Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,994,136 times

Advertisements

I had a similar situation with my MIL. We are very different and both strong personalities. When I got pregnant, I began to push back (not intentionally) against what I thought were her attempts to control me and my pregnancy. It created a LOT of stress for my husband.

In this case, the wife is really taking advantage of the situation with her parents living in town. She is naturally more comfortable with her parents, and completely not putting herself in the shoes of her in-laws. They also are her child's grandparents.

She needs to understand that one day she probably will be a MIL.

It's hard, though. When it happened to me, it was almost biological, like some mama bear reaction. It still colors my relationship with my MIL nearly 20 years later. But the wife needs to be a grown-up. The "baby" role is already taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 02:34 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,911 times
Do you think they are both vying for power over you?

I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't go and let you wife decide if she will go or stay.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,994,136 times
I don't think it's a battle for power over the husband. I think the wife is trying to prove that she is in charge of her child, not the MIL. That's why she doesn't want him to take the "baby" on the trip without her. She won't be there to control how to in-laws interact with the grandchild.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:47 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,055,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMan12 View Post
Would couples therapy be a kinder more subtle way to make these suggestions (again I'm sounding soft)
That's not soft at all, IMO. I think that's a great idea.

Actually, I wasn't going to say anything, but I was wondering if your wife might be suffering PPD and that could be some of the trouble. I think therapy is a wonderful thing and could totally help this situation. Good for you for thinking of it.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,192,444 times
Quote:
I'm getting responses that I expected hear. I know I have been a pushover. I think she is being selfish too. I feel terrible for my parents.

"Does your MIL arrange her time with her daughter and grandchild through you?" No she doesn't- and I think its great my daughter has grandparents close to us. I have expressed that to them and I've been the bigger man when my MIL makes obscure parenting suggestions and listening to her viewpoint of the male role in child raising (like being the gopher- taking trips to the store the first six months) My wife's mom ran her family- completely different dynamic the way I was raised. If I challenged her point of view she'd probably crumble and my wife would hate it and it would do no good.

Would couples therapy be a kinder more subtle way to make these suggestions (again I'm sounding soft) I would have to think an MFT would see this point of view.
If your wife is still unwilling to "allow" you to take your child to visit your parents, then I think marriage counseling is in order. I wouldn't advocate taking a child out of state against the mother's wishes, but you'd need to get to the bottom of your wife's reason for not wanting you to take your child.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:50 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,055,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I don't think it's a battle for power over the husband. I think the wife is trying to prove that she is in charge of her child, not the MIL. That's why she doesn't want him to take the "baby" on the trip without her. She won't be there to control how to in-laws interact with the grandchild.
It could be a lot of things... it could be that his wife just wanted to be left alone with her babies and didn't feel like sharing them yet.

I know after my babies were born I sort of went recluse for a bit. And I didn't like anyone else touching or caring for my babies. It was really hard. Everybody is different. Some mothers are like, YES please take them so I can pee and have a shower! lol Others, like me, would hand the baby over, crying, because they knew they needed to pee and shower and live life but it actually, physically, and emotionally hurts to let go of your baby at first. It really wasn't until my babies were around 2 or 3 months old that it got easier. And even then I was never more than an arm's distance away for quite a long time.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:53 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
I'm getting responses that I expected hear. I know I have been a pushover. I think she is being selfish too. I feel terrible for my parents.

"Does your MIL arrange her time with her daughter and grandchild through you?" No she doesn't- and I think its great my daughter has grandparents close to us. I have expressed that to them and I've been the bigger man when my MIL makes obscure parenting suggestions and listening to her viewpoint of the male role in child raising (like being the gopher- taking trips to the store the first six months) My wife's mom ran her family- completely different dynamic the way I was raised. If I challenged her point of view she'd probably crumble and my wife would hate it and it would do no good.

Would couples therapy be a kinder more subtle way to make these suggestions (again I'm sounding soft) I would have to think an MFT would see this point of view.
Couples therapy sounds like a decent idea. I *wonder* if your wife is moving in the direction of running the family as her Mom did. If so, then you could save yourself a lot of heartache by nipping that in the bud early. Twenty years of appeasing your wife only to look around and say hey wait what happened is something I have seen all too many times in the various marriage boards I have participated in. It is usually very destructive.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
A guys viewpoint...I would have my parents visit and I would take my children to visit my parents. I would let my wife know that I really wanted her to come on the visit to my parents and would be sad if she didn't, but it is really important for me to have my children know my parents. When parents visit, I would also let my wife know that my parents being with my child is the number one priority while they are in town, since they are in town so infrequently. Further, I would say that your MIL should not come over for the first few hours your parents are with your child, so your parents and child can get familiar.

Even if your mom is difficult, your wife is really making me angry and sad...extremely selfish, while hurting the child and your marriage, in my point of view.
Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Here is a woman's point of view who is probably closer to your mom's age than to yours. I'll be a bit blunt here but I think you need to hear it.

You need to grow a pair and stop allowing your wife to treat your parents like second class citizens. They are also your child's grandparents and should be allowed to see their grandchild without conditions. You need to tell your wife that whatever the fight was about, she needs to get over it. You have said your mom is normal and no threat you your child. Well you need to convey that to your wife. She is beyond unreasonable and has gone into manipulative childish behavior.

Your parents are the only ones you will ever have in this life. Don't let your wife dictate how you will interact with them!
Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I had a similar situation with my MIL. We are very different and both strong personalities. When I got pregnant, I began to push back (not intentionally) against what I thought were her attempts to control me and my pregnancy. It created a LOT of stress for my husband.

In this case, the wife is really taking advantage of the situation with her parents living in town. She is naturally more comfortable with her parents, and completely not putting herself in the shoes of her in-laws. They also are her child's grandparents.

She needs to understand that one day she probably will be a MIL.

It's hard, though. When it happened to me, it was almost biological, like some mama bear reaction. It still colors my relationship with my MIL nearly 20 years later. But the wife needs to be a grown-up. The "baby" role is already taken.
And Yes! again. DILs need to recognize that the paternal parents are just as valid grandparents as the maternal ones are. Possibly even a bit more, as that is where the surname comes from.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 9,124 times
"Actually, I wasn't going to say anything, but I was wondering if your wife might be suffering PPD"

I mentioned that when our daughter was a couple months old and it didn't go over too well. I've tried my best to avoid conflict, but have ultimately created more conflict in the long run. This situation is bad because now it is no longer just spilling over to me its affecting my parents, brothers, etc. and my daughter is getting older.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
It could be a lot of things... it could be that his wife just wanted to be left alone with her babies and didn't feel like sharing them yet.

I know after my babies were born I sort of went recluse for a bit. And I didn't like anyone else touching or caring for my babies. It was really hard. Everybody is different. Some mothers are like, YES please take them so I can pee and have a shower! lol Others, like me, would hand the baby over, crying, because they knew they needed to pee and shower and live life but it actually, physically, and emotionally hurts to let go of your baby at first. It really wasn't until my babies were around 2 or 3 months old that it got easier. And even then I was never more than an arm's distance away for quite a long time.
But the OP's child is 2 years old, not a "baby".

I think the issue comes down to respect for one's spouse. If the wife loves her husband, and recognizes he is a good man, then the parents deserve some credit for raising him. if the wife can't respect the in-laws, then she isn't respecting her own husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting