Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 07:31 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,109,146 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread here awhile ago regarding my supposed dislike for children.
I believe it was a little unwarranted and premature.
Over the years, I've noticed that kids under 8 tend to have a weird way with adults.
By this, some kids will be absolutely horrified by a certain person when they look at them in the face.
While other, like myself, they'll actually smile right at me and have this look of comfort on their face.
Also, with the few friends I know that do have young children, they always seem to be excited any time I happen to pop into the picture.

I don't know what it is about me, but I might've actually been denying my true feelings for children by acting macho to everyone else.
Maybe it wasn't the kids I was mad at after all, but the parents themselves and I wasn't wording it properly at the time.

Anywho, if anyone felt alienated by that earlier thread, I just thought I'd share this little personal realization here.

Perhaps I remind them of some big, furry creature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,753,946 times
I am so relieved! I will finally be able to sleep at night.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
I am so relieved! I will finally be able to sleep at night.
Don't know if you're being serious or sarcastic, but I'm just glad someone out there acknowledges.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Don't know if you're being serious or sarcastic, but I'm just glad someone out there acknowledges.
Not all of us were aware of your former attitude. If you were one of the "Dang kids, get off my lawn" types and you're now stocking up on full-size candy bars for Halloween then I'm impressed.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Not all of us were aware of your former attitude. If you were one of the "Dang kids, get off my lawn" types and you're now stocking up on full-size candy bars for Halloween then I'm impressed.
If I were actually home for halloween, then yes.
However, I've done some thinking and thought that raising a child wouldn't seem all that bad either.
Perhaps it's just the whole, girlfriend-marriage-mother thing that I'd like to skip out on and just be a single dad.
That I would be okay with.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:41 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,806,037 times
I can agree with you about parents. I have said from the time I was 16 that I would never have kids. When I started dating my husband, he wanted four. I told him to go find another chick 'cause I wasn't having four. By the time we married, he just wanted one. I told him to think about it 'cause I still didn't want any. (We dated for four years, btw.) By a couple years in, he was adamant about no kids. Now, we're talking about one. Just talking.

My aversion to kids is definitely parents. I hate the way some parents let their kids rule whatever space they occupy. That absolutely drives me nuts. All I can think is my mother/father/grandmother would have beat me to death for acting that way. Over the years, I've concluded that children are ok; it's parents I don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting