Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:55 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

So, for years on various message boards, I have defended people bringing their children into dining establishments. I've scoffed at people who told stories about hell raising children and do-nothing parents. I never witnessed such antics. Until a family night out a few weeks ago...

It all began with a quiet family drive down an old state highway to a favorite out of the way diner. Being a Friday night, the place was swarming with families and young children. However, the accompanying din of baby talk and attentive parents was of normal level. We sat down, admiring the view of the country side, pointing out different animals and plants to our children. DH and I exchanged several smiles as the kids made different animal sounds and silly knock jokes.

And then it happened. (censored words rhyme with its)

"HEY SWEET ****!!!!"

The sound of a pre-adolescent male yelling such an obscene phrase shocked the rest of us into stupefied silence. Several of us looked around at each other, to confirm that we did indeed hear it.

Then again, "HEY SWEET ****!!! Sit the hell down! Mom, tell her to sit down!!!!" Whether you were the next table over or all the way in the far corner on the upper level, one could hear this braying child.

His parents did NOTHING but laugh. The yelling boy and his siblings began to fight, run around and yell. All of this punctuated by the call of Boy Child: "HEY SWEET ****!!!!"

This continued for approximately 15 minutes. Each consecutive shriek made the rest of us more uncomfortable. Finally, thankfully the family decided to leave. The mother of this wolf den said, upon taking her leave, "Oh these kids are so embarrassing." Understatement of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Well, I hope the mother was embarrassed for herself and her husband. Seriously, that would be the last time I took them out without some very explicit guidelines in place.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, I hope the mother was embarrassed for herself and her husband.
The parents laughed and did nothing, so I doubt it.

That's awful, Magritte.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
If my daughter had said something like that I would have taken her home immediately. I can't believe that the parents didn't say anything.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:27 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,693 times
A kid doesnt learn a phrase like that watching tv, I have never heard that in the media, with the exception of some stereotyping 50's type movie, rated r. He had to have heard that at home and his parents accept that as normal.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Curious to know what the ***** is, but I'm quite sure it was horrible.

I hate going places where people curse freely with no regard to people around them. I don't curse around my dd, at least I try not to, so it does irritate me when adults have no respect for the people around them, especially children.

For kids to be talking like this it must have been worse, especially with parents sitting there listening and not even bothering to reprimand them. The parents should be ashamed, and the bad part is they're probably laughing about it now, thinking it was cute and funny.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:46 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Curious to know what the ***** is, but I'm quite sure it was horrible.

I hate going places where people curse freely with no regard to people around them. I don't curse around my dd, at least I try not to, so it does irritate me when adults have no respect for the people around them, especially children.

For kids to be talking like this it must have been worse, especially with parents sitting there listening and not even bothering to reprimand them. The parents should be ashamed, and the bad part is they're probably laughing about it now, thinking it was cute and funny.
I do believe that the **** mean t*ts. Another word for breats. Sounds like something the Dad my call the Mom. My husband would never call me that, but to each his own.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
It's hard to say what the family did or didn't do when they got out of the restaurant. You can't spank them in public anymore, so if they were punished, it probably happened in the privacy of their own home.

We have a great punishment for our kids when they do something terrible. Pootie duty. Give them a pair of gloves and a pooper scooper and let them clean up the back yard. If what they did is bad enough, send them next door to scoop the neighbor's yard too, and he has three big dogs. And then there's daily pootie duty, usually for a month if the offense was bad enough.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
I feel for you Mags.

It must have been awful.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:54 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
, OP. Holy cow. And excellent thread title, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
We have a great punishment for our kids when they do something terrible. Pootie duty. Give them a pair of gloves and a pooper scooper and let them clean up the back yard. If what they did is bad enough, send them next door to scoop the neighbor's yard too, and he has three big dogs. And then there's daily pootie duty, usually for a month if the offense was bad enough.
This is a fantastic idea that I am so stealing for when the kiddos get older!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting