Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:32 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times

Advertisements

I just got the yearbook for my kids, they messed up, and did not put 1 photo of my son in it.

They had photos, "I" had photos, nobody said a word to me about sending any photos, and now nobody is taking responsibility for this mistake. They gave me the SOL treatment.

Is this common practice? Because I wanted to have an option, I have tons of photos, and I work in this field and know that someone has the catalog file somewhere, which can be edited a million times over, unless it was completely deleted, yet, nobody seems to even care about the mistake they made. They put a photo of his new teacher, that just started in April, and my son doesn't have 1 photo in that entire book.

I find this unacceptable. Did this happen to anyone of you? what have you done? were you given ANY options at all?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I just got the yearbook for my kids, they messed up, and did not put 1 photo of my son in it.

They had photos, "I" had photos, nobody said a word to me about sending any photos, and now nobody is taking responsibility for this mistake. They gave me the SOL treatment.

Is this common practice? Because I wanted to have an option, I have tons of photos, and I work in this field and know that someone has the catalog file somewhere, which can be edited a million times over, unless it was completely deleted, yet, nobody seems to even care about the mistake they made. They put a photo of his new teacher, that just started in April, and my son doesn't have 1 photo in that entire book.

I find this unacceptable. Did this happen to anyone of you? what have you done? were you given ANY options at all?

Thank you,

Was every other kid in the school in the book except your kid?

What mistake?

What would I do? Nothing. There's nothing you can do except become more familiar with their process for producing year books for next year.

What does "unacceptable" mean?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:39 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Charles, I'm assuming they left out even the posed portrait shot - and they do usually try to include every single kid in that section.

algia, it's a horrible mistake, but what do your realistically expect them to do? Once the yearbooks are printed?

If I were you I would try to make it right with your son in a different way - take him to a really great photographer and do a session at a couple different locations, and then get a printed magazine-style album. Or get a huge canvas of him for your home. You can't reprint the yearbook, but you can do something else that will mark this year of his life in a different way - and that can be fun in a new way. His friends might even end up jealous of him!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:40 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
If my kid was the ONLY kid to not be inlcuded than I would probably make a stink out of it. However, beyond demanding a refund (assuming it was their mistake), there isn't much you can do.

Since chances are you're going to be running up against a brickwall, you can always spin it to your son that while his picture isn't in there, he already knows what he looks like, so this will just help him to remember everyone else.

How old is your son?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:40 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,865 times
Get your money back and suck it up. **It happens.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
YES!

When you get to the page for his class, ALL his classmates are there except him. His new teacher and OLD teacher are on that page as well, and he is not.

"Unacceptable" means that I find it offensive to say the least, that a teacher that just joined the school is pictured and my son, who is going there for the last 2 years has no photo what so ever, as if he never attended.

They said they sent "memos" telling parents to send photos, well, I keep everything they send minus the Pizza invitations, and I haven't found one that specified sending photos to them for the yearbook.

Not to mention, that both my kids were "Citizens of the Month", and they were NOT on that page either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Was every other kid in the school in the book except your kid?

What mistake?

What would I do? Nothing. There's nothing you can do except become more familiar with their process for producing year books for next year.

What does "unacceptable" mean?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
It is actually quite common. I remember in school, there were always kids that were somehow missed. It happens. There is nothing they can do. The yearbooks have been distributed. I don't know what you expect from them. Do you want them to get the yearbooks back from everyone, edit the yearbook to include your son, re-print them all and redistribute them all?

It happens. Move on. In the grand scheme of life, this is a very small problem. I don't think I have opened my yearbooks at all since I graduated high school. With Facebook and Classmates.com, this isn't nearly the issue it used to be.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times
It's unfortunate, but what do you expect them to do, make brand new yearbooks with your child in it? Not going to happen.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
The yearbook is most likely put together by volunteers. Next year make sure you're on the committee. For this year you might put together some photo pages of him doing school activities and put it in the back just so you'll have pictures of him at this age along with those of his peers.

You can also use this as an opportunity to teach your son that sometimes you just have to roll with the punches.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I'm confused.

Are you saying there is no professional photo, such as the photos taken by the school photographer?

Did your son miss Picture Day and Picture Makeup Day? If that's the case, you're at fault and you are SOL. That's why they have Picture Makeup Day.

Or are you saying there are no casual photos of your son? There usually isn't a photo like that of every student.

They have many students. As a result, there are procedures. Kids get their pictures taken on picture day. There's picture makeup day for those who were absent.

They don't track down pictures for students who missed all picture days. It's your responsibility, not theirs.

What do you mean, you wanted to have an option? Did you purposely not do picture day because you wanted to have the option to use a different photo? You don't get that option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting