Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:40 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
However, it is different in middle/high school where it goes by grade level. We were talking about this on the ed forum as well, and someone brought up the age limits of high school participation. In Colorado, it appears to be OK if the student turns 19 after August 1 of the upcoming school year.
http://www.chsaa.org/about/pdf/Handbook_2011.pdf (broken link)
(See p. 53)
In FL students can play HS sports until they are 19 years, 9 months old but they only get 4 years of eligibility once they start 9th grade. It is very common in wrestling for parents to red shirt their middle school kids (sometimes for 2 years) so that they are as old as possible when they use their 4 years of eligibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 12:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The logic is that if a child is in HS from ages 15-19 instead of ages 14-18 he will have a better showing in athletics and attract the attention of college coaches by virtue of his superior physical development. I saw this last summer as my son went to quite a few football camps. He was competing against young men that were 19 while he was only 17. It makes a difference.

I did not do this with my kids but I don't consider those who do to be "sick". It's just a decision they made that they thought would be in their child's best interests.
I get that. I just have trouble thinking of my 5 year old in those terms. "Sick" might not be the right word, but I might say that parent has their priorities out of whack. I don't think of "red shirting" in Kinder as a way for my kid to be the most advanced academically or athletically. I look at it as a way for my kid to be average instead of behind. If my kid is behind, a college scholarship is going to be the furthest thing from my mind.

ETA I don't think I'm explaining myself very well. I don't see the logic in simultaneously thinking my kid is behind enough to warrant red shirting, and also athletic enough to get a college scholarship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting