Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 PM

645 posts, read 988,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I tried all of these things and they did nto work. I am a failure. They just laughed whenever I said something like this.

The are mostly older now. Is there anything I can do to make them dysfunctional at this time, or is it too late?
It probably would help if you didn't look like Danny Devito and speak like Arnold Schwarzenegger...

OK, I apologize for the juvenile humor...Listen, Cold, I'm not here to bust your b's, but if you've read the OP's follow up posts, it's apparent that the first post was not meant to be a joke. The OP has had to deal with some serious issues and is most likely trying to reach out to some folks here. No need to make a joke of it.

Sorry...didn't mean to be a thread cop. I'll try and lighten up by going back to my chips and beer now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 12:09 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
1. Harp on them constantly, telling them that they are stupid or what they do is stupid.

3. Compare them to the neighbor's childrens achievements.

7. If I had more money I would have sent you away to a boarding school.
Ok now these are the ones that I don't think can hurt, but can improve a child if used properly.

Take for example number 1. I see no problem in telling a child their actions are stupid, when in fact they are stupid. There have been PLENTY of times I have done that, during long talks about when they screwed up and they aren't any worse for it.

And number 3, a bit of healthy competition is just fine as well, as long as it is done the right way. It can actually instill a bit of personal pride and desire in a good way in kids.

And 7, I DID threaten to send the youngest off to boarding school after that last stunt she pulled (only major one she's tried); basically I knew where she was (since I had a buddy spying on her), but she didn't know I knew, and she was NOT where she was supposed to be, and she was 3 hours late in getting home! Now, I did know she was safe when she called me (my friend, not the child); but the child didn't know that, the child lied on where she was going, and the child didn't call and check in. Oh boy she got it good for that one, lol!

Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 PM

502 posts, read 985,208 times
I would count it all joy if I was raised in a way that my bio parents even conversed with me as a child.... but they divorced when I was 2 or 3. My mom hated what she saw in me that reminded me of Him.... and He hated what he saw in me that reminded him of her. They did not talk with me and he ridiculed me (as an ex Marine), as never measuring up . Although I never did anything in his eyes that did measure up.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:54 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
I would count it all joy if I was raised in a way that my bio parents even conversed with me as a child.... but they divorced when I was 2 or 3. My mom hated what she saw in me that reminded me of Him.... and He hated what he saw in me that reminded him of her. They did not talk with me and he ridiculed me (as an ex Marine), as never measuring up . Although I never did anything in his eyes that did measure up.
I can kinda understand how you feel, since my bio Dad tried to kill my Mom and I in a drunken drugged up stupor by trying to blow the car up for insurance money. Yeah total winner there right? Not 3 weeks later he WILLINGLY signed over custody to my grandparents. Total peach I tell ya.

My bio Mom I saw occasionally, and she said the same things that your Mom did after I got older.

Oh, and BTW completely off topic, but a Marine is never an ex, (unless they were dishonorably discharged) otherwise, we are former Marines, lol!

*Sorry, I tend to be a little AR about that!

Yeah, I talk to the kiddos. They are 18, 15/16 and almost 13, of course when I can get them to talk I do!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 AM

502 posts, read 985,208 times
Default Yeah Cav Scout,

That is interesting, and I would like to see a ball bisting CALCULUS LEVEL 2 EXAM (type) that Adults would have to pass before they can make babies in this world to weed out all the baby-puppy-love " I want to make babies just because I can. " And, it is my right, so scratch YOU ! Then F up the child just because they were never adequate to raise a child and be a responsible ADULT ! I am a former Marine from San Diego but got more out of my USAF career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting