Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2DFW View Post
Is it common practice for parents of their children's sleepover party to prohibit the other children from bringing cell phones to the sleepover. My daughter was told this by the hosting parent, and I thought this was a little strange. I'm new to this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I think taking the cell phones away to prevent pictures being taken and posted is wise actually. Assuming there is a home phone, the kids can use that if they need to make calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 10:27 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I think taking the cell phones away to prevent pictures being taken and posted is wise actually. Assuming there is a home phone, the kids can use that if they need to make calls.
But we're nothing talking about kids here, were talking about teenagers who WANT their phone to text their other friends while they hang out.

Maybe let them have their phones right up until they go to bed but the rest of the night before that they should be able to have it, not walk right in the door and hand your phone over like you're checking in for a weekend at a juvenile detention facility.

And you realise if they have a picture capable phone then they can do that any time, not just at a sleep over.

What age would you all do this until? 18? 16? Till you felt they were mature and responsible? As long as they lived in your house even if they were 18 or older?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:38 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
But we're nothing talking about kids here, were talking about teenagers who WANT their phone to text their other friends while they hang out.
Where did the OP say this was about teenagers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
This makes the most sense.

One of my youngest's friends decided to record several of them singing and dancing at a sleepover which she posted to youtube and linked on Facebook. My youngest was one of the children filmed. I contacted the parents of the child who filmed/posted who were unaware of what their child had been doing, and that she had circumvented age restrictions on youtube.

Meanwhile the children who were in the video were subjected to ridiculous and cruel comments from those who viewed it until the video was pulled.

I don't blame the parents for saying no cell phones
This would be my guess as well. They may also be concerned from a liability aspect, as they might be held legally responsible for anything that happens at the party. Individually kids can be pretty smart, but when in a group, common sense and intelligence tend to fly out the window.

On a personal note, I think it's terribly sad when people (of any age) are SO obsessed with their cellphones that they're not willing to part with them for any length of time. It's actually possible to survive without them, you know -- even overnight, during a sleepover.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:39 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
That is odd. But at a party my son went to, another kid, pushed a kid into the pool. The kid in the pool ended up with a ruined iphone, and the parents put a claim on the homeowners policy, which paid out. So..you never know what could be the issue.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Where did the OP say this was about teenagers?

This would be my guess as well. They may also be concerned from a liability aspect, as they might be held legally responsible for anything that happens at the party. Individually kids can be pretty smart, but when in a group, common sense and intelligence tend to fly out the window.

On a personal note, I think it's terribly sad when people (of any age) are SO obsessed with their cellphones that they're not willing to part with them for any length of time. It's actually possible to survive without them, you know -- even overnight, during a sleepover.
Why on earth would we be talking about anyone under the age of say maybe 13 or so?
Surely, we're not talking about children, this is about teens, middle school and up, not "kids", when I hear kids I think of 8 year old, this is about teens.

And its not obsessed.
I wouldn't want to give up my phone because I have other people I would want to talk to. I would want to be able to text my mom and tell her good night. When I was 16/17 I sure as hell wasn't going to ask where the home phone was so I could say good night to my mom, you know, I would discretely text her and say it. Plus, at that age I had other people in my life that I wanted to talk to that night. If I was spending the night somewhere then I wanted to hear all about everything that was going on with my other friends nights too.

Sure people CAN go without their phones but if they don't want to who is someone else to force them to?

This whole thread is actually why I hardly EVER spent the night at friends houses. I hated other peoples parents. I was allowed to eat in my room, my mom left us alone, my mom didn't put restrictions on what we watched or did, she didn't make me leave my phone in the kitchen at night, as long as we stayed in the house and were quiet when it got late, we could pretty much do whatever.

When I have kids, I will hope their parents will be on just about the same page as me, either that or I will be the cool house.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That is odd. But at a party my son went to, another kid, pushed a kid into the pool. The kid in the pool ended up with a ruined iphone, and the parents put a claim on the homeowners policy, which paid out. So..you never know what could be the issue.
Yeah you can't push people in pools these days with out ruining a smartphone, an iPod and a PSP.

But still, its not your child, not your property, you let them know what does/doesn't fly in your house and that if you find out anything, they won't be allowed back.

If I was still a kid and someones parents told me to turn over my phone to them while I was there, I'd walk right back out the door and call my mom to come pick me up. As a teen I wouldn't willingly give up my phone, not knowing if it was going to get lost or stolen or if they were going to try and be nosy and look their teens friends phones.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:58 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Why on earth would we be talking about anyone under the age of say maybe 13 or so?
Ummmm, because it's the Parenting forum, and many parents have children under the age of 13?

Quote:
Surely, we're not talking about children, this is about teens, middle school and up, not "kids", when I hear kids I think of 8 year old, this is about teens.
Why? The OP simply said her "daughter" -- she didn't give an age. Regardless, teens don't have to be connected to their phones 24/7, either.

Quote:
And its not obsessed.
If someone can't give up a phone overnight (not speaking of emergency situations), then it IS an obsession.

Quote:
When I have kids, I will hope their parents will be on just about the same page as me, either that or I will be the cool house.
I look forward to hearing from you when you actually have children of your own. The reality is that it's a lot different "on the other side."

For example, as I mentioned in my post -- there are probable liability issues that could be driving the host mother's no cell phone request. That wouldn't even occur to you, because you've never been in that situation.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Ummmm, because it's the Parenting forum, and many parents have children under the age of 13?
Uhm, we're taking about cell phones here, I don't know how many parents on this forum worry about their 7 year old taking pictures with their smart phone and uploading them to the internet....

Old 02-26-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Why? The OP simply said her "daughter" -- she didn't give an age. Regardless, teens don't have to be connected to their phones 24/7, either.

If someone can't give up a phone overnight (not speaking of emergency situations), then it IS an obsession.

I look forward to hearing from you when you actually have children of your own. The reality is that it's a lot different "on the other side."

For example, as I mentioned in my post -- there are probable liability issues that could be driving the host mother's no cell phone request. That wouldn't even occur to you, because you've never been in that situation.
And by the way, no it's not, last night I went the whole night not touching my phone, but it was right there at the end of my bed thrown in my back pack, it was accessible, not in the grubby paws of someone else. Went the whole night not touching it but if someone had it, keeping it from me over night THEN I would have an issue because I wouldn't have the option to use it if I wanted to.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Maybe they don't want pics of their kids going online o.O?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting