Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 09:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times

Advertisements

Don't you have to wear a uniform as a cop, too? Just sayin'.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:49 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
You think since I am having freedom issues with work that I should go into the military but in the military you wear a uniform, you don't get your cellphone in the beginning, you don't have your car there with you. I can just up and get in my car and go for a drive. My goal in life is to gain freedom and independence, not tie my self down to an organization that would limit my freedoms even more.

That is like 6-8 weeks for BMT and then you go to tech school/AIT. Tech school starts off very restricted but as your class progresses you get freedoms. Even in tech you take off your uniform at the end of the day. Once you graduate tech, its a job. You have your own stuff: car, cellphone, clothing, time off, etc....I don't think you have a clear understanding of what a four-year enlistment would entail. You are thinking of the first six months or so. My husband is in the military and I hardly ever see him in his uniform. He definitely has a life outside of work. And so on...

The police academy is going to really shock you I think. I have a friend who is in it (yes probably the very one you will be attending) and it is rough. It keeps her very busy. It has times meant to try your resolve and see if you can persevere. It has fitness tests you need to pass that are more stringent than in the Air Force. You need to make sure you are ready.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:59 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
I wish I wore a Uniform. That was the hardest adjustment in college for me. I still get up in the morning and think "ewww I need to pick something to wear" and I work in fashion!

I don't have a car, I live in NYC of course tho. But that is one reason I picked to live here. I couldn't stand a "car culture". Just the other week a friend and I where in Miami and we could barely get around in a car. We laughed at how glad we are we walk and take the subway everywhere. Not having a car was very liberating.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:24 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
I always wanted to have to wear a uniform to school. I think it's because I always craved a better education and associated uniforms with that. Shoot, I was even drawn to universities in Thailand because they wear uniforms. Then I figured that I'd probably get a better education here.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
The police academy is going to really shock you I think. I have a friend who is in it (yes probably the very one you will be attending) and it is rough. It keeps her very busy. It has times meant to try your resolve and see if you can persevere. It has fitness tests you need to pass that are more stringent than in the Air Force. You need to make sure you are ready.
At this point we can't even determine if she's even started the process of applying. NEOhioBound asked twice. Earlier I said something about setting goals and was replied to that I should know she's going into the police academy. But we really haven't gotten any answer as to what she's doing to get there. Hopefully that's just an over sight, but I think it's a lot of talk, no action - that's she's paralyzed to actually do it because what happens if she doesn't get in?

txt, I hope you've already started the process, starting talking to people about what you need to do, etc., and start preparing for it. But with all these health issues and anxiety, I think you're going to have problems anyway getting in. You're picking a career that's unbelievably stressful and anxiety ridden. If you are having trouble coping with what you are doing now, you probably aren't cut out to be a cop.

I agree you need to drop the BB&B job or cut the hours. It's not worth it.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
At this point we can't even determine if she's even started the process of applying. NEOhioBound asked twice.
Morning everyone!

I've asked about the application over and over. And always get ignored. I'm not sure she wants to BE a cop, she just wants to hang out with cops. One of my brothers was career military. (Now retired.) As Lisdol said, he most certainly had "stuff". And a wife and three sons and all their "stuff". I doubt she's even talked with anyone about that as an option.

Anyone here Scottish? We went to a small Robert Burns Dinner last night. No haggis since it's illegal to import into this country. But there were toasts and speeches and a good time was had by all.

I won't tell you what the temperature is going to be here today.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:13 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
dramaqueen wants what she wants, feels she's entitled to it, and expects to get it without having to actually earn it. Just like most 13-year-old girls who are spoiled rotten by doting grandmothers.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:15 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I'm part Scottish! Sounds fun! We have a good Scottish Festival and a good Irish Festival here.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:16 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've asked about the application over and over. And always get ignored. I'm not sure she wants to BE a cop, she just wants to hang out with cops. One of my brothers was career military. (Now retired.) As Lisdol said, he most certainly had "stuff". And a wife and three sons and all their "stuff". I doubt she's even talked with anyone about that as an option.

My sister's boyfriend is in the army and as a going away present we bought him a computer. I believe it was after he went to basic training. He has his computer, cell phone and even his own apartment with all of his civillian clothing.

It's the military, not prision.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm part Scottish! Sounds fun! We have a good Scottish Festival and a good Irish Festival here.
What's the one in Estes Park every year? It's a Scottish Festival I think. Have you ever been?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting