Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:09 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times

Advertisements

My daughter is similar. She is 8 and doesn't let anyone near her teeth or splinters. In general she's kind of a wimp overall and very afraid of pain. A lovable wimp. She was adopted and we know that she was hospitalized as an infant before we had her. That may or may not have anything to do with it. She also has some small sensory issues that she manages very well on her own, doesn't like loud noises, tight clothing, seatbelts, heavy blankets etc. I've always wondered if her nerve endings are simply a little more sensitive than most. It isn't a trust issue, if I can assure her that it won't hurt then she's fine, but if I tell her it will hurt a little she's very unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 06:29 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I don't get involved in my kids' loose teeth and splinters. Both work themselves and/or can be removed by the owner of the tooth/splinter. Neither of my kids (currently 11 and 9) has choked on a tooth or died from blood poisoning yet. Honestly, I probably wouldn't bother with wart treatment, either... I don't think they're terribly effective. If you're that worried about it, let her do it herself, either with the medication (you spread the petroleum jelly around the area first, and let her apply the medication and put the bandaid on) or with the duct tape. None of these issues are worth fighting over.
Nope - me either! My cousin (don't ask me why) loooves to take splinters out. So we would head straight over to her house when my son was little and got splinters. He got a LOT of splinters. I think he gave her a lot less fuss than he would have given me. Plus - I don't like digging around in someones finger, toe, etc with a needle.

Loose teeth came out on their own because he absolutely didn't want me to fool with it.

But the wart medication shouldn't cause pain. My son hated warts so bad that he would let me fool with those.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:58 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Okay, this is a really weird suggestion...

Sometimes kids respond to movies or books more than their parents. Could you write a little story or have her act out 'defeating the wart monster'. Make it an enemy you can fight together, so the enemy isn't you. I was very imaginative (but at the same time totally literal) and I totally bought into this stuff as a kid.

She might be too young for it, but there's a movie called Nanny McPhee where the character had warts that disappear over the course of the movie. It's like Mary Poppins, but a little darker (which is why she might be too young for it). You could watch it together and incorporate it in somehow.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:24 PM

400 posts, read 566,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post

Sometimes kids respond to movies or books more than their parents. Could you write a little story or have her act out 'defeating the wart monster'. Make it an enemy you can fight together, so the enemy isn't you. I was very imaginative (but at the same time totally literal) and I totally bought into this stuff as a kid.

She might be too young for it, but there's a movie called Nanny McPhee where the character had warts that disappear over the course of the movie. It's like Mary Poppins, but a little darker (which is why she might be too young for it). You could watch it together and incorporate it in somehow.
haha, very cute suggestion. I actually did something like this when the kids had lice and I had to continually pick through their hair. I don't know about the specific movie you mentioned just because my sensitive little girl is also very embarrassed that she has one and doesn't like anyone talking, looking, or thinking about it. But I will try that angle. Thanks

Old 05-24-2012, 06:34 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post

I didn't post how my son got rid of his warts cause I didn't want to be told that would never work, but my son's imagination is what finally got rid of them. He had a horrible time w/warts when he was younger. His right hand thumb was covered in them and the dermatologist wanted to do surgery. My husband agreed w/dr. I refused, there was no way I was having surgery on his right hand for warts. I researched and found Dr. Andrew Weil's website. I don't agree with everything Dr. Weil says but what he said about warts worked for my son.
Because children have such great imaginations he states to have a favorite character "defeat the warts" so every night before bed he would imagine the power rangers defeating the warts. He was 7 or 8 at the time. It worked! After a few weeks ALL of his warts were gone.
It worked for him, he was very into his imagination at that time. It doesn't cost a thing and may work for your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting