Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:15 AM

13 posts, read 19,483 times

Advertisements

The most important part of the day in a child’s life is play time. The game is a natural, instinctive activity which combines learning and satisfaction.
As a way of life has changed, games have changed, as well.
In the past, children would play together in the street or in the yard. An important feature of these games was to outwit a participant in the game and win thanks to a quick intellectual and physical reactions, skill, dexterity and wit.
Computer technology has entered the world of children’s games and computer games have become the most important children’s games. In these games, a child just sit in front of the computer for several hours, play by himself/herself. Thus, the social, i.e. collective role of children's games has disappeared. The child is referred for antisocial way of life with all that it implies and causes.
Parents have a major role in the selection of children’s games. They need to tackle the challenges of passive modes of playing and encourage children to be more reflective and play social games.
How do your kids play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 01:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by znljubica View Post
The most important part of the day in a child’s life is play time. The game is a natural, instinctive activity which combines learning and satisfaction.
As a way of life has changed, games have changed, as well.
In the past, children would play together in the street or in the yard. An important feature of these games was to outwit a participant in the game and win thanks to a quick intellectual and physical reactions, skill, dexterity and wit. Computer technology has entered the world of children’s games and computer games have become the most important children’s games. In these games, a child just sit in front of the computer for several hours, play by himself/herself. Thus, the social, i.e. collective role of children's games has disappeared. The child is referred for antisocial way of life with all that it implies and causes.
Parents have a major role in the selection of children’s games. They need to tackle the challenges of passive modes of playing and encourage children to be more reflective and play social games.
How do your kids play?
Computer games oftan involve multi-player games and an important feature can be to outwit a participant in the game.

Computer games have replaced board games and card games but they cant replace physical games.

When you listen to kids and watch what they play, it's obvious their games aren't just passive but very interactive and also social.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:17 AM

157 posts, read 140,768 times
We have always had a cupboard full of board games and bikes in the yard.

IMO, it's important for kids to have plenty of time to play without adults around. They do amazingly well on their own without anyone telling them everything.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
It depends on the hour to be honest. They do different things through out the day. They read books, chase each other around, play on the computer, watch TV, do crafts, make forts, etc.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:12 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
I have teens/preteens so their play is different from younger kids.

My preteen (12) likes to do things where there is a group of kids doing an unstructured activity. He likes physical games. When he has friends over they like to play pool basketball, have golf "contests" (we have a little chip/putt in the backyard) or play roller hockey in the street. He is going ice skating with friends later today. In the summer it is to hot to do anything that isn't in the pool so the kids play video games indoors. I find that video games with multiple players are different from solitary video games. They frequently find other friends online and play each other online. My son favors the sports type games. His older brother has some more violent games (Halo, Call of Duty) but those are not his favorites.

My older sons (17/14) like to play games in the pool with their friends. They also like to set up video game tournaments. They also like going to the beach with their friends. At the beach they play football, frisbee, etc...It really depends on the mix of boys and girls. When there are mixed groups the kids tend to hang out more in the water (poor or beach). When its all boys I see more physical games in the water or video game tournaments. The teens also like the little golf setup we have the back. The girls will play that with the boys. My oldest son has 2 female friends that are not girlfriends. I am friendly with them and they like to hang out in the kitchen and talk with me when the boys play video games. The boys socialize quite a bit when they play video games. If they have enough people they set up tournaments.

My middle son is 14 and he likes music. When his friends are here sometimes they jam. We have a drumset, piano, electronic keyboard, guitar and bass.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:06 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
When his friends are here sometimes they jam.
They...jam?..

Old 04-22-2011, 11:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
They...jam?..
Do you really not know what that means?

Old 04-22-2011, 12:14 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,479 times
We have a trampoline and swing set in our backyard that gets used A LOT. My kids also like riding their bikes and swimming. My daughter is more of the "outside" kind of kid. She likes running around, going to parks, playing tag, etc. My son is more of an "indoor" type kids. Right now he is playing on his x-box (wrestling). My daughter is at a friend's house.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
They...jam?..
Yes. They have an informal gathering of musicians and they play together.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Do you really not know what that means?
I don't think English is her first language so she might not be familiar with all of the idiomatic expressions we use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting