Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:14 PM

149 posts, read 326,312 times

Advertisements

lol (I shouldn't say that it's actually not funny) I have also seen parents pouring soda into sippy cups and baby bottles.
Maybe this is news that some people need to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 04:14 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Ok. After reading this thread, I can't get the movie Idiocracy out of my head.
It's on my Netflix queue... maybe I need to bump it up!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:48 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I'd hope the energy drink thing is a "duh".....I know better than to think the sports drink is also. Gatorade, Powerade etc is all pretty much the same as an uncarbonated soft drink. You'd be amazed at how many folks put these in their kids lunches (or Capri Sun or Sunny D or whatever).....and provide them on a pretty much unlimited basis for their kids to drink. Full of sugar and/or HFCS and who knows what else.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:42 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
I'm kind of surprised that people are regarding the sports drink news as being obvious. I'd never give an energy drink (like Red Bull) to a child, but I grew up drinking Gatorade. In elementary school everyone got a Gatorade with lunch on Fridays (kind of a treat).. and Gatorade was always available to middle and high schoolers, either at vending machines or at the cafeteria. Is it different in other places?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:34 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrehm View Post
Milk > Gatorade
When it's 95 degrees outside and your child is playing in a football game you do NOT want to give them milk unless you really really enjoy seeing your child vomit.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:20 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
When it's 95 degrees outside and your child is playing in a football game you do NOT want to give them milk unless you really really enjoy seeing your child vomit.
Agreed, sport drinks are for specific use.

I do know of people who give their kids Jolt, etc. A real big duh!

Mind you this all is just as silly as the people who give their kids sugar soda because they believe the hogwash about Aspartame.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:43 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Agreed, sport drinks are for specific use.

I do know of people who give their kids Jolt, etc. A real big duh!

Mind you this all is just as silly as the people who give their kids sugar soda because they believe the hogwash about Aspartame.
Well I believe the "hogwash" about Aspartame and about most artificial ingredients. I would rather my child have sugar than chemicals. Not unlimited quantities of sugar but real sugar.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well I believe the "hogwash" about Aspartame and about most artificial ingredients. I would rather my child have sugar than chemicals. Not unlimited quantities of sugar but real sugar.
Well the first thing to know about Aspartame is that it's non-nutritive, ie. the body does not absorb it. That is what the fear-mongers fail to mention. If it was absorbed it would be different. Same with Splenda, non-nutritive. There is a lot of legit information out there about it, but the misinformation overshadows it sadly.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:59 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
i dont know about other peoples kids... but i have never ONCE thought that my kids needed MORE energy! LOL

my kids get soda, but not often. they can have one on the weekends, and then on their birthday they can have some. when we eat out they can have a small soda, then water after that.

i think its all about moderation and teaching the difference between a 'treat' and 'something we drink all the time all day long'.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
My in-laws love to give my kids "blue juice" aka Gatorade. It is a grandma's-house-only treat. I don't really know why they want to give that to toddlers, but they do. Maybe it's like how my grandma used to give me ice cream for breakfast when I visited her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting