Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 04:42 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,303 times

Advertisements

I know that there are many children that read above their grade level. There are some great selections of literature that are available in multiple levels. This does help with keeping the content age appropriate. However, there comes a point when the parent, teacher, etc. have to make decisions as to the appropriateness of the content for the child.

How do you do this? Do you have a website or a resource that you use? Do you read the book with the child?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 04:43 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,303 times
My mature but still young 8 year old saw my copy of Amazon.com: The Secret Life of Bees: Sue Monk Kidd: Books (I have the 2001 version with a jar of honey on the cover) and thought it looked interesting. It's a 7.2 grade level book (according to Scholastic). I'm fine with that. But I the content, ummmm, I'm not sure. I don't remember anything way out of her comprehension.

I'm leaning towards NO on this book right now. With a 14 year old main character, I think it may be a little more 'adult' than she needs at 8. JMO

NOTE: There is a movie coming out that was made from the book. The Secret Life of Bees (2008) in case you didn't know.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:46 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
My daughter's school has an awesome website that allows me to look up book by level, content etc. It is affiliated with their AR program. Does your kid's school have one like that?

As for monitoring, I often will read the back of the books with her at the linrary and we pick them out together. Or she will like certain authors that I know are fine. She will get those on her own.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
My daughter teacher used to place books in a basket based on her reading level. This was only temporary, at times a child who have access to a library would choose different books. I don't believe in full censorship, so I allowed her to read. It all depends on the age of child. Yes, as parents we need to direct their attention to other books, but we must allow them to stimulate their minds with books they we might deem inappropriate. My daughter would put down the books after reading a couple of pages when she found it over the top. Children who are mature and able to process what they read must be challenged. What do you do with a child who is in elementary, but read at high school level. They have no alternative but to read books, adults may find unfitting.

Sum1else, my daughter did read The Secret Lives of Bees in the 6th grade. This book was so fabulous, I gave it to all my sisters and dear friends on Mother's Day.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:15 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
we've been dealing with this for a few years w/my oldest....she was reading at a 11th grade level at 3rd grade. Soooo.....we alter it as she matures. I found the James Herrion stories were great for her. the reading levels were up to par, but the stories weren't anything that I felt was too much for her. The only problems she had were some of the heavy English slang, but we worked through that just fine together. Depending on what grade your child is in, you might check into the Maximum Ride books by James Patterson. Also, the Eragon series, and the Inkspell series. Nicholas Sparks book "A Walk To Remember" Id think would be okay for a 6th grader...most of his others have some sex in them, nothin like a VC Andrews book, but still....
some of the older classics might be worth lookin into as well.
best of luck!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:54 AM

168 posts, read 672,401 times
I think that a child should be allowed to read whatever they themselves (without influence from others) choose to read. If a child is capable of comprehending the reading level or makes the effort to discern the meaning using the dictionary or query, I think that should be encouraged. What I object to is for outside influences to "guide" a child's reading. I think it is inappropriate for a teacher, a preacher, or even a parent to pointedly attempt to influence and manipulate a child's world view by focusing their "curiosity" through solicitation or persuasion.

I really object to
* purposeful destruction of innocence,
* purposely exposing children to the carnal, the traumatic, the malicious
* insisting a child read only "approved" content (on one side or another of any given ideological, social, or political perspective),
* discouraging their own (emphasis on their own) curiosity-driven choices

But it's SO HARD today to allow natural and free development. Between television, school, and peers, never mind the extreme chism in the socio-political culture we live in, raising a child so that they can grow up in a balanced, free, and cultivating environment is REALLY tough.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:01 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times
My 4th grader reads at a 7th grade level. It is hard because a lot of books for the older kids have material that isn't appropriate for her. She is still only 9 years old!

The teacher and the librarian have made suggestions on Authors that would be good for her. Good stories, without the sexual stuff and violence that I don't feel she is ready for.

I'd talk to the teacher or librarian at your library!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:48 AM

705 posts, read 1,758,834 times
I'm sorry, but I do screen what my 8 year old reads. It is just as inappropriate to expose him to adult themes of sex and violence as it would be to allow him to choose whatever movie he would like to watch. This is not 'censorship', it is good sense! I am not stifling his curiosity about his world by screening his books and exposure to other art forms. He is simply not ready to see sexual scenes or a person being burned, and is not ready to read about those things either.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:02 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
I remember in 3rd or 4th grade reading To Kill A Mockingbird and A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. Looking back, I feel like those books seem too mature in content for that age. But at the time, I just got what I wanted out of the books and passed over the rest. I remember thinking that To Kill A Mockingbird was just about Boo Radley leaving little gifts for the kids in the tree. When I read it again in 8th grade I remember being surprised that it was really about racism and the trial and all that. I just passed over that stuff when I was little though. So, I think in a lot of respects that it's okay for kids to read books with more mature content because they'll take from it what they can handle. To a certain extent of course - I'd say known literature in general should be fine at least.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:29 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
When my dd was in second grade she checked out "Hello God, It's Me, Margaret." She wasn't understanding the content and I looked at it and just told her they were talking about things she wasn't quite ready for yet. She just returned it to the library and found something she liked better. Her teacher said that happens sometimes and told her what color dot (in the AR) books would have better content for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting