younger kids practiced once a week and had a game on Saturday. Now they practice two times a week and have at least two games a week. Shoot, a couple years ago I managed an 8 and under softball team. We had either three or four games a week, and the league expected us to practice twice a week. That moves all the practice and game times for the older kids later.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I also think it is really late. Sports are pushing later and later, though. However, in my experience it has been due to younger kids practicing more than they used to. They take all the early practice times. When I was a kid younger kids practiced once a week and had a game on Saturday. Now they practice two times a week and have at least two games a week. Shoot, a couple years ago I managed an 8 and under softball team. We had either three or four games a week, and the league expected us to practice twice a week. That moves all the practice and game times for the older kids later.
Actually, this club has teams ages 12-18 so it really surprises me that they would put the younger teams (there are three 13's teams) at such a late time. The coaches are college kids though, so maybe it's to accommodate their class schedules? I dunno.

I guess I'm just fed up with this whole thing- she played for this club last year as well and it was very, very different. Practice times were well organized (no standing around, coaches weren't on the phone during the practice, etc.), the coaches really did have a passion for the game of volleyball and this year it's totally different. It's frustrating for kids like my DD who really want to be there and get better.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:21 PM

Hmm. Maybe it is for the coaches' schedules. That's the only thing I can think of, but that is extremely late for that age group. The coaches don't sound great to be honest. I mean, I was young when I was a manager, but I knew what I was doing and have an extreme passion for the game.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Hmm. Maybe it is for the coaches' schedules. That's the only thing I can think of, but that is extremely late for that age group. The coaches don't sound great to be honest. I mean, I was young when I was a manager, but I knew what I was doing and have an extreme passion for the game.
Yeah- but IMO, these gals (a freshman and senior in college) should not have made the commitment to coach if they knew they wouldn'tve been able to start practice until 8:00. My other gripe (I know, I know- I sound like one of those nasty sports parents- believe me, I'm not! LOL) is that they're really just not good coaches at all. I suppose they do know how to play the game as they're both college players, but clearly they have no idea how to coach. I've watched the team at practice (their first tournament is this weekend so we'll see how that goes...) and they obviously have great talent and potential, but the coaches have done nothing to make the team "blossom".

Old 01-04-2011, 03:37 PM

Well, sometimes it does take time for a team to "blossom." Although, at that age it shouldn't take much time. It took my team most of the season to "blossom," but most of my girls were six or seven and had never played before.

They should not have made the commitment knowing they couldn't make it to practice until that late if that indeed is the problem.

That seems really young to coach, especially girls in junior high. I don't think the coach-player age gap is big enough really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting