Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I think the OP was talking dollars, not individual items.
I knew that's what she meant and I still find that extreme....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:58 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times
What is a gift if it has strings attached?

Yes, saving is important, but so is the joy of childhood.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:26 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
Because children are not looking forward, but rather, are living in the moment. A five year old wants a doll, and they will not get the fact that she can't have it because the money is going to the college fund.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
a child learns through play.

children play with toys.

without things to play with (whether its a $5 toy or a $50 toy), a child is likely not to develop to their full potential.

If they don't develop to their full potential, they wont get into college, so its a moot point.

I certainly don't agree with excessive gift giving and giving them everything they want, but toys and books are how kids learn, especially in their younger years. I see no reason why you can't give a small gift and make a small donation to their college fund if you want- thats great. but a donation alone wont garner any smiles from a 5 year old.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I assume it was dollars. It would be interesting to see what that number includes, though; many of our gifts have included such essentials as clothing. Baby gifts, in particular, are often very practical.

Besides, gifts are gifts. Unless someone has asked, you can't exactly demand that friends and relatives give your kid only savings bonds (which is a GREAT present, by the way; just supplement them with a little something for the here-and-now!) or contribute to a savings fund.

And as noted, toys do have value for the future! (although I hope people don't only plan their lives around what is practical)

Old 03-09-2011, 03:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
everyone wants to be the "fun aunt" or whatever. I get what the OP is saying. I get fed up with all the crap we have around here, a lot of which doesn't get played with. There needs to be a balance - some toys, some savings. If you want to be the one to give the practical gift, go ahead.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:30 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I think you can find a balance between throwaway toys and investing in a child's future. What about membership to a local children's museum, or a magazine subscription? My great-grandmother subscribed to Highlights for me for years, and I pored over those things every month. My grandparents got my two younger children a subscription, and they love getting it in the mail. There are plenty of educational toys from Melissa & Doug, Lego, etc. Heck, crayons and an art pad. I'm not a big fan of the Leapster and other videogame-style stuff. I think kids need to play and run around and pretend and build things--and read real books. Helping a kid do those things is just as much of an investment into his future as putting a check into a college fund.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:05 AM

5 posts, read 6,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
play is an essential part of a child's development (and is just plain fun!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Why? Because a 5 yr old's face lights up a whole lot more with a few "unimportant" trinkets to play with than a check for $50 toward his/her college education.

Not to say you can't do a bit of each but to say that anything that is not put away for the future is not intelligent or is wasteful is a bit extreme and takes some of the fun out of life.
I agree with you two... I come off totally anti in the original post which is not the case at all. You definitely have to leave some fun for the kids in there

I guess what I am trying to talk about is finding a BALANCE here

Old 03-14-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
With our first set of kids, I found myself too much focused on number of gifts under the tree or around the birthday cake. I also felt like each kid had to have the same number of gifts to open. this was encouraged by a son who counted everything and kept track to make sure it was all "fair".

It didn't take me too long to figure out I could not continue with that. At about 2nd grade when they were learning about money, I taught them about value and how one $12 hard back book would be worth much more than 12 $1 trinkets. I'm happy to say they caught on but it wasn't always easy.

Now with this second set of kids I knew not to start off with a bunch of silly trinkets.Case in point...silly bands. Remember those? Do you even hear about them anymore? We bought 1 packet each for our girls and encouraged them to share with each other and friends. That seemed to be enough for them but their friends got so many packs of silly bands I know some had $25-$50 worth.

So I started asking them :"which do you want - a family day trip to the zoo or a boat load of plastic toys " of course they wanted the zoo.

That is not to say they didn't have or don't have a bunch of cheap plastic toys. We get them at garage sales, swap with neighbors, etc.
Christmas stockings are filled with new underwear, pencils, markers, glue sticks, scissors, hair clips-things they need and enjoy anyway.
Only 4 or 5 "real" gifts like electronic equipment, games, bikes, books, etc.

Easter basket: little candy, Wii games, books, outdoor chalk, bubbles, garden tools

Birthday- home made cake to take to school, nice family day trip.

We don't skimp on surprises but it is usually art supplies, reading material and family activities

Also I'm proud to say I saved most of the good toys from the first kids so now the second ones have endless tinker toys, leggos, wooden building blocks, cars and action figures. We give them out a bit at a time.
I think this recession has forced many parents to really think about what they get for their kids entertainment. We don't have to buy a bunch of cheap trinkets. A pack of origami paper and a library book about origami projects will give so much more enjoyment than 25 plastic farm animals.
Great Post no kudzu

You actually gave me a couple really good ideas for some gifts in this upcoming year.

Thanks so much.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
a child learns through play.

children play with toys.

without things to play with (whether its a $5 toy or a $50 toy), a child is likely not to develop to their full potential.

If they don't develop to their full potential, they wont get into college, so its a moot point.

I certainly don't agree with excessive gift giving and giving them everything they want, but toys and books are how kids learn, especially in their younger years. I see no reason why you can't give a small gift and make a small donation to their college fund if you want- thats great. but a donation alone wont garner any smiles from a 5 year old.
I agree... I didnt mean to say that I dont believe in any gifts at all, just trying to find a BALANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
everyone wants to be the "fun aunt" or whatever. I get what the OP is saying. I get fed up with all the crap we have around here, a lot of which doesn't get played with. There needs to be a balance - some toys, some savings. If you want to be the one to give the practical gift, go ahead.
Totally agree. Which is why I have made this post.

I have been looking around the net a lot on this it interests me not only for the benefit of the children, but also sociologically as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting