Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 06:15 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
how close are you? How about you, Maciesmom?

I don't mind the HOA much. We'd keep things looking nice anyway, so it mostly just keeps the neighbors doing it too.
VERY.
My brother said he saw "snow" floating and flying over the house, they didn't know about the fire and I was like did you guys know the towns on fire and my brother was like oh that was ash not snow then....

They've notified 10,000 people, evacuated over 8,900, and the winds are about 40mph.

About 1/4 of the area is being affected by this.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
I've been through so many brush fires (including evacs) I lost count. If you even think, txt (and MM thinking of you too!) it's going to affect you put all your important papers in a bag and keep it by the door where you can grab it and go. If the wind shifts and they do evacuate you you won't have time to get what you need. If it really looks serious gather up the pets and photos and whatever treasures you can't bear to loose and put them in your car now. Back the car into your driveway so you can get away quickly. Make sure you have enough gas.

Keep your TV or radio on and listen. They will tell you where the evacuation centers are. Fingers crossed.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:46 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Be safe MM and txt.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Thansk Dew and Zimbo....Update - the fire is 50% contained and still in a mostly rural area but certainly the high winds are cause for concern. I'm a ways away from it. Not specifically sure how close txt is but I haven't heard specific concern for the "town" overall....many of the evacuations have been lifted but we'll see as time goes on....

Old 03-24-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've been through so many brush fires (including evacs) I lost count. If you even think, txt (and MM thinking of you too!) it's going to affect you put all your important papers in a bag and keep it by the door where you can grab it and go. If the wind shifts and they do evacuate you you won't have time to get what you need. If it really looks serious gather up the pets and photos and whatever treasures you can't bear to loose and put them in your car now. Back the car into your driveway so you can get away quickly. Make sure you have enough gas.

Keep your TV or radio on and listen. They will tell you where the evacuation centers are. Fingers crossed.
That's what my mom is doing.
I'm having trouble even getting started since my room is such a wreck with all the clothes all over the place.
But I am working on working on it.

I don't have that much I need to pack up since my mom has all the really valuable stuff in her room.

But yes we are prepping in case the fire comes towards the west.
The winds pick up over night a lot here and it gets crazy at night and hopefully they don't shift to the west.

I am looking out my window and the wind is picking up IN town and its blowing west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Be safe MM and txt.
Thanks.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Thansk Dew and Zimbo....Update - the fire is 50% contained and still in a mostly rural area but certainly the high winds are cause for concern. I'm a ways away from it. Not specifically sure how close txt is but I haven't heard specific concern for the "town" overall....many of the evacuations have been lifted but we'll see as time goes on....
I am VERY close.
Like I could see the smoke from a road right by my house.
And the fire got worse its back to only 30% contained from 50% and the winds are now blowing SW so towards me.....

Old 03-24-2011, 07:10 PM

I am just miles from the fire.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Hey, Jcoop, my son planted a pumpkin patch in our front yard one year.

I couldn't imagine what it's like to live in an HOA community. HOAs aren't popular in my region. Pennsylvanians are really big on individual freedom. I've heard HOAs are becoming more popular in the eastern part of the state due to transplants from NY, NJ and MD moving into the region.

I really can't understand why people want to dictate what neighbors do with their homes. Granted, our property isn't meticulously maintained in my region but that doesn't bring down property values. People here don't judge the value of homes based on homes down the street here because buyers don't have that mindset.

Hearing about HOAs around the country makes me sort of afraid to relocate elsewhere. I've been wanting to move to another city for the experience of living somewhere else, but I don't want to move into an HOA neighborhood. The way people talk, it sounds like some regions are all HOA.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Oh, my! Stay safe maciesmom and txtqueen. Listen to Dew and gather everything important--just in case. It's always better to be prepared for no reason than to not be prepared.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I hope you all stay safe and away from the fire. That said...txtqueen. Now maybe you have some vague idea why it's a good idea to keep your room moderately straightened, or at least somewhat organized. Just remember the more crap you have, the easier it'll be for a fire to completely destroy your room and everything in it.

Although, I doubt even an emergency mandated evactuation will contribute to your comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting