Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times

Advertisements

I don't have a DVD player in my car, but my sister does. For long trips in my car, dd usually listens to music for awhile then falls asleep. In my sister's car, she and her cousins are wide awake staring at the screen for the entire trip, each with their own set of headphones. When we finally get to where we are going, she's wired and hyper from sitting and staring so long and not napping, so I much prefer trips in our own car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 11:37 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Similar to Kibbie, our car came with the DVD player, even though I would have preferred it hadn't. It was exciting for DS for the first few longer trips, but after the novelty wore off, he decided he much preferred telling us all about everything he observed outside instead (anyone want to know how many overpasses there are between Philadelphia and Long Island? ), so we really don't use it. I agree with everyone who said moderation and limit setting are useful. I consider it a life skill to be able to entertain oneself.

Don't get me started on the texting and perpetual phone conversations while driving. I am very rigid in my belief that divided attention while driving is dangerous and nothing is so important that it can't wait for a few minutes or until I can pull over.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:21 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
When your kids are in the car you have great opportunity to have some really goods discussions about so much more than just school. They are a captive audience, eye contact which can be uncomfortable with some subjects can be avoided and it is a great bonding time. Be aware once they start driving you rarely have that one on one time with them. So take advantage of it while you can.

Also at our house, the minute we enter everybody goes to do their own thing, especially after school. They want snack and down time and don't want to really talk.
We have a video set up for trips longer than 2 hours or so but even then the kids usually end up watching a small movie and then want to talk.
Exactly! Our kids are grown now, youngest is 18 but still I love the car rides. It is a 5 hour ride to his college and we pretty much talked the whole way back when we moved him home.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I can understand having a video system going for the kids on long vacations/car trips. Makes perfect sense.

But it seems parents are replacing quality communication time with their children with more video time. I drive by a pre-school daycare on my way home from work. Last week I saw a mini-van pull out after picking up their kids. The video screen was on and the driver was texting and driving at the same time. No communication in the car at all.

I think it's sad, that is the most important time for a parent to see how their child's day went, what they learned.

Narcissistic people breeding narcissistic children.
Why do you care what other people do in their own car?

Old 05-19-2012, 05:13 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Not really a fan myself and haven't owned a vehicle with one installed. My mom did buy my son a portable one when he was about 8 or 9. Honestly, I think it only got used a few times. I think there are plenty of parents that restrict the usage and of course plenty that don't. My brother and SIL have a mini van with the video. They fall into the category of over usage. My mom has gone out to dinner with them and they pick her up. She said the kids stare at the video screens with their headphones on, my SIL texts from the passenger seat and my brother talks on his cell to a friend. She said it felt lonely, complete disconnection. Sounds like a good time.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:06 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why do you care what other people do in their own car?
Why do I care. Hmmm, brilliant question!

Maybe it's when I go to a restaurant and see these parents ignoring their unruly children while they stare at their smart phones and I'm just trying to figure out what they are thinking?

Put the damn gadgets away and talk to your kids, find out what is going on with them. Kids are not stupid, they act out when they figure out their parents really don't care about them that much.

So stuff them in the back of the van, throw in a movie and ignore them and see what happens in 15 years when it's too late.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:18 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why do I care. Hmmm, brilliant question!

Maybe it's when I go to a restaurant and see these parents ignoring their unruly children while they stare at their smart phones and I'm just trying to figure out what they are thinking?

Put the damn gadgets away and talk to your kids, find out what is going on with them. Kids are not stupid, they act out when they figure out their parents really don't care about them that much.

So stuff them in the back of the van, throw in a movie and ignore them and see what happens in 15 years when it's too late.
Yes but they are not your kids to be a parent to. Also you do not know what truly goes on in their every day life to assume that they are 'neglecting' or ignoring their children.

I think what disturbs me about your original post is not the video in the van bit but the fact that this parent was texting and driving! That irrates the crap out of me more than anything else.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
I was against them until I found myself on one of the ugliest, most boring stretches of two-lane blacktop in the entire country about 18 months ago. Having one would have been a nice distraction from wondering which run-down, lonley shack the serial murderer who was high on meth was going to come out of.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:30 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Yes but they are not your kids to be a parent to. Also you do not know what truly goes on in their every day life to assume that they are 'neglecting' or ignoring their children.

I think what disturbs me about your original post is not the video in the van bit but the fact that this parent was texting and driving! That irrates the crap out of me more than anything else.
Yes, texting and driving is DANGEROUS to others on the road, as well as to the driver. Half a million people are injured due to distracted driving each year. Having a video player in the mini-van is not a danger to others. Such a strange thing to care about...

Old 05-20-2012, 08:09 PM

400 posts, read 566,507 times
How to Miss a Childhood | Hands Free Mama

Sweet related blog post that I read the other day. My kids are 6, 4, and 1 and I have to really check myself on this issue. We have not had the temptation to get video in the car yet but I am tempted to check my phone at long stop lights and really have to use self control both for safety and connection reasons. I find my 6 year old thinks of the cleverist questions in the car and she actually listens to my long winded answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting