Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 10:11 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

High school ring? Has anyone ever worn theirs after they got out of high school?

I don't remember ever wearing mine in high school, although I did wear my boyfriend's class ring on a chain around my neck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 03:16 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,931 times
I wanted one for high school and for finishing college. Sadly too expensive. I wish I could have afford 2 rings.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:12 AM

193 posts, read 183,374 times
I got a nice one back in the mid 90s. Believe my mom bought it. No idea why I did because I only wore it a couple times. Total waste of money.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:22 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
my mother made me get the class ring.
i never wore it, and adventually threw it out.
I did not make my sons get thiers either,
and they didnt.

complete waste of money.
its junk
I hope you meant "accidentally".

Old 03-27-2017, 03:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
My son brought home the catalog and order form for class rings. I was pretty surprised because I didn't expect it this year. He is in 9th grade. I think I got mine in 10th or 11th...so anyway, I am just amazed at the prices. I guess I'm old because my ring cost 100.00 dollars and it was 10kt. The average ring now is 300 and its not even real. To get into the 10kt or 14kt, we are looking at 600+. They even offer platinum rings for a 1,000 dollars. The kids can design the ring online and after my son designed his it came up with some ridiculous price of 635. Nada. They do have a budget ring for 79 but you can not add anything personal to it. I don't know about anyone else but I wore mine for a little while and it ended up in a drawer and I certainly didn't wear it after high school. I don't want to be a buzz kill but I think its pretty silly to spend that kind of money. So I called up my friend because her son just made it through high school last year. She told me she paid 450 for her son's ring. She seemed surprised I was not wanting to spend the money. Wow, I guess I'm a cheap skate.
At least the kid will wear the thing for a few years if he buys it as a sophomore. I'd tell him how much you are willing to pay, and let him earn the rest if he wants a certain ring so badly. He'll stop wearing it within a year after graduation anyway.

We bought our rings as seniors. I don't think I wore mine more than a few months. Total waste of money.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:06 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
When I bought mine, it was 14K gold and I think gold was $32 a ounce. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but it is very most likely worth more now than it was when I bought it, just for the gold content. That still doesn't make it a good purchase.

I've got gold jewelry that I bought long ago that I like and wear, and that stuff is worth a lot more than I paid for it because of rising gold prices. Because I wear it, that was a much better investment.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:57 PM

17,588 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
When I bought mine, it was 14K gold and I think gold was $32 a ounce. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but it is very most likely worth more now than it was when I bought it, just for the gold content. That still doesn't make it a good purchase.

I've got gold jewelry that I bought long ago that I like and wear, and that stuff is worth a lot more than I paid for it because of rising gold prices. Because I wear it, that was a much better investment.
Mine sits on my 'shelf of life' in a nice case. hasn't been on my finger since high school, some 26 years ago, and actually if it goes on my finger now, it isn't coming off.

As I recall.. It was in the mid-to-high $300 range. This ring is a chunk of ring and I got the 10k one.

My sister graduated high school about 6 years ago (Yes, do the math there) and she paid something over $400 for something about the width of a keyring.

I'm dreading a few years from now.. I promised both my nephews when they started school that I'd buy their class rings if they made it all the way through and didn't fail a grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting