Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Where in the world do YOU shop that you've seen children's/toddler's t-shirts with sayings like this????? I have never, ever seen anything even close to this in any store, anywhere.
Do you actually think I'd make this crap up!? Really? Just out of the BLUE, I'd come up with this crap? I've been in many stores and do not remember the exact stores that each of these t-shirts were in. What? Do you think I'm some sort of obsessive vigilante for God's sake?....one who pulls out her notepad, in order to report them to the what...MORAL police or something?! What I do remember are the messages and the horror and disgust of seeing such ridiculous garbage on a child's t-shirt. Just because YOU haven't seen them, it doesn't mean that they don't exist. Have you SEEN each and every t-shirt and every single logo on every t-shirt out there?

As another poster said, put a comment out there and you just KNOW someone's going to go ballistic. Meh.... people like that go out and find those shirts just so they can PUT them on their kids and/or grandkids, just to repulse and disgust people who have sense. After all, they have to do SOMETHING to get attention.

Last edited by beachmel; 04-21-2011 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,821 times
Quote:
I'm "defending" some "phenomenon" because I question a post where the person is obviously exaggerating beyond the extreme to make a point?? A toddler shirt that says "mommys stud muffin" --- a girls' toddler shirt that says "I'm too sexy for my shirt" or "you know you want me" ??? I would love to know where this person claims to have seen these items because I think it's BS.
I was at an upscale touristy shop in Taos, NM and saw onesies that said things along the lines of "one day I will get drunk and throw up at a prom party" and "one day I will get drunk and pass out on the beach during spring break."

At the time I wondered who on earth would actually buy something like that (and still wonder the same thing). I don't think beachmel was exaggerating, much less "obviously exaggerating beyond the extreme."

Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 PM

Thanks for that Kobber! Clearly I wasn't just imagining things! Not unless I've magically fabricated places to PURCHASE them as well. LOL (((HUGS)))

The shirts I saw though were in actual "real life" stores, while shopping for suitable apparel for my grandson...yuck.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
There are also onesies for girls that read "B*..ch in Training" and other un-kid-ish things. Things that, if these parents actually heard their kids SAYING these things..would get them a slap in the face, or a time out, or a "now now Junior, we don't talk like that here's mummy's precious angel nomnomnom smushy-face let's distract you with your pacie so you don't talk about being sexually interested in your mother anymore hmmm?" and yet there's Mommy's little stud muffin, displaying his status as sexual toy to his mother on his chest for the world to see.

Blech. And yes, I've seen them too.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There are also onesies for girls that read "B*..ch in Training" and other un-kid-ish things. Things that, if these parents actually heard their kids SAYING these things..would get them a slap in the face, or a time out, or a "now now Junior, we don't talk like that here's mummy's precious angel nomnomnom smushy-face let's distract you with your pacie so you don't talk about being sexually interested in your mother anymore hmmm?" and yet there's Mommy's little stud muffin, displaying his status as sexual toy to his mother on his chest for the world to see.

Blech. And yes, I've seen them too.
YES!! I've seen awful ones like you're describing too! The rest of your message.....yep!...but you know someone is buying them, because you're seeing more and more of them. Apparently SOMEone thinks they're funny. Ugh

Old 04-21-2011, 11:05 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
I'm "defending" some "phenomenon" because I question a post where the person is obviously exaggerating beyond the extreme to make a point?? A toddler shirt that says "mommys stud muffin" --- a girls' toddler shirt that says "I'm too sexy for my shirt" or "you know you want me" ??? I would love to know where this person claims to have seen these items because I think it's BS.

Anyway, if you know me from my other posts, you know I would never "defend" something like child pageants or the sexualization of children. I've been called a "helicopter parent" on these forums on many, many occassions simply because I'm a strict parent.
OK. So you're not the one.
That's all I said...

But no worries; sooner or later, THE ONE will appear!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:23 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
I did seriously consider getting a onsie when dd was a newborn that was white and looked like an ipod that said "ipoo".

Old 04-22-2011, 07:24 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Incredible post and so true. What to say? I mean, look at the little girl's close sections. What is more disgusting NOT CUTE than someone dressing their toddler in a t-shirt that says "I'm too sexy for my shirt"...or "You know you want me"...or a little boy's shirt that says, "Mommies little stud muffin"? Do NOT get me started on the ridiculous, horrid get ups they put the little girls in for pageants....full makeup, cans of hairspray to hold up their "adult" hairstyles and destroy their lungs. Sickening..truly sickening.

GBH....I love the logical way you think. Now YOU are a sensible person and boy am I ever grateful for your posts!
I hate those shirts. I've seen baby onesies that say "Hung like a 5 year old". Absolutely DISGUSTING.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:

Anyway, if you know me from my other posts, you know I would never "defend" something like child pageants or the sexualization of children. I've been called a "helicopter parent" on these forums on many, many occassions simply because I'm a strict parent.
Mommy's Little Stud Muffin Shirt from Zazzle.com (Love how they co-opted the Disney font, adds an extra level of perviness)

HUNG LIKE A FIVE YEAR OLD SHIRT from Zazzle.com

Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,669 times
The shirts on zazzle or cafepress don't exemplify widely available clothing; those sites' purpose is that anyone can go in and design a shirt there, saying nearly anything. Often, someone designs a shirt there and just clicks the button that makes it available in all sizes. That doesn't mean anyone is buying those, or that the designers intended to cause apocalyptic annihilation.

I honestly don't think it's the existence of the shirts or pageants that are at fault; I believe it's the repressive, odd sexual culture we have in the US, where everything sexual or having to do with the human body is taboo. When you bind things up tight like that, they're bound to escape in inappropriate places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting