Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times

Advertisements

I would switch daycare centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
My DD has been at the same daycare since she was 9 weeks old- she is now 5 months. Overall I had been pleased with the place. It is clean & the kids seemed happy.

When I first toured the place when I was in my late pregnancy I noticed the teacher laying babies(both around 12 weeks old) on boppy pillows on the floor, one to each side & feeding them both at the same time as opposed to holding them. I asked them about this & they said it was a "time management" thing they did because otherwise they would spend all day doing feeding rounds. I explained that I did not want this for my child -that I wanted her held during feedings since for babies that age it is about bonding as much as nutrition. They added a note to her instruction sheet stating she was to be held during feedings & everytime I dropped in they were doing so.

She is now 5 months old.Well today I unexpectley got off 2 hours early. I walked into her classroom to find teachers standing & chatting (one texting somebody) and my daughter lying flat on a bean bag holding her own bottle with a towel underneath for propping. My instinct was to be furious.
I asked to speak with the director.He told me that my daugher was showing intrest in holding her on bottle and they were "simply letting her assert her independence, and that doing so was this was standard practice".I explained that even if my daughter can hold her bottle for a few minutes-who's to say shes not sucking air or let milk drain into her ear canals. She has been to the Dr numerous times for congestion & drainage.He asked me why I did'nt tell them she is not allowed to feed herself!!

I can understand letting an older baby feed themselves if the room is out of control but if you are setting around doing nothing -holding & feeding a child doesn't seem like to much too ask for 700 a month plus supply fees. We don't know how long she has been doing it, but we have noticed she only eats 2 5 ounce bottles a day there & then eats 6oz every 2 hours when she gets home. I also asked if they gave her her cereal & I was told "she's been asleep". From 8am to 2:40pm- really???

What do you think parents? Is it perfectly fine for a 5 month old to self feed in a daycare setting? Did I freak over nothing? and is this common practice everywhere?

I do not think you are overeacting! Just the fact that the child is being left unattended on a bean bag would be enough to make me go ballistic. I don't know what the regulations are, but you need to find a new daycare. If at all possible make more surprise visits. When my son was younger I had him in a daycare that was recommended by a friend, for reasons I won't go into I was not very happy with them. I found a wonderful place that no matter when I showed up the staff was friendly the kids were cared for and happy. Good Luck.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Well, sad to say, but you probably won't find a place that is any different. They will all "say" they are better, but child care workers are low paid, and for the most part, uneducated, and usually unmotivated. Sorry, I know that there are some good ones out there...but when I did public assistance, the best job to get someone off of welfare, was child care worker, and that is where I placed most of my people who got off of welfare, and they were kicking and screaming the whole way to that process of getting off of public assistance. I placed them in Day care, and as CNA's. So, the quality may not be what is ideal workers, with a high work ethic.

That being said, try to find a stay at home Mom, or stay home until your child is two, that is what I did...

Old 01-04-2011, 03:00 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well, sad to say, but you probably won't find a place that is any different. They will all "say" they are better, but child care workers are low paid, and for the most part, uneducated, and usually unmotivated. Sorry, I know that there are some good ones out there...but when I did public assistance, the best job to get someone off of welfare, was child care worker, and that is where I placed most of my people who got off of welfare, and they were kicking and screaming the whole way to that process of getting off of public assistance. I placed them in Day care, and as CNA's. So, the quality may not be what is ideal workers, with a high work ethic.

That being said, try to find a stay at home Mom, or stay home until your child is two, that is what I did...
This is so true. When my DD was a baby and I considered day care, I looked around until I found a place that I thought might be suitable. A few days later, I called there (disguised voice) inquiring about employement. No degree necessary, no real experience necessary other than babysitting. No CPR requirements or anything else. Hmmmm.... I decided to call a few other centers and they were all the same. Not one had any real requirements to be a care giver for these precious children.

I never ended up putting my DD in any type of child care but, looking back, I probably would have preferred a SAHM rather than a center.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:27 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
This is so true. When my DD was a baby and I considered day care, I looked around until I found a place that I thought might be suitable. A few days later, I called there (disguised voice) inquiring about employement. No degree necessary, no real experience necessary other than babysitting. No CPR requirements or anything else. Hmmmm.... I decided to call a few other centers and they were all the same. Not one had any real requirements to be a care giver for these precious children.

I never ended up putting my DD in any type of child care but, looking back, I probably would have preferred a SAHM rather than a center.
If that's the case, then it is your state that is the problem and not the centers themselves. States regulate everything regarding licensed child care.

Texas is certainly not the highest standards, as I've posted before. You must be at least 18, have a high school diploma and be free of TB. That's the only requirements the state has to be hired as an entry level child care provider.

However in order to actually work in child care you have to have 8 hours training in certain areas before you can ever be in charge of a group of children. You also have to be certified in First Aid and at least one person per classroom of children must also be certified in CPR, which usually translates into everyone. Those working with infants and toddlers must also be schooled in Shaken Baby Syndrome. Our city requires a Food Handlers (food safety) certificate on top of all that.

You also must pass a background check prior to working with children and get an affidavit signed and notarized.

Then you have to have 15 hours of training each year of which First Aid, CPR, SBS or Food Handler do not count towards.

If you want to be in an administrative position you must have either a degree or a certain amount of college credits in early childhood education plus business management and obtain 20 hours a year training and a certain amount of experience. There may be more, but off the top of my head that's what I can recall.

You can't just walk in off the street and start in child care that day or the next.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:00 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post

What state do you live in?

In my state, you can't even be a teen summer lifeguard without CPR cert.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM

17 posts, read 25,582 times
It is not their decision to allow her to "assert her independence." She is a five month old infant, they ARE NOT independent. My daughter also showed signs of holding her own bottle at that age, but I never once allowed her to remain unattended while being fed.

Currently my seven month old is still trying to hold her bottle on her own (I'm actually thinking of getting those bottles with the side handles that look like sippy cups with nipples!) but I still have her sit on my lap and hold it with her. I have been around infants and children since I was 12 (I'm 23 now) and at one time or another it was upwards of 5 kids when I was 17. It was a ball of a time, and I thank god they were all well behaved. But if your day care is saying they need to specifically "time manage" they should perhaps consider hiring more man power.

Luckily, I haven't had to return back to work just yet. And even if I did we still could not afford the prices some of these places charge to watch my daughter. I am literally scared to death to trust strangers with my children regardless of the facade they may keep when people come to "take a look around".

Good luck in finding a new place!

Old 01-18-2011, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,470 times
I was a child care provider for infants and toddlers for 10 years, for 5 at a 5 star/accredited center, and propping a bottle is a BIG NO NO. Many directors will support their teachers EVEN WHEN THEY ARE WRONG. If you are even the SLIGHTEST uncomfortable with your child being there, you should change providers. Good luck to you and your little one! Take advantage of the open door policy and do early pick up's from time to time, even at the new facility. There should be no texting, etc in the classrooms.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:33 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know if you are overreacting or not, or if you should change daycare facilities.

I do know this: nobody else will ever do for your child exactly what, and in the same way, you would. No matter what they say or how much you pay them. It's just a fact of life.

There are some things you need to fight for and there are some things you have to accept when you let others care for your child. Only you can decide what you are comfortable with.
I agree. As badly as it may suck, if you change daycares now, chances are you'll find something wrong with the other and spend the greater part of your life finding what you deem adequate care. No one will do it like you want it done - you're the mom so of course you're overly picky. In this instance, you must choose your battles wisely. If they are going against codes and regulations, then yes you should report it. However, I sensed some snottiness in your post (about the worker who was texting/talking.)

Old 01-19-2011, 01:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
No Texting on the job. That should be understood. If you have a break, then you can call or test but certainly not on the job. Nothing snotty about that.

You best bet would be a stay at home mom or a child who could either be brought to your home or most moms would prefer to have you bring the baby to her home. I did that so I could be home with my own chldren. Great playmates for my kids and I was more flexible for the flight attendant moms I worked for.

But be forewarned. You probably will not be able to get the child care credit if you pay an individual to come to your home or watch your child in her home. Most women in this situation are not going to declare this income and will not be willing to sign anything or give you their SS#.

However if you are willing to pay unemployment, ss taxes, etc you might find somebody who will do it. I sure wouldn't unless you were paying TOP BUCKS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting