Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 11:18 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,399,350 times

Advertisements

Babies are adorable! There's nothing like the love surge of a full-body hug or the amazed pride you feel when your toddler takes his first steps!

Enough about the bright side. We do moms a disservice if we only gush about the countless truly terrific aspects of raising a child and neglect to mention the, well, harsher realities. It's useful to know that there are not-so-hot sides of the job, if only to take the edge off those inevitable pains of feeling exasperated, unnerved, or just surprised. And it's reassuring to know you're not the only one to admit a downside even exists. This is my list -- you'll probably have one, too.

There is no learning curve

Rather, if you graphed it, it would just go up and up. By the time you master colic, it's over. All your smug expertise at changing diapers on an upright toddler becomes obsolete when she graduates to big-kid underwear. Net result: You never feel quite on top of things.

8 things no one tells you about being a mom - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 11:43 AM

788 posts, read 2,106,257 times
#9 - when you have a child who you allow to be a total brat and then you try to pass off the little demon as "just being tired - he/she needs a nap," we can all tell the difference and you look like an idiot for saying that - then we're annoyed with the parent - not the kid

Old 09-08-2007, 09:07 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,668,144 times
I would like to add #10....You never get a day off!! lol

Old 09-11-2007, 03:55 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,846,024 times
You know what else no one tells a mom? That you're not suddenly going to feel like a "grown-up" just because you're a parent. You'll do all the grown-up things, you'll be responsible and you will take care of your child/children, but it's weird...you can get to 30 and 35 and 40 and still be sitting there wondering, "When am I going to feel like an 'older person'?".

I remember being a child and looking at 30-ish-year-old parents and thinking they had it all wrapped up. That they enjoyed being stern all the time, being responsible all the time, that paying the bills gave them the most immense satisfaction ever. Now I know it only looks that way, because that's how we present it to our children so that they'll feel secure. But deep down inside, honestly, I don't think we ever really grow up. I feel nothing like the way I used to think 40-year-olds feel. (Sorry, that sentence is awkward but I didn't know how else to put it.)

Old 09-11-2007, 05:40 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,668,144 times
I know exactly what you mean jerz!! Hey age is just a number ...especially if your almost 40!! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting