Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:58 AM

5 posts, read 6,999 times

Advertisements

a little background: My son is 26, has cerebral palsy. Cognitively he is fine (graduated college!), can speak clearly, but physically he is like a 10 month old. He must have assistance doing basic things like dressing, bathoom, showering, combing hair, preparing meals, etc. I need the "extra" money, the child support, for things like physical therapy, personal care assitance, occupational therapy, braces for his legs, wheelchairs, etc. My salry does not afford those things once I pay our living expenses. and for the record, I live in a modest duplex paying less than 700 rent so that maybe gives you an idea that I am not living beyond my means or anything like that, I truly need the help and don't feel like our son is just my responsibility, meanwhile my ex adopted his current wife's son....and had 3 more kids with her AFTER our son was born. His "excuse" for not paying has always been "I can't afford it" Um, no, what you couldn't afford is to have 4 more children and live in a 300,000.00 house...and not work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 07:59 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PissedinMO View Post
I am living this nightmare. My ex owes child support on our disabled son. Instead, he is somehoe eligable for welfare (a 47 yr old healthy man) along with his current wife and their 4 kids. My son however, who has Cerebral Palsy and lives with me is NOT on welfare, I go to work every day! So, child support enforcement is waiting for ME to give them a good address for my ex (like he would call and tell me where he lives... come on) but yet, he is in the Social Services System currently collecting welfare.

I requested child support enformcement cross reference with Welfare records to get an accurate address and they "do not have access to those records"

This must change. If you don't give the welfare system a good address you are cut off and if they have a good address for you, child support enforcement can keep track of you!

How to change the laws so that they actually protect US single parents who are actually working, and need the additional income for things like Physical Therapy, etc.

Anyonw with answers I'd LOVE to hear them
My aunts ex husband owed her child support for my 2 cousins. Never got a cent of it. Her ex got on social security and now (even though both kids are over 18) she gets money put on this little pre paid debit card thing each month. I dont know if the rules are different by state he lives in N.C. and my Aunt is in OH.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:03 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PissedinMO View Post
My son has never worked so HE is not eligible for Social Security disability or the like.
There are two different programs. SSDI is for people who have worked and paid into the system. It is an insurance program
SSI is a means tested program for people who have never worked or who have not worked and paid into the SS system for long enough. Your son may qualify.
You have to have worked to collect SSDI. You do NOT have to have worked to collect SSI.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
I am sorry for your predicament.

I have always been of the mind that if I decided to divorce my husband, I better be able to make it on my own.

Hope others can learn from your troubles. You cannot force anyone to work.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:08 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
There are two different programs. SSDI is for people who have worked and paid into the system. It is an insurance program
SSI is a means tested program for people who have never worked or who have not worked and paid into the SS system for long enough. Your son may qualify.
You have to have worked to collect SSDI. You do NOT have to have worked to collect SSI.

yea my nephew gets SSI and hes only 9 so you dont have to work to get it.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:12 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
I can understand your frustration with your ex and the system.

BUT

He is so broke that he is living on welfare. If you were to go 'public', or to hire an attorney, it would be a waste of your time and money. He doesn't, at this point, have the $14k he owes you, or he wouldn't be eligible for public assistance. If you have verifiable information that he actually has money and is hiding assets, that's a different story. Also, distasteful as it is that he had more children without being capable (by lack of money or character) of supporting his first child, the fact remains that his other 4 children also have a right to be supported. While they may threaten to suspend his license, what good would that do - other than to guarantee he can't go find a job, work and make money? I hope you're not so angry that you are more focused on vengence than finding real help for your child - because it doesn't sound like the father is even capable of pitching in at this point.

I hope you can find financial help with your child - but beating a dead horse does no one any good.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:12 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times
Here is a link with more info on the 2 programs

What is the Difference Between SSI and SSDI?

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 04-15-2011 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 AM

378 posts, read 576,983 times
Take thee son's phone away and break all contact with the dead beat dad. He will pop up eventually to file a claim and make public his address.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:27 AM

596 posts, read 889,976 times
Have you tried to get his address via Intelius? I think it's about $15, but I would say it would be a good investment in your case.

www.intelius.com

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2011, 08:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
The SSI title for benefits for your son is found in chapter 11.07: Cerebral Palsy - Adults. Getting SSI for cerebral palsy is not a slam dunk, but given your sons extreme physical limitations it sounds like you have a very good case. In general it is a slam dunk if there are cognitive (IQ less than 70) or behavioral issues resulting from the CP. However, they also make allowances for people who have severe physical handicaps, like your son. There are various websites and groups that assist people with cerebral palsy to get these benefits. Even if you don't want to enlist outside help, it is as easy as going to your local Social Security office and speaking with someone to begin the application process. This would also qualify him for Medicaid.

Further, I am assuming that you are persuing your ex over back child support. If this is the case, if you are able to make headway there, I would strongly recommend contacting an attorney (you may have a good shot at pro bono representation) to pursue your husband for court mandated child support for your son for life. It is getting more and more common for courts to order life long child support for disabled children regardless of whether or not they are over 18.

There are resources out there, you need to pursue them as you most certainly sound like you need help and going after the ex may be a deadend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting