Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 03:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

Interesting article about a study of sleep needs for today's teens. When my kids were teens they stayed up way too late during the week doing school work but they always slept a lot during the weekend.
How much sleep do your teens get?

TODAY Health - How much sleep do teens really need? Maybe less than you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 03:49 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,705 times
well thanks, that actually makes me feel better! My teen doesn't usually get 8 hours on school nights, seven yes, eight no. So I guess we're good! My 12 year old gets more than 8, so I guess I should start waking him up earlier! I guess it was good to do the study again if it hasn't been done since the 70's. I did not read any of the related articles on the bottom of the page though.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I would guess it varies by the individual and activities and stages of life they're in.

One thing, you cannot send certain children to bed at any age over 2 and expect they'll fall asleep just because you told them to, and you can't tell a 16 year old it's time for night-night and think he's just going to get tucked in and go right to sleep. They'll sleep when they're ready to sleep, it's smart to set curfews, and earlier curfews on a school night and have quiet time in the home after a certain time.

Often though probably because of hormones and rapid growth, a teenager will sleep way more than you think one should be sleeping. It's not all that unusual for them to go to bed early enough on a Friday night and sleep until 2 pm -- and you want to go drag them out of bed.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Based on my brother as a teen...

about 12 hrs per "night"

Old 02-19-2012, 05:46 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,257 times
My 17 yo son goes to bed at 1030 or 11. And gets up at 645

Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Often though probably because of hormones and rapid growth, a teenager will sleep way more than you think one should be sleeping. It's not all that unusual for them to go to bed early enough on a Friday night and sleep until 2 pm -- and you want to go drag them out of bed.
There have been lots of studies on the phenomenon mentioned above. A good number of high schools found that by changing their start times, students' academic performance generally improved:

Do Later School Start Times Really Help High School Students? | Psychology Today

Old 02-20-2012, 10:26 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
There have been lots of studies on the phenomenon mentioned above. A good number of high schools found that by changing their start times, students' academic performance generally improved:

Do Later School Start Times Really Help High School Students? | Psychology Today
I've seen this as well. They now say that we do things wrong by getting up early, working out early, going to work, school to early. We should all be starting the day around 10, not 7.
The show on pbs I saw on this covered everything from school to surgery. It was very interesting. They said you shouldn't schedule surgery until after 12 pm because most heart attacks happen between 4 and 12 in the morning, including a work out. For some reason people are at their best to handle health issues in the afternoon. But, it would be hard to fast until then. lol
They also covered eating habits, we should eat large early and smaller as the day goes on. It was a great show, wish I could find the link. Very interesting to see how much we do against our clocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting