Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:51 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times

Advertisements

It's really sad that she can't play outside. I was a latch key kid in the 90's in a low income area starting in Kindergarten. My sister was a year older than I was and got home about half an hour after I did since she went to a different school. We were allowed to play outside and knew how to do so while being safe. She's obviously very lonely and needs interaction with people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Call CPS. I don't care if there is a "law" or not about what age a child can be left alone. This kid is wandering the neighborhood, knocking on people's doors, etc. She has no supervision whatsoever and she could easily become a statistic. Also, the parents sound like a-holes. Laughing off the daughter being chased by another child with a knife? Real smart.
She does sound lonely and neglected, desperate for attention.

Often the law isn't specific on the age but on the situation. The police here told me that if they get a call on latchkey children, if they see 7 or 8 year olds home alone but inside doing homework, doors locked, kids calm, phone numbers available and it's only for a couple hours - it's okay but there can be 15 or 16 year olds that shouldn't be left home alone.

It depends often on the situation, the length of time, the maturity of the child.

It sounds like this little girl should be in some after-school program even if the parents have to pay a little of their precious money for it.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:32 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
Who is taking care of the brand new baby? Can't that person watch this girl too? From what the OP writes she doesn't sound like a bad kid, just a sad and lonely kid.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:12 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
This is so sad, and a perfect example of lazy parenting. A 10 year old needs some type of supervision. I'm freaked out by her being 'cute', playing with older boys, and needing attention. That leads to nothing but trouble.

I would call mom or dad, at work, everytime you see something they should know. They may not care much about their daughter, but I bet they care a lot about their job.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I do feel sorry for this girl; it seems like many of the neighborhood parents have forbidden their kids to play with her.

You might try calling social services; that age 10 from that chart may not be hard and fast.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Who is taking care of the brand new baby? Can't that person watch this girl too? From what the OP writes she doesn't sound like a bad kid, just a sad and lonely kid.
When the baby was born the mom had maternity leave and we would see her outside walking the baby around in a stroller. I spoke with her a few times. She said a relative was going to watch the baby when she goes back to work, I can't remember if she said it was an aunt or MIL...

Now when we see her leave for work, she puts the baby in the car. And when we see her come home, she has the baby with her.

I don't really believe in "bad kids". I think kids are the way they are because of their life situations and how they've been treated by other people up to that point. So, I really don't think this girl is a "bad kid". She lies and she also fights (when we used to let the kids come inside, if she was bored or frustrated because the boys didn't want to play what she wanted to play, she would start physical fights with the other kids... hitting and kicking and pulling hair...). I think she's lonely and needing her parents. I think she acts out for attention and because she's unhappy. She is very cute - you know those kids that just seem to stand out from the crowd because of their physical appearance? I mean, all kids are beautiful but there are just some that are too cute for words. She's one of those kids and she knows it, too. I think that's why she's so good at lying, because she can be so charming and sweet when she wants to be.

Anyway, I really don't like calling CPS. I have only done that one time in my life, and it was because I felt that the children were being physically and verbally abused. I saw and heard really horrible things going on and the family - mother included - seemed really scared of the father. And what was horrible... is that two days after I called CPS on that situation, the family packed up and moved in the middle of the night! We never saw them again. They even left furniture and things behind. I spoke to a teacher at the school about what had happened, and she said unfortunately that is common with abusive situations. That once they think CPS or the police have been called, they move. They keep moving because they feel they can outrun the paper trail and they won't face charges or have their children taken away. So sad.

Anyway... that's a whole 'nother story... but in this case, with the girl, I just feel like she's lonely and her parents are too distant from her. They are aware of what she does, they just aren't doing anything about it. That's why I really don't know if talking to them will do anything except perhaps make them angry at me for sticking my nose in their business.

If I called CPS everytime I saw a lonely kid with clueless distracted parents I'd never get off the phone...

Old 02-21-2011, 10:48 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
It's very sad that this child does not have the adult guidance that she so desperately craves and needs. I'm sure the other parents don't want their children hanging out with her because they can see the trouble brewing down the road. With parents like this child has,she really can't be blamed for her actions...We had children come over after school, whose parents worked...and I could only be there for them, listen to them, and try to give them some guidance,....but it was very hard when they know that their own parents were not making the time, nor the arrangements needed to keep them safe.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:48 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
If I called CPS everytime I saw a lonely kid with clueless distracted parents I'd never get off the phone...
Well, let's just hope this kid doesn't become a statistic because she's lonely, looking for attention, and has no one to go to.

Anyway, you spoke to the mother before. Why not approach her again??? I would tell her that her daughter is wandering the neighborhood aimlessly, knocking on people's doors and seems lonely and in need of attention.

Is there a way you could babysit her?? Maybe you can suggest to the mother that you will supervise her after school until 6pm for "x" amount per week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting