Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:05 AM

73 posts, read 283,943 times

Advertisements

My kid is going to take classical elite school program test next week. He is only 6 years old. I dont' know what they are going to test him. Is there anyway to prepare our kids for such fun test?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 09:14 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrhm View Post
My kid is going to take classical elite school program test next week. He is only 6 years old. I dont' know what they are going to test him. Is there anyway to prepare our kids for such fun test?

Thanks.
What is this? And frankly, I don't believe you should have to be "prepping" a 6 yo child for anything. Geez...he's SIX. I find this a bit disturbing and more than a little sad.

Last edited by maciesmom; 01-09-2011 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: left out word...

Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 AM

13,413 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What is this? And frankly, I don't believe you should have to be "prepping" a 6 yo child for anything. Geez...he's SIX. I find this a disturbing and more than a little sad.
I had DrPhil on (I know, I know, but he's on after the news and sometimes I don't bother to change it ) the other day, and he had a woman on who was paying $500 for software to prep her 3 year old to get into PRESCHOOL in Manhattan. The woman from the software company said it's not unusual for people to pay $100/hour and up for a preschool tutor.

I know getting into a good preschool in certain places is competitive but that is beyond ridiculous to me. Too much pressure on kids, for gawd's sake.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I had DrPhil on (I know, I know, but he's on after the news and sometimes I don't bother to change it ) the other day, and he had a woman on who was paying $500 for software to prep her 3 year old to get into PRESCHOOL in Manhattan. The woman from the software company said it's not unusual for people to pay $100/hour and up for a preschool tutor.

I know getting into a good preschool in certain places is competitive but that is beyond ridiculous to me. Too much pressure on kids, for gawd's sake.
Wow.....that's just unbelievable....talk about a warped sense of priorities (IMO). Poor kids.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Finster is talking about the accessory kids. The kids are mere accessories.

The parents tout their children's accomplishments similar to their new designer purse.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

The parents tout their children's accomplishments similar to their new designer purse.

Oh I understand...I still find it shocking and sad though when I hear about it. It just "fails to compute" in my head....

Old 01-09-2011, 09:40 AM

It fails to compute in my head too.

These people literally think that their children will not get into Harvard if they don't get into the right preschool.

There are people like this everywhere, but some cities seem to fester the mindset.

It seems to be regional---perhaps more in high cost of living areas that have limited quality schools?

I don't know. It's weird though.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:44 AM

At the same time, I do recognize the advantage that the best private education can provide.

I just don't think it should be at the expense of a child. If the child isn't naturally equipped, the parent shouldn't push.

If the region is too competitive for private schools, the parents should consider moving to where their child can get into the best schools.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:50 AM

645 posts, read 988,641 times
Analyze ability to follow directions and obey commands?
How well do they comply with school requirements and expectations?
How quickly/easily will they they assimilate to environment?
Ability to quickly/easily identify those in authority and follow authority?
How well and how quickly will they fit in and play well with others?
Ease upon which they can adopt current culture and policies
Likelihood of advancing school's programs and or profile
Likelihood to make large and "positive" contributions to the school

If all of the above are met/passed - then they'll move on to testing/evaluating your child...

Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:

This is just mind blowing that people act like this. For some reason they equate that with being a better parent when the opposite is true.

Quote:
At the same time, I do recognize the advantage that the best private education can provide.

I just don't think it should be at the expense of a child. If the child isn't naturally equipped, the parent shouldn't push.

If the region is too competitive for private schools, the parents should consider moving to where their child can get into the best schools.
Or, live in an area where the public schools are superior to the private schools and you don't have to worry about "competition" to get in .

OP, back off and relax. Your child will thank you in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting