Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 02:25 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I see no original research here.

I guess we should not be using this link to support our points, huh?
There are references supporting the points at the end of the article. I never said that this was original research. The article was from a respected MD, not a random blogger. Not sure what you are talking about.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:38 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Rotavirus is transmitted through the fecal oral route which means that vaccinated children are just as likely and able to spread rotavirus as unvaccinated children since the virus sheds in their feces in the days following vaccination.
Again, the attenuated virus in the vaccine does not cause illness! The vaccine virus does not make contacts sick!

Quote:
Would you dare call the parents who do vaccinate for rotavirus irresponsible? Their child is just as able as an unvaccinated child to spread the virus to someone who might not fare so well. They are also more likely to be out in public while contagious since they won't actually show signs of illness.
No, the rotavirus vaccine can be given to infants who will be in contact with others who are immunocompromised. They do not spread a virus which is capable of causing disease.

Quote:
We know that breastfeeding is a protective factor. Would you dare call a mother who was unwilling to breastfeed irresponsible for not doing everything in her power to protect her child from rotavirus? (Please note that I said unwilling, not unable).
See the article in my post above. Breastfeeding does not prevent infection, though it may delay the age at which the child gets the virus.

Quote:
There are 20 deaths per year in the US from rotavirus. That is less then one third the amount of people who die each year in the US from being struck by lightening. We live in a country where we have access to IV's if our children (or our grandparents or our immunocompromised uncle) need to be hydrated due to dehydration caused by diarrhea caused by rotavirus. So you can save the drama.
You just ignore the 200,000 ER visits and 55,000 to 70,000 hospitalizations?

Old 09-05-2011, 02:47 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Rotavirus is transmitted through the fecal oral route which means that vaccinated children are just as likely and able to spread rotavirus as unvaccinated children since the virus sheds in their feces in the days following vaccination. Would you dare call the parents who do vaccinate for rotavirus irresponsible? Their child is just as able as an unvaccinated child to spread the virus to someone who might not fare so well. They are also more likely to be out in public while contagious since they won't actually show signs of illness.

I referenced daycare because children in daycare are more at risk for the reasons mentioned above.

We know that breastfeeding is a protective factor. Would you dare call a mother who was unwilling to breastfeed irresponsible for not doing everything in her power to protect her child from rotavirus? (Please note that I said unwilling, not unable).

There are 20 deaths per year in the US from rotavirus. That is less then one third the amount of people who die each year in the US from being struck by lightening. We live in a country where we have access to IV's if our children (or our grandparents or our immunocompromised uncle) need to be hydrated due to dehydration caused by diarrhea caused by rotavirus.
Vaccinated children cannot spread the disease.

Breastfeeding does not confer immunity to Rotavirus.

Glad that you think it's okay to minimize the illness of others. This is not a mild illness.

Just as well you edited out the drama comment. I have seen many children die from Rotavirus. Have you even seen one child ill with it? Have you seen a child ill with a VPD? Do not ever accuse me of drama with regard to VPD's, I have seen the worst of infectious childhood illness, and I get so very tired of reading all the drivel here about how inconsequential they are.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 09-05-2011 at 02:56 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 02:49 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
There are references supporting the points at the end of the article. I never said that this was original research. The article was from a respected MD, not a random blogger. Not sure what you are talking about.

So your link to a blog with references at the bottom of the page is OK, but my link to a blog in which you have to click on a link to the references is not? (Thanks, Zimbo!)

Old 09-05-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Vaccinated children cannot spread the disease.

Breastfeeding does not confer immunity to Rotavirus.

Glad that you think it's okay to minimize the illness of others. This is not a mild illness.

Just as well you edited out the drama comment. I have seen many children die from Rotavirus. Have you even seen one child ill with it? Have you seen a child ill with a VPD? Do not ever accuse me of drama with regard to VPD's, I have seen the worst of infectious childhood illness, and I get so very tired or reading all the drivel here about how inconsequential they are.
I posted a link to a study that shows that the virus sheds in vaccinated children's fecal matter post vaccination. If you don't want to believe it that's your choice.

I never said that breastfeeding confers immunity. Please re-read my post.

Rotavirus is common, of course I've seen children with it, including my own. I'm assuming that since you have seen so many children die from rotavirus it was outside of the the US.

I am talking about rotavirus in the US, not all VPD's in the world.

You don't like being accused of being dramatic. I don't like being accused of being irresponsible or heartless for not vaccinating against something that kills 20 people per year in the entire US. Go figure.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
So your link to a blog with references at the bottom of the page is OK, but my link to a blog in which you have to click on a link to the references is not? (Thanks, Zimbo!)
If you can't differentiate between a link to an article written by a well respected MD and author regarding toxins in vaccines with references directly related to said article vs a link to an article by a random blogger giving her opinion on why people don't vaccinate who happens to link studies unrelated to the actual article on her blog then I don't know what to tell ya, Suzy. (Thanks anonymous!)

Old 09-05-2011, 03:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Well that's all nice in theory, but rotavirus can be spread by hands, objects such as toys and surfaces, food, and water, so unless you live in a cave, merely keeping your child out of daycare will do nothing. If you go, well pretty much anywhere, rotavirus is present, think MacDonalds, grocery carts, restaurants, etc. That in of itself is not the issue. If your child is healthy they will pull through just fine, newborns, the elderly, and those who are immunocompromised are very vulnerable.

The irresponsible aspect is having no qualms about your healthy child recovering easily from VPD, but infecting someone who doesn't fare as well. Why is that so hard to understand?
"Living in a cave" made me LOL!

Actually, a cave may be full of RV! You'd have to be living in a bubble not to get exposed to RV. BTW, I am agreeing with you.

Quote:
Rotavirus is transmitted through the fecal oral route which means that vaccinated children are just as likely and able to spread rotavirus as unvaccinated children since the virus sheds in their feces in the days following vaccination. Would you dare call the parents who do vaccinate for rotavirus irresponsible? Their child is just as able as an unvaccinated child to spread the virus to someone who might not fare so well. They are also more likely to be out in public while contagious since they won't actually show signs of illness.

I referenced daycare because children in daycare are more at risk for the reasons mentioned above.

There are 20 deaths per year in the US from rotavirus. That is less then one third the amount of people who die each year in the US from being struck by lightening. We live in a country where we have access to IV's if our children (or our grandparents or our immunocompromised uncle) need to be hydrated due to dehydration caused by diarrhea caused by rotavirus. So you can save the drama.
Daycare kids are more at risk for some diseases; I don't know if RV is one of them.

Breastfeeding, as has been shown above (after your post), is not protective against RV. The highest death rates from RV are in third world countries, which also have high breastfeeding rates.

So you think it's preferable to get rotovirus and have to be admitted to the hospital and get IVs, or have some older person have to go to the hospital b/c your kid made them sick than get the RV vaccine? You want to be responsible for that?

Quote:
What are this respected doctor's credentials?

Old 09-05-2011, 03:20 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
I posted a link to a study that shows that the virus sheds in vaccinated children's fecal matter post vaccination. If you don't want to believe it that's your choice.
Go back and read your link, you posted the summary, not the conclusion of the study. They do not state whether or not the disease can be transmitted post vaccination. It is already widely known that there is shedding. Can the disease be transmitted? I have only read about one case.

Quote:
You don't like being accused of being dramatic. I don't like being accused of being irresponsible or heartless for not vaccinating against something that kills 20 people per year in the entire US. Go figure.
So you do vaccinate for measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, pertussis?

Old 09-05-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Again, the attenuated virus in the vaccine does not cause illness! The vaccine virus does not make contacts sick!

No, the rotavirus vaccine can be given to infants who will be in contact with others who are immunocompromised. They do not spread a virus which is capable of causing disease.
In addition to the link that I already posted to the study which shows otherwise here is info from Merck, the makers of rotateq

https://www.merckvaccines.com/Produc...ndication.aspx

Quote:
Vaccine virus transmission from vaccine recipient to non-vaccinated contacts has been reported. Caution is advised when considering whether to administer RotaTeq to individuals with immunodeficient contacts

Old 09-05-2011, 03:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
So you think that as soon as 20 kids die in a given year, deaths from rotovirus stop? That's not how it works. The literature says, I believe, 20-60 deaths yearly. Those numbers are compiled on the basis of years of surveillance. Some years there are more. Epidemics happen. And if one of those kids is your kid, they are 100% dead. Sorry to sound so harsh, but sometimes it's necessary to call a spade a spade.

Quote:
Vaccine virus transmission from vaccine recipient to non-vaccinated contacts has been reported. Caution is advised when considering whether to administer RotaTeq to individuals with immunodeficient contacts
(Emphasis mine)

Do you know what "caution" means in this case? You do note it does not say "do not administer".

Last edited by JustJulia; 09-05-2011 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting