Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times

Advertisements

I think NPN in Chicago runs some seminars on the topic, although I'm not sure.

We're probably moving to Chicago, but we've decided not to go with a gifted or a classical program even if my son could get in. I've just read too many negatives that come along with the "more work means better education" mentality that seems to be stressed in those programs. Given the problems with many CPS schools (some are very, very good; some are very, very bad) and the difficulties in getting into magnets, I can understand why the OP is stressed, though. Those of you living in areas with decent public schools should cut her a break. This is probably not so much "child as accessory" as it is desperation to ensure access to a quality public school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 10:58 AM

972 posts, read 2,443,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrhm View Post
My kid is going to take classical elite school program test next week. He is only 6 years old. I dont' know what they are going to test him. Is there anyway to prepare our kids for such fun test?

Thanks.
I'll treat this like a real question that deserves an answer. First, you must keep your child's anxiety level down. Second, do not thing to prep him. IF he needs an advance program, let his natural abilities show that. If he is pumped full of test taking strategies, facts, etc. then he may gain admittance to something that is, in reality, over his head.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:37 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think NPN in Chicago runs some seminars on the topic, although I'm not sure.

We're probably moving to Chicago, but we've decided not to go with a gifted or a classical program even if my son could get in. I've just read too many negatives that come along with the "more work means better education" mentality that seems to be stressed in those programs. Given the problems with many CPS schools (some are very, very good; some are very, very bad) and the difficulties in getting into magnets, I can understand why the OP is stressed, though. Those of you living in areas with decent public schools should cut her a break. This is probably not so much "child as accessory" as it is desperation to ensure access to a quality public school.
Yes. If we lived in Chicago, our kids would either have to get into one of the magnet programs (extremely difficult) or go to private school. Seeing as we aren't made of money, we probably wouldn't live in an area with one of the good public schools. Public schools in Chicago get really, really bad.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:18 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,362 times
Christ in heaven, George Carlin was not joking when he lambasted parents stressing over their child's Kindergarten entrance exams.

I wouldn't be worried about the content of the course. They will hardly be feeding calculus to a 6 or 7 year old.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Many Chicago suburbs have decent public schools and while they are not necessarily inexpensive, they may not be out of reach.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
Not saying the OP is like this but wealthy new yorkers put so much emphasis on image and status and of course their children are an extension. There are WAIT LISTS for the "best" preschools before the couple are even pregnant. Imagine being born, much less raised in that kind of competitive environment?

Pity the poor average kid. I'm sure he/she is made to feel so inferior if it can't get into an Elite School, at any age. No wonder they are Trust Fund Babies. They need bags of money to pay for lifetime of therapy.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM

526 posts, read 1,002,987 times
I agree that many people can go way over the top in striving for what they feel is the "best" for thier children, but New York City is a completely different animal. I have friends that live in Manhattan. As soon as their twins were born they started looking for pre-schools for their kids. Unfortunately the children weren't accepted to any pre-school even remotely convenient for them. They had to settle for a "drop-off center" which was really just a daycare. Imagine wanting your kids to go to pre-school, willing to pay top dollar and your children still can't go.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:18 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,134 times
While I moved as far out of NYC as I could (across the country) when we decided to have children and I do think the preschool bit is insane, I CAN understand the concern of parents in NYC for older kids, the public schools are mostly terrible and the private schools fill up fast.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
While I moved as far out of NYC as I could (across the country) when we decided to have children and I do think the preschool bit is insane, I CAN understand the concern of parents in NYC for older kids, the public schools are mostly terrible and the private schools fill up fast.

yeah that makes sense. And I'm sure many NYC parents are just as frustrated and/or put off by the system as those of us who are non-new yorkers, but I guess there is not too much they can do short of moving. when in rome.....

Old 01-09-2011, 07:11 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
Likelihood of advancing school's programs and or profile
Likelihood to make large and "positive" contributions to the school
Merely curious, but is this determined by what you learn about the child, or what you learn about the child's parents? What sort of things do you look for to make this determination?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting