Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 05:05 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Uh nope. I was overestimating at 150 stranger abductions a year, the real number is closer to 115. Deaths from stranger abductions number around 50 a year. Tragic yes, but very very unusual.

FAQ: Statistics

STATS: Today show revises number of missing kids downwards
My quote was wrong my apologies....I posted this in True Crime forum last week. Numbers are all over the place depending on the cite.

These stats are from NISMART...National Incidence Study of Missing, Exploited, Runaway and Throwaway Children.

Missing Children Myths | SparkAction

For instance, of those nearly 800,000 children reported missing each year, 99 percent are found through law enforcement efforts, according to FBI statistics. That still leaves 8,000 to 10,000 missing despite a prolonged search�a frightening, but certainly far more manageable, number.

About 200 to 300 children are kidnapped in the classic sense each year, according to the National Incidence Study of Missing, Exploited, Runaway and Throwaway Children (NISMART). Another 3,200 to 4,600 are taken for shorter periods, have something done to them, often a sexual assault of some type, and are then released. This number could be two to five times higher than the NISMART estimate, some believe, because of underreporting to law enforcement.

Myth #1: Young children are the most common victims of abduction and exploitation.

Actually, adolescents, especially girls, are the ones at greatest risk. The average victim of abduction and murder is an 11-year-old girl with a stable family relationship. First contact with her abductor usually occurs within a quarter-mile of her own home.

Myth #4: Teaching children to beware of strangers is the most important step we can take to keep them safe from abduction.

The vast majority of children are abused, molested or exploited by people they know, or whom they do not consider strangers. According to NCMEC statistics, even in non-family abductions, most perpetrators were not considered to be strangers by the victim.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Well thank God someone's is! Better to be super careful regarding defenseless children than to be as apathetic as the others on here.

The reason so many kids are taken or even just beaten up or lost is due to not having enough of a concern!
In some cases, sure, but in all, or even most? doubtful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Just saw another post saying the park is two blocks from your home, most abductions are within two blocks of the home...just think about it. I'm all for independence in kids, not in a public place alone...sorry.
Well, ya, because kids are usually close to home, not wandering on the other side of town

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-18-2012 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: deleting the immigration discussion

Old 05-17-2012, 05:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
My kids don't walk to school, they go to private school so I drive them. The public school kids DO however all walk to school and home together. Since its sanctioned by the public school I'm assuming it's legal.

And interesting to note that more kids are injured in cars on the way to school than kids injured who are walking to school.
Kids are getting picked up by family members everywhere by me now in public schools and where I used to live as well.

Your statement here in CA would be accurate if you went to the barrio of Los Angeles 90001 where we have schools like Miramonte where the teachers were molesting the kids.
There they have almost all of the public school children walking home themselves. Or even more often they walk to a state funded babysitter at a cost of $600 a month where they watch cable TV, get fed starchy food to make them fat and of course do no homework.

So when I see young kids walking home without someone I think they are very poor or their parents don't care.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

Well, ya, because kids are usually close to home, not wandering on the other side of town
Watch ...you might hurt yourself doing that.

DO YOU READ...The discusion isn't about a child wandering on the other side of town.

The OP thinks his child is safe bc the park is 2 blocks from his home.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:15 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Your statement here in CA would be accurate if you went to the barrio of Los Angeles 90001 where we have schools like Miramonte where the teachers were molesting the kids.
There they have almost all of the public school children walking home themselves. Or even more often they walk to a state funded babysitter at a cost of $600 a month where they watch cable TV, get fed starchy food to make them fat and of course do no homework.

So when I see young kids walking home without someone I think they are very poor or their parents don't care.
I live in an upper middle class neighborhood in a small town in the Pacific Northwest. Its no Beverly Hills of course...

Old 05-17-2012, 05:17 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Quote:

DO YOU READ...The discusion is about a child wandering on the other side of town.

2 blocks is on the other side of town?

Old 05-17-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The worst things that happened to me in my childhood were in the car with a parent, next door to my house with my neighbors, and at home in ways that I won't go into here.
I had a neighbor in Brooklyn jump off the bridge, my parents never left me with them.
There are bad parents and neighbors out there, doesn't mean it is safe for a 7-8 year old out there by themselves.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:

DO YOU READ...The discusion isn't about a child wandering on the other side of town.

Hello? I know what the discussion is about. Do you think a child predator knows or cares if a child is 2 blocks from home or across town? Of course not! It happens close to home, because that's where kids hang out. It is a meaningless stat. The kid is no more likely to be kidnapped from the park than from anywhere else. The OP doesn't think the kid is safe because he's close to home. The OP thinks his kid is fairly safe because child abductions are very rare. and, ya you deserve another of these

Old 05-17-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I live in an upper middle class neighborhood in a small town in the Pacific Northwest. Its no Beverly Hills of course...
BH now, middle class suburb earlier. Usually young kids don't walk home by themselves in either case.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Hello? I know what the discussion is about. Do you think a child predator knows or cares if a child is 2 blocks from home or across town? Of course not! It happens close to home, because that's where kids hang out. It is a meaningless stat. The kid is no more likely to be kidnapped from the park than from anywhere else. The OP doesn't think the kid is safe because he's close to home. The OP thinks his kid is fairly safe because child abductions are very rare.
Yes...the OP stated the child is okay, its only 2 blocks from home...again...you didn't read and go off on your tangent.

The OP thinks his child is safe 2 blocks from home...I said abduction happen within 2 blocks of home....what don't you get about that??

Your quote
"Well, ya, because kids are usually close to home, not wandering on the other side of town"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting