Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:38 PM

502 posts, read 985,913 times

Advertisements

HOW TO SCREW UP YOUR CHILDREN

1. Harp on them constantly, telling them that they are stupid or what

they do is stupid.

2. When you are drunk or stoned and upset, call them queare, sissy,

foolish, dumb, worthless.

3. Compare them to the neighbor's childrens achievements.

4. If you have more than one child you can pit one against the other

and then switch back and forth.

5. You can threaten to send them back to the divorced spouse, or relatives.

6. You can say, "I wish I never had you."

7. If I had more money I would have sent you away to a boarding school.

8. Eat and s*** , Eat and S*** - thats all you ever do. (costing me lots of money).

9. I'll bet Wayne and Bobby dont stay up All Night doing homework. (electric bill too high)

And when they eventually leave the nest and never call you or write,

or visit, you can say to yourself, what Ungrateful Brats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 03:54 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
Tons of people are raised in less than ideal families and situations. You can let it mess you up for life, or you can look at your early years as a what-not-to-do primer and go on to live a happy, productive life and be a good spouse and parent.

Last edited by Hedgehog_Mom; 04-21-2012 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: because it was censoring the word "screw"

Old 04-21-2012, 04:02 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
I doubt you will find the parents this is targeted at on the CD parenting forum.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:02 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Mango,

I like the way you wrote this. Thanks for posting!

Old 04-22-2012, 03:53 PM

Oh and I forgot, 10. You are just like your mother ! Or You are just like your Father ! ( each parent blames you for the other they see in you. )

Old 04-22-2012, 03:57 PM

Default And there should be a License and Certification Program in order to Become a Parent

So that adled brained adults dont make babies helter skelter and F them up real good.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:09 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
OP, about the message you posted on my profile...

I'm serious, if you're over 25 and you're still blaming your parents for your emotional issues, you need to reevaluate. At some point you have to take control of your life and make your own happiness, or realize it's not your parents holding you back, it's you, yourself. My husband and I both grew up with a lot of the things on your list, and some others that you forgot to mention, including physical abuse and neglect. Neither of us have let it ruin our lives. We're happy and raising our kids well.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
I don't see a thing wrong with acknowledging upbringing as a catalyst to present issues. It's cathartic to be able to feel and acknowledge this. Upbringing is a HUGE part of our lives.

Once it is acknowledged, the next step is dealing with it and taking ownership of you. You are not what your parents are/were or what they said you are/were. Once you internalize this, you'll do great OP!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:04 AM

So all we need to do is tell all the people in Prison that :You are not what your parents are/were or what they said you are/were. ( this is great coming from very well balanced people who grew up in normal healthy mom and dad families ).... I feel so much better now, after the verbal, emotional, and physical abuse from stepfath** and alcoholic father who hated the entire clan of my mother's side and grew to hate my mother for walking out on him when I was 2 or 3; then would rant and rage at the supper table with moi. I wound up growing up with a mom moving to Vegas who did not know what exactly she wanted in life and then eventually marries a guy resolved not to be single forever. She dies at age 47 of cancer. The 2 of them put a plate in front of me, no seconds, they were in their own world and ignored me emotionally. I move in my "dad" who could not fathom the responsibility of raising a kid even though he made outstanding money by today's standards. I left the house as soon as I graduated from H.S. Did not even go to the prom, as I was such a wreck. Sought solice in getting as much education as I could. ( it is O.K. to vent on this forum isnt it ???? ......... Hope this prevents others from Screwing Up Their Babies to be. )

Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
HOW TO SCREW UP YOUR CHILDREN

1. Harp on them constantly, telling them that they are stupid or what

they do is stupid.

2. When you are drunk or stoned and upset, call them queare, sissy,

foolish, dumb, worthless.

3. Compare them to the neighbor's childrens achievements.

4. If you have more than one child you can pit one against the other

and then switch back and forth.

5. You can threaten to send them back to the divorced spouse, or relatives.

6. You can say, "I wish I never had you."

7. If I had more money I would have sent you away to a boarding school.

8. Eat and s*** , Eat and S*** - thats all you ever do. (costing me lots of money).

9. I'll bet Wayne and Bobby dont stay up All Night doing homework. (electric bill too high)

And when they eventually leave the nest and never call you or write,

or visit, you can say to yourself, what Ungrateful Brats.

I agree entirely. I'm sorry if this is what happened to you. Those are soul destroying things to say to a child. You're quite welcome to get it off your chest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting