Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 06:11 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times

Advertisements

I like the idea of a cook book where each family contributes a recipe. I wouldn't call it a shower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 07:02 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,830,121 times
No. No. No. Isn't it enough one has to acknowledge relatives, friends, co-workers, roommates, neighbors, acquaintances, etc, etc, etc.? Stop it.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:57 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,908,546 times
I know this is an old post, but my daughter's teacher got married this summer and no way on earth would I have thought it was appropriate to throw her a shower of any kind during school hours. Wedding, baby, etc. Nope. So many reasons why not. when a teacher leaves, its appropriate to present the teacher with a small gift made by the students and people can independently acknowledge the teacher. Also maybe a tribute or good bye at a assembly. But that is it. The teacher's personal life and professional life needs to have some boundaries. Its not like they cant share it with the class (although when I was a kid, my teachers never would have), but thats as far as it should go.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:15 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,766,452 times
I am not a big fan of gifts from students but I thinks blanket statement like "showers are inappropriate" is a bit much. My bestie's oldest daughter is 6 so seven years ago the senior class and the PTSA threw her a shower. She was the class advisor for the seniors for the whole time they were at our school and she went so far above and beyond with regards to her advisorship. Additionally, her mother passed away while she was pregnant so the kids really wanted to do something nice for her. It was awesome. The best present came from one of the kids moms who finished the crocheted baby blanket my friends mom had started before she passed. My friend is not a crier but she sobbed like a baby herself. It's was a wonderful gift and a great thing the kids and their families did.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am not a big fan of gifts from students but I thinks blanket statement like "showers are inappropriate" is a bit much. My bestie's oldest daughter is 6 so seven years ago the senior class and the PTSA threw her a shower. She was the class advisor for the seniors for the whole time they were at our school and she went so far above and beyond with regards to her advisorship. Additionally, her mother passed away while she was pregnant so the kids really wanted to do something nice for her. It was awesome. The best present came from one of the kids moms who finished the crocheted baby blanket my friends mom had started before she passed. My friend is not a crier but she sobbed like a baby herself. It's was a wonderful gift and a great thing the kids and their families did.
Don't you think there should be some professional boundaries? My kids go to a school where they are considered equal with they teachers, yet there are still some expectations of a professional relationship.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,766,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Don't you think there should be some professional boundaries? My kids go to a school where they are considered equal with they teachers, yet there are still some expectations of a professional relationship.
No. I think teachers should skip around nude and students should call them all buffy and kip.

Of course there are teacher-student boundaries. Why do you think a shower for a teacher means there are no boundaries? In fact the farther you go in education the more those "boundaries" become soft edges and there is nothing wrong with that. Students learning how to navigate those boundaries is a useful skill many kids don't possess.

If you are uncomfortable with a shower for a teacher, don't go, don't have your child go, you are by no means obligated in anyway to participate. What I find odd is you think it is ok for you to decide what sort of relationship all teachers should have with all parents and all students.

On another note; I will admit I am likely biased. I routinely go far above and beyond what it typically thought of as a teachers role. When Sandy hit, some students, their parents and I demoed another studentss home. Maybe it wasn't honoring professional boundaries to enjoy a cold beer afterward with some of the parents but it was a good thing regardless. My students regularly text me (never after 8 pm) and I just went out for ice cream with some graduates to catch up with them. That being said, I am not a fan of gifts. But community is a bond that lasts well beyond school, as a teacher I like being part of the community with my students and their families.

Last edited by lkb0714; 08-31-2016 at 07:34 PM..

Old 09-01-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No. I think teachers should skip around nude and students should call them all buffy and kip.

Of course there are teacher-student boundaries. Why do you think a shower for a teacher means there are no boundaries? In fact the farther you go in education the more those "boundaries" become soft edges and there is nothing wrong with that. Students learning how to navigate those boundaries is a useful skill many kids don't possess.

If you are uncomfortable with a shower for a teacher, don't go, don't have your child go, you are by no means obligated in anyway to participate. What I find odd is you think it is ok for you to decide what sort of relationship all teachers should have with all parents and all students.

On another note; I will admit I am likely biased. I routinely go far above and beyond what it typically thought of as a teachers role. When Sandy hit, some students, their parents and I demoed another studentss home. Maybe it wasn't honoring professional boundaries to enjoy a cold beer afterward with some of the parents but it was a good thing regardless. My students regularly text me (never after 8 pm) and I just went out for ice cream with some graduates to catch up with them. That being said, I am not a fan of gifts. But community is a bond that lasts well beyond school, as a teacher I like being part of the community with my students and their families.
I wasnt trying to be rude, a rude reply isn't needed.

If there is a shower during the day when my kid is at school, I am supposed to go pick them up? I mean I would go along with it, but I think it is unprofessional.

This is also saying I have a very casual relationship with my kid's teachers. One is my friend, we get together about once a month...even with her student/my kid around (not always). She keeps it professional even then. She doesn't talk to him about her boyfriend or anything. When he is in the room, topics tend to hover around things he is learning, or things they did in school or his interests. She saves the boyfriend talk for when we are alone.

My other kid's teacher is a "fb friend" and we chat here and there.

So I am totally comfortable with being friends with my kid's teachers, but I don't think school is the place to highlight a teacher's personal lives. But I see teacher's roles as focused on the kids, not the other way around.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleynj View Post
Thanks for responding, I spoke with the assistant principal today and she said we can have a shower and serve food within state dietary guidelines but she didn't think asking for money was a good idea. She would rather the children make something. The other mom and I are going to buy a scrapbook and ask the children to contribuite something creative. We live in a very middle class area and some parents are miserable to deal with when asking for food or money to be sent in for a party.
I think that's a great idea!

Old 09-01-2016, 08:33 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,333,155 times
This thread is from 2012, I would venture to guess the issue has been dealt with by now.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This thread is from 2012, I would venture to guess the issue has been dealt with by now.
LOL! Didn't notice that! Someone did revive it just a couple days ago. This stuff comes up often, I will say that, though none of my kids had a teacher get married, that I knew of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting