Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you cover your kids eyes at the movies?
Yes 6 20.69%
No 23 79.31%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I'm sure most 13 years old are aware that rape happens. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be terrifying to watch a woman scream and struggle to fight off her attacker on the big screen. Knowing something is not at all the same as watching it.

For myself though, I just wouldn't take a child of that age to that movie.

I can remember when I was young and my mom threw a Halloween party. It was hosted up in the attic, and before the main party we watched a horror movie called, well, Attic. It was only chosen because of the name and was rated PG-13. My parents had not watched it themselves.

Midway through the movie there was a sudden very graphic sex scene. An extended very graphic sex scene.

I've never seen my dad scramble for the remote that fast in his life.

You could watch a horror movie where people got diced up, but a sex scene was out of the question ?. And i guess i don't see the point in babying a teenager over things they already know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 08:17 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,853,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
You could watch a horror movie where people got diced up, but a sex scene was out of the question ?. And i guess i don't see the point in babying a teenager over things they already know about.
It was a weird movie- not much gore at all.

But yeah, in general I do find it odd that children and teens are often allowed to watch the most gory scenes imaginable, but a bare breast has parents screaming. People getting chopped up often rates a PG-13, but sex gets a hard R. It seems backward to me and a weird indication of our values as a society.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:24 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,456 times
Even as a grown woman, it would be disturbing to me to see a violent rape played out before my eyes, and I am fully aware of rape. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it, or knowingly take my teenager to a movie with a scene like that.

However, if we are watching a movie together and a scene like that came up, we would watch it. By 17, she is almost an adult, about to be a part of the real, adult world. Sex and rape is a part of that. I'd rather let her watch it, however disturbing it might be, and we discuss it together later, than cover her eyes as if she's a preschooler. I think the OP's parents may have been uncomfortable with the scene themselves, which makes sense, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to shield it from a young woman who is about to be an adult.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
It's my experience in the human race that knows that in todays day and age kids are far more informed than a lot of parents seem to think they are. With the interent the concept of rape, sex, drugs are not something you can brush under the carpet anymore and think someone that age isn't going to know. Is it possible a 17 year old who be that ignorant of life? Yes it is but that is the bare exception in this world and not the rule.
I read the book. The rape scene is more graphic than the average 13-year-old is aware of.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:48 PM

970 posts, read 2,214,101 times
If you have to cover your child's eyes during a movie due to the content, they are not mature enough for that movie and shouldn't be there in the first place!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:52 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
My mom would drop coins and have me and my brother search We're talking like 8 year olds or something.

We then hatched a plan and we dropped her purse, and we got to see everything.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:57 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyloves View Post
Do you, as parents have a certain age limit to when you'll stop covering your kids eyes? I'm asking because I'm 17 and went to go to see The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo with my parents. My eyes got covered through the sodomy scene, and other random sex scenes that were in that movie.
What kind of a family goes for this kind of movie as a family??

Am I missing something here? Did you enter the wrong theater? Geez

Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
I wouldn't take my kids to a sodomy movie in the first place and we don't go out to movies but watch them at home. I don't allow certain things in my home but I've been known to use the remote to change what's being watched.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
I think you're wrong. Sex with violence is worse than just violence, there is no need to associate the two together. I watch horror movies with my kids but rape and sexual torture are definitely out.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:08 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
Quote:
That's your prerogative as a parent, however i fail to see what its going to accomplish if your child is aware this happens :-P
Being aware that things happen is vastly different from watching those things happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting