Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 07:31 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That won't be an issue, it can just be like it's older brother wearing braids and a pink frilly dress and go into the girls room .

These kids ARE going to be messed up--just the fact that they are required to keep the gender of their sibling from the outside world is just wrong--and how do they keep a 2 year old from blurting out that it's a boy/girl is beyond me .
Exactly...all the 2 year olds I know...they talk too much and I am sure they will blurt it out...then again, I have to think these are the type of parents that probably shield their children from the real world i.e. other people, influences, etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 07:43 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,284 times
Gene pool. Chlorinate. Etc.....

Old 05-26-2011, 09:13 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Two more parents saying, "Look at me! Look at me!"

Who else wants to bet they already have an agent shopping for a book and/or reality show? They'll start charging for interviews. Bidding war for the exclusive photos of the "unveiling".

Disgusting.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:54 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,615 times
These parents should be stopped. They are already messing up their first two kids... why they are subjecting their children to their own social experiment is beyond comprehension. And the kids are the ones who will suffer with this. The fact that they also "unschool" is very telling too.... Honestly, these parents need to look beyond their self-serving political beliefs and test they're forcing on their kids. Maybe some education on how what they're doing in the realities of today's society would be good for them... these parents are unfit.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:09 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,284 times
Now I know 2 things about "unschooling" Wooden spoons and no gender identity, you pick your own, penis or bagina be damned!

I am now compiling a list.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Ok I didn't read the article. Honestly my tooth hurts and I'm now in a bad mood.

But if "it" has brothers won't it naturally gravitate toward being a boy? I mean, having only had a sister I really have no clue how little boys act and interact. All I know is how little girls interact with little girls on a co habitation level.

Except that his brothers like to dress in pink and wear dresses..

Old 05-26-2011, 10:52 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,816 times
The baby IS male or female - why are these parents trying to hide that? This is just...wierd. If they don't want to dress their daughter in pink frills or their son in blue trucks, fine. But to keep it a secret? Again, wierd. And the fact is, most (of course there are exceptions) kids take on gender roles on their own, without provoking from their parents. My son is into pirates and superheros. Did I teach him to be into that stuff, or force it on him? Of course not. Its just what he is attracted too. A few weeks ago we were at a little girl's birthday party and her Mom had pink fairy wands she was handing out to all the kids as favors. What did my son do with his pink wand? He pretended it was a sword and had a sword fight with it with another little boy. It sounds like these parents have issues, and I feel sorry for the children.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:15 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Ask Me No Secrets, I’ll Tell You No Lies: How Privacy Protects; How Secrecy Harms

Keeping secrets puts such pressure on these children. It means that the secrets control their lives.

Quote:
At first glance, we might think that keeping secrets, about adoption or any other issue, would give us control over our lives. As the title says, “Ask me no secrets, I’ll tell you no lies.” That implies that secrets involve lies! In reality, trying to keep even the truth a secret means we have to continue to protect, lie, cover up, be hyper-vigilant—the secret has control over us. Secrets are based on fear of detection, and usually are based on shame—the fear that if someone learns the secret, we will be shamed. The difference between guilt and shame is that guilt is about something we knowingly did wrong, and for which it is possible to make amends, while shame is about being essentially flawed and for which there is no remedy. It is about who we are, not what we did. Secrets are more about shame than about guilt. When we let go of secrets, we actually regain control of our destiny.
Keeping a secret about gender certainly falls into this kind of category. Do they want him or her to be ashamed of this? I think this is a form of child abuse. I also think that her older children are already being messed with given the *I want to wear pink and frills, but I don't want to be mistaken for a girl* quotes. I see nothing wrong with a child wanting to wear girl's clothing, but then he will have to understand that others will mistake him for a female since he chooses that kind of thing.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
They need to choose something. Because at age 3, in school my students had to tell the class their name, their age, and if they were a boy or a girl.

The other kids will pick this kid's gender if the parents don't. Kids are very interesting in terms of defining social groups, and gender stereotypes. Watch 2 and 3 year olds play. They tell everyone who they are, the role they play, and what to do in the role...

Old 05-26-2011, 02:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
These parents should be stopped. They are already messing up their first two kids... why they are subjecting their children to their own social experiment is beyond comprehension. And the kids are the ones who will suffer with this. The fact that they also "unschool" is very telling too.... Honestly, these parents need to look beyond their self-serving political beliefs and test they're forcing on their kids. Maybe some education on how what they're doing in the realities of today's society would be good for them... these parents are unfit.
really? you don't think it is their right to parent as they please?

I'm not saying I agree with their choices, but I certainly agree with their right to make them. you probably claim we need "smaller government" too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting