Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Except a girl at 14 wearing this is doing it for the reason of attracting attention. The problem is at that age the attention they attract is probably not going to be friendly boys looking for a chat. I've been to clubs like these, and you always have skeezy 18-21 year old guys hanging around looking to pick up middle school chicks. An adult is going to have a better head on her shoulders on how to handle guys like that. But a young girl craving male attention,excited that an older guy is taking notice of her not so much.

Anyway i didn't argue over that fact the daughter being trustworthy really had anything to do with sleepovers. Just that stopping a party after a certain time was not going to ensure stupidity didn't happen.

Well..most parents know that there is no way to ensure stupidity doesn't happen. It will happen. That's a given. As a parent, you try to weigh the alternatives and mitigate the risk.

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-01-2012 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I don't like the sound of these "under 21" clubs....why would kids need a club? I went to discos but it was always at a school with my peers. A 12 yr old could go to a club and get hit on by a 21 year old pedophile right?
Honestly the issue is not always that the 21 year olds are pedophiles. The issue is that the 14/15 year old girls lie about their age, presenting themselves a 16+ and it is nearly impossible for a young man (16-21) to know that they are underage.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:01 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You don't have to go to an under 21 club to see scantily clad teens all you have to do is go to the mall, school, library, university, downtown, walmart, etc. etc. etc..........definitely NOT exclusive to under 21 clubs OR teens. Personally I am sick of seeing everyone else's everything, put some real clothes on already especially if you are going to be going to Office Depot or a "family" restaurant. I do not want to see your red plaid pajamas with cows on them or your light blue disney pajamas unless you are under the age of 4 and I am at your home visiting and it is your bed time.
I'm sorry but I haven't see that in those places, certainly not universities, libraries, or downtown.

Maybe pools but certainly not people college age which you should care about anyways because they are adults and it's none of your business.

And pajamas in public is not the same as dressing scantily clad out in public.

You act like its an epidemic and teenage girls everywhere are dressing like this, its not the norm and it certainly is not the rule either, it's the exception.

Shorts and tank tops are pretty normal in my area in the spring and summer months and I wouldn't say that shorts and tank tops was anything to get your knickers in a twist over.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I'm sorry but I haven't see that in those places, certainly not universities, libraries, or downtown.

Maybe pools but certainly not people college age which you should care about anyways because they are adults and it's none of your business.

And pajamas in public is not the same as dressing scantily clad out in public.

You act like its an epidemic and teenage girls everywhere are dressing like this, its not the norm and it certainly is not the rule either, it's the exception.

Shorts and tank tops are pretty normal in my area in the spring and summer months and I wouldn't say that shorts and tank tops was anything to get your knickers in a twist over.
*begins slow clap*

Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Anyway back on topic, i see the danger in more a younger person not understanding there are potential ramifications for how you dress. Those girls are on a public website, which they also posted on all their facebooks. Like it or not down the road there is a chance that will bite them in the ass.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Nope, we would not let our daughter leave the house like that. She's only eight now but she's going to have to wait until she's out of the house to dress that way if she chooses to. I won't even spend money buying her a bikini to wear to the beach, we only purchase one piece suits. That may seem overly strict to some but that's our prerogative.
We were the same way. Our daughter is now 16, and by learning modesty at a young age like your daughter, she has never wanted to show off her body. If yours is like my daughter, by the time she's out of the house, she won't have a desire to dress like that. I've never had an argument about clothes w/ my daughter because she has learned from a young age what is appropriate.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post
We were the same way. Our daughter is now 16, and by learning modesty at a young age like your daughter, she has never wanted to show off her body. If yours is like my daughter, by the time she's out of the house, she won't have a desire to dress like that. I've never had an argument about clothes w/ my daughter because she has learned from a young age what is appropriate.
But it all depends on what the parent thinks is modest and what the teen adapts as their own version of modesty.

I don't think tank tops and shorts are immodest nor do I think two pieces or even some bikinis are immodest. As long as nothing is hanging out and things are covered I don't see an issue.

If I have a daughter for all I know she could have her own personal beliefs and stick to one pieces her whole life or not like to wear anything shorter than bermuda shorts.

But I don't think parents should just too heavily if their opinions vary a little.
Like if a mom thinks bermuda shorts are as short as shorts should be and the daughter thinks regular shorts are fine then I don't see an issue there or if a mom thinks one pieces are all anyone should wears but the daughter grows up and finds she likes decent covering two pieces. I don't either party should be heavily judged.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
But it all depends on what the parent thinks is modest and what the teen adapts as their own version of modesty.

I don't think tank tops and shorts are immodest nor do I think two pieces or even some bikinis are immodest. As long as nothing is hanging out and things are covered I don't see an issue.

If I have a daughter for all I know she could have her own personal beliefs and stick to one pieces her whole life or not like to wear anything shorter than bermuda shorts.

But I don't think parents should just too heavily if their opinions vary a little.
Like if a mom thinks bermuda shorts are as short as shorts should be and the daughter thinks regular shorts are fine then I don't see an issue there or if a mom thinks one pieces are all anyone should wears but the daughter grows up and finds she likes decent covering two pieces. I don't either party should be heavily judged.
The linked picture included three girls, all of whom had stuff "hanging out." They weren't wearing tank tops. They were wearing small, lingerie-type bustiers and very short shorts, and not a lot was left to the imagination.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:39 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
I would have more of an issue letting girls that age go out to a club to pick up boys. The clothes would hardly be my issue. Boys can take off more clothes than that without a problem. They don't care how easy it is. They don't care how modest the shirt is they peel off your daughter.
Why would you let girls that age go clubbing? I guess I'm old.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I would have more of an issue letting girls that age go out to a club to pick up boys. The clothes would hardly be my issue. Boys can take off more clothes than that without a problem. They don't care how easy it is. They don't care how modest the shirt is they peel off your daughter.
Why would you let girls that age go clubbing? I guess I'm old.
Picking up boys isn't the only reason people go to clubs. I can't speak for everyone, but for the majority of people, I wouldn't even say that's one reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting