Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 12:52 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I will just chime in and say you can teach your daughter alot of the things you wanted to teach your son. I have heard it said the most important man in a girls life is her Dad, so just decide you are going to be the best Dad your daughter could have. And remember everything in life happens for a reason. I have a feeling you are going to be a great Dad and your daughter is a lucky girl.
Another spin on this was something my father-in-law (a man's man who had 2 daughters) said to me when I had my first daughter.

A father teaches his son how to be a man, but his mother teaches him what are the most important qualities to look for in a woman.

A mother teaches her daughter how to be a woman, but her father teaches her what are the most important qualities to look for in a man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 02:37 PM

834 posts, read 2,684,413 times
Perhaps look into foster parenting, Big Brother program, or becoming coach for kid sports. You may be able to channel that wish with someone elses boy in a constructive way. At home,...I would agree you will most likely be wrapped around your wife and your girl's finger. Good luck!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:20 PM

14 posts, read 55,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think this will be the first and last time when parenting does not turn out how you hoped and dreamed it would be. I think all of us have visions of what kind of parent we will be and how our kids will turn out. Then suddenly one day your child is throwing a tantrum and won't listen to you, or you say something you thought you would never say, or you find your kid is not good at something you assumed they would be good at and the list goes on. I think part of the joy and challenge of parenting is rolling with the punches and getting to know your child, who will be unique in ways you never would have expected. Parenting won't be like you imagined whether your child is a boy or a girl, but if you can be flexible, it can be a fun adventure! Enjoy your beautiful daughter!
Well said.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:44 AM

613 posts, read 991,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think this will be the first and last time when parenting does not turn out how you hoped and dreamed it would be. I think all of us have visions of what kind of parent we will be and how our kids will turn out. Then suddenly one day your child is throwing a tantrum and won't listen to you, or you say something you thought you would never say, or you find your kid is not good at something you assumed they would be good at and the list goes on. I think part of the joy and challenge of parenting is rolling with the punches and getting to know your child, who will be unique in ways you never would have expected. Parenting won't be like you imagined whether your child is a boy or a girl, but if you can be flexible, it can be a fun adventure! Enjoy your beautiful daughter!
+1

Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,157 times
Adopt!!!! I have 2 adopted brothers, and numerous adopted cousins, nephews, and nieces - There are plenty of kids looking for a loving family to provide for them. I really wish more people would seriously consider this.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
I think what you realize most when your child is born is that they are a person, an amazing individual, a being in their own right - and that while you have a pretty serious job as a caregiver for a few years, what you have made is as unique a new person as you could imagine.

You kinda wonder how you even worried about what gender the child was going to be - it's of so little consequence when they're actually born.

And growing up surrounded by females will be of no comparison to having your own daughter, the relationship is so completely different to any other relationship you have had up to this point, that those experiences are not really relevant to the one you're about to have.

In other words, don't stress, you'll wonder how you ever did without her once she's here.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
As a mother, I've experienced this. It wasn't disappointment but fear. I came from a family of all girls. My first child was a girl. I knew nothing about boys. When I found out my second was going to be a boy, I thought I wouldn't have a clue how to raise a boy. I was afraid. Guess what? That all went away when I met him. In the end, gender doesn't really matter.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:25 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile When your baby arrives....

Please update us on this thread. I am willing to bet that once you lay eyes on her, you will be a changed man forever.

(My husband still melts thinking about our daughter and she is 26).

Old 05-06-2011, 04:14 AM

144 posts, read 307,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Please update us on this thread. I am willing to bet that once you lay eyes on her, you will be a changed man forever.

(My husband still melts thinking about our daughter and she is 26).
I will do that. I am honestly much better about the whole thing now. I just needed a day to chill out, because I had my mindset on a boy, for the reasons listed in my OP.

I realize a girl needs a Dad as much as a boy and I plan to be there for her and teach her things and bond with her all her life, Even in those crazy teenage years .

Old 05-06-2011, 05:04 AM

158 posts, read 382,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
I will do that. I am honestly much better about the whole thing now. I just needed a day to chill out, because I had my mindset on a boy, for the reasons listed in my OP.

I realize a girl needs a Dad as much as a boy and I plan to be there for her and teach her things and bond with her all her life, Even in those crazy teenage years .
From my experience and from what I saw around me, girls are more attached to their dads and boys to their moms. When I was little I used to watch my dad as a God (still do, sometimes) and my brother couldn't stay away from my mom for more than 10 seconds. It's a natural thing, I guess. Enjoy your baby girl and let us know if you will care about her gender when she squeezes your finger for the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting