Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 07:08 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
The trip wasn't very poor planned. The teacher said they were trying a new place, maybe the closer places had problems or were all booked.
The mother in question is overprotective. There's always one parent like that in every class. Ya know the type of parent who claims their kid is allergic to peanut butter so no kid in the class can eat PBJ sandwiches at all because of that one special child.
Wow. Wow. Wow. "Claiming a pb allergy" Hmm? Tell me sas, why would a parent do that?

IMO, the trip was poorly planned. An hour each way to spend 1 hour and 45 minutes somewhere is **** poor planning in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Minor? The OP sure doesn't think it's minor. She was very upset. She even emailed the teacher and talked to other parents.
Yes, one minor decision. Parents talk to each other about all sorts of things. Doesn't make each topic of conversation a Major Issue. I email the teacher a few times per week. Again, doesn't mean each topic is a Major Issue.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I am all for being non conformist, and I think this attitude would have some merit - if we were talking about a bunch of rowdy seven year olds pounding brewskis under the bleachers or egging someone's car.

But we're talking about a kindergarten class doing an activity planned by teachers. Does it perhaps also send the message that if you think his homework is ill planned and idiotic that he shouldn't do it? That if he disagrees with his teachers that he is just able to opt out?

You're not going to like the way the school does everything. Doesn't mean the child has to miss out, just because his teachers planned it in a way that you disapprove of. If left entirely to his own devices, would your child care that it's a 52 mile bus ride?
Why must we project each issue on this board to encompass every parenting decision made by the OP?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 PM

13,417 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why must we project each issue on this board to encompass every parenting decision made by the OP?
Where did I do that? I am talking about the ONE issue. It's the OP herself who's passing it off as a lesson on how not to go along with the crowd, which I can only assume she's intending to have long term impact.

If you think this is just one minor decision, then perhaps you should tell it to the OP.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
I am all for being non conformist, and I think this attitude would have some merit - if we were talking about a bunch of rowdy seven year olds pounding brewskis under the bleachers or egging someone's car.

But we're talking about a kindergarten class doing an activity planned by teachers. Does it perhaps also send the message that if you think his homework is ill planned and idiotic that he shouldn't do it? That if he disagrees with his teachers that he is just able to opt out?

You're not going to like the way the school does everything. Doesn't mean the child has to miss out, just because his teachers planned it in a way that you disapprove of. If left entirely to his own devices, would your child care that it's a 52 mile bus ride?

Sorry, when a school or teacher wants to do something with my child that I don't approve of or feel comfortable with it is my job as a parent to stand up and say so.

Those who abdicate all their responsibility and better judgement to a school system or school representative seem lazy to me.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
When my son was in kindergarten he went on a field trip to an apple orchard/pumpkin patch. After they returned each child drew a picture and wrote a few sentences about their favorite part of the trip. The teacher then bound the pages into a "book" and made copies for the entire class. While my son had fun on the trip (and the bus ride) he really loved participating in the book project. If you skip out on your son's field trip you may want to make sure that he isn't missing out on other aspects of the experience as well.
This. It may be much more than "just" a visit to a pumpkin patch your child is missing.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:21 PM

13,417 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Oh, and to the person who left the anonymous rep, no, I don't think a 52 mile ride on a freeway is a big deal for a five year old. I don't think it's a big deal for anybody.

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Quote:
Where did I do that? I am talking about the ONE issue. It's the OP herself who's passing it off as a lesson on how not to go along with the crowd, which I can only assume she's intending to have long term impact.If you think this is just one minor decision, then perhaps you should tell it to the OP.
Well, you shouldn't assume things.

Quote:
Where did I do that? I am talking about the ONE issue. It's the OP herself who's passing it off as a lesson on how not to go along with the crowd, which I can only assume she's intending to have long term impact.

If you think this is just one minor decision, then perhaps you should tell it to the OP.
By saying "You aren't going to like everything the school does." We aren't talking about the rest of this kid's academic career. We are talking about this issue and this issue only.

I'm sure OP feels this is a very, very minor issue. Others are inflating it.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
This. It may be much more than "just" a visit to a pumpkin patch your child is missing.
Oh boy. You know what? My second grade class did a recipe book. The recipes were collected from all the moms and then made into a cute little book. My mom forgot to send hers in and thus, I was the only child without a recipe in the book. Not.a.big.deal. REALLY.

People put way too much stock into individual episodes of childhood, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting