Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:11 PM

786 posts, read 4,733,418 times

Advertisements

When I was a teenager I got bullied quite a few times by some of the kids at school. One kid who was a few years and 50 pounds bigger than me, told me I had to give him 25 cents a day for the right to live. I found a way to pay him after being beaten bloody one day when I did not have the money.

My parents went to the Principal about my being bullied but he brushed it off as "boys being boys" and would not do anything about it. I just had to take it until the kids outgrew it.

Parents, I know there is still alot of mental bullying going on now days in school, but I wonder if the rules about zero tolerance and lawsuits have eliminated physical bullies from all but the most inner City schools?

Anyone who has kids who are bullied physically now a days and if so what do you do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 01:53 PM

22 posts, read 84,861 times
I know there is alot of bullies still out there and I think personally, they are worse then ever! Now they are hooked into the net and post their nasty rants and personal information about others on their myspace web pages.

When I was a kid, the bullies used to shove and punch, now they bring knives and guns or just threaten your life.

My friend's son was threatened to the point that the bully had actually attempted to hire someone to kill her son! Hold on to your seat, this is in VERMONT!

As far as zero-tolerance, that is so iffy, sometimes I think they take that too far, expelling a kid for nail clippers (it was on the news a few years ago, ridiculous) to not catching on to the real problems until it becomes another Eric Harris. I think many schools are still trying to perfect their systems to keep up with the kids.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:54 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
My daughter has come home and told me that a boy has bullied her, hit her etc...one of the first times it happened, I went up to the school and spoke with the principal, she was a nice lady, she found the little a** h*** who was hitting my daughter and told him he would get in trouble, he ended up getting pulled off her bus...

She was younger then, now I make her speak to the teacher or the bus driver, the bus driver is pretty quick to act...her teacher is another story...I am hoping time will blot out the troubles we have had this school year with her teacher.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:05 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Oh we have two boys and one in particular was bullied last year by a boy in his class who also happened to be on the bus. After a year of my son being pinched, pushed by this little you know what, I finally called the father at 9pm at night. This was after his son had put his arms around my sons neck. Well the parents procedded to yell at me saying this was a school problem and they woudl call the school.
The following day the father called my cell and said ; I took care of my son and I expect you to do the same, click.
This year the child has shaken my son for money and told tales about my son, he has broken classmates pencils and other things. My son is very tall for his age and this little you know what is small. My son will not tell tales on him as he does not want him to get into trouble.

These kids are only 7.

The principal swears that this child will not be in my sons class again.

This is Catholic school
dorothy

Old 05-31-2007, 03:10 PM

56 posts, read 392,607 times
I Enrolled my son in a Karate class. It taugh him self control, self discipline, and most important of all it taught him how to deal with bullies. After a year in Karate he was more confident in himself which made him less vulnerable to a bully.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
I told my daughter that I didn't want her starting anything but if she had to defend herself then she wouldn't be in trouble with me for doing that...

I then went to her principle and her teacher and told them the same, they said she would be in trouble even if she wasn't the one to start it.

I told them in no uncertain terms that her physical safety was THEIR responsibility and if they can't take care of the job and it falls to my daughter to defend herself and they had a problem with that then TOO bad. I told them I didn't raise her to be a doormat and they might say she is in trouble but that I would not allow them to retain her one minute past the normal school day...

Old 05-31-2007, 03:30 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Quote:
This year the child has shaken my son for money and told tales about my son, he has broken classmates pencils and other things. My son is very tall for his age and this little you know what is small.
If I had come home from elementary school whining about being bullied, and my dad found out that the kid doing the bullying was smaller than me, I would have been in a world of s--- for allowing it to happen.

Someone needs to tell your kid that one Tyson-style blow to the dome will keep that little turd from ever looking at him again.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:32 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I told my daughter that I didn't want her starting anything but if she had to defend herself then she wouldn't be in trouble with me for doing that...

I then went to her principle and her teacher and told them the same, they said she would be in trouble even if she wasn't the one to start it.

I told them in no uncertain terms that her physical safety was THEIR responsibility and if they can't take care of the job and it falls to my daughter to defend herself and they had a problem with that then TOO bad. I told them I didn't raise her to be a doormat and they might say she is in trouble but that I would not allow them to retain her one minute past the normal school day...
This is the right attitude. Lil' Jon said it best: "Don't start no s---, there won't be no s---."

When I was in school, bullies didn't pick on the smallest or the weakest kids. They picked on the ones who would let them.

Even though I wasn't the biggest kid, I didn't get picked on because I wouldn't stand for it. When I have kids, I expect the same from them.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:22 AM

133 posts, read 629,513 times
I remember there being a lot of bullying when I was in school. Luckily, I wasn't the one "chosen" to pick on...really not so sure why not! But, now my kids go to an international American school overseas and I hear of very little bullying. However, a good frined of mine has her kids in the Australian school and bullying is a BIG problem. Maybe it's just the luck of the mix of kids from year to year...not sure. But, I do think that if you teach your kids from the beginning about NOT bullying anyone, then we would have less of a prolem. I constantly try to help my children understand what it would be like to be the victim. I am even REALLY strict about simple whispering in front of other children as not to leave anyone out. My children know that if they leave people out...then they don't have friends over..end of story.
Bullying comes from lack of self esteme.
This is first and foremost a parent issue...then it becomes a school issue. Kids can be cruel. But, if we start day one with teaching a bit of empathy, then we have one more child that won't bully another. My kids now know that a bully doesn't really feel good about him/her self...and you should ignore thm or try to show them the correct way to be a friend. They actually feel sorry for the bully! Anyway...unfortunately, I think bullying will always be there....adults even bully!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:17 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,060 times
I totally agree with above post.Teach your kids to not be bullies,and never tolerate it if they do.But also,they may stand up for themselves and not take any crap either.If a bully gets put down in a first attempt,he/she will move on to the next victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting