Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:39 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times

Advertisements

First things first...why were a bunch of 10 year old boys watching Titanic in 3D? Seriously, odd choice of movie for 10 year old boys.

So, what age would I let my kids go to the movies by themselves? I guess that depends on the movie, who else they were going with and what time of day it was. I would probably say around 10 is OK assuming they are going with a couple friends and it was a movie they actually wanted to see. I would also be more apt to let them go if it was a morning or afternoon show which tend to be less crowded. By around 13/14 I think I would be fine with letting them go whenever they wanted.

Personally, I went to movies by myself with a couple friends or my cousin as young as 8 or 9. Our parents would see one movie, we'd see another. I remember one time when a friend and I were 15 or so that we got dropped off to see "Bordello of Blood". The person selling tickets was actually doing their job and wouldn't sell us tickets. Dejected, we called my friends mom for a ride. Since she hadn't planned on picking us up for a couple hours, she goes, "Listen find a movie playing around the same time as the one you want to see that you CAN buy tickets to. Go into that movie and then sneak into the one you want to see." We can do that? Really? We were such rebels, lol.

As for the phone/text thing it annoys the HELL out of me. I think there is a bit of a generational/age divide with it though. I'm 31 (almost 32) and find that people around my age still believe to an extent in theater etiquette. Maybe because we grew up at a time we weren't plugged into the internet and reachable by anyone and everyone 24/7...we aren't scared to turn our phones off. However, people just a few years younger who grew up with cell phones and texting seem to have the greatest attachment. I've actually taken a phone away from a younger friend of mine while watching a movie...."BUT BUT BUT what if someone NEEDS ME??????"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:50 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Because of the light is distracting. It draws the eye instantly, just as if you suddenly flicked on a flashlight in front of me. I care because it directly affects my movie going experience.

The better question is why don't you are about the people sitting around you who paid to watch a movie, not your phone? Selfish, much?

If an EMT can put his phone on vibrate and step out to take calls about actual emergencies, you can do the same.
I wasn't talking about me specifically.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know and don't care but if they think they are so important they must be reachable by phone 24/7 they can step out into the hall to deal with the urgent messages they get throught the movie asking them what's up and do they wanna hang later.

If you can't be out of contact for 90 minutues your life is a mess and you shouldn't be in a theater. Period.
You never really know what will happen. Have you never had an unanticipated emergency?

Old 05-24-2012, 12:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
"BUT BUT BUT what if someone NEEDS ME??????"
Great post, Goat!

I've heard that as well. I had no idea so many people were carrying around the football with the nuclear codes.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
I think my kids went to the movies unsupervised (with a couple of friends to a matinee or early show) in 5th/6th grade. I didn't have any reason to think they would be ill behaved but we also were careful about the movies and the showtimes understanding that certain times/movies are more apt to be filled with preteens/young teens and other moviegoers could plan accordingly.

Texting and moviewatching? Please don't. It's extremely annoying to others in the theater. As others have mentioned. Phone on vibrate then leave to respond. You'd think no one ever had emergencies prior to cell phones....

Old 05-24-2012, 01:34 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Great post, Goat!

I've heard that as well. I had no idea so many people were carrying around the football with the nuclear codes.
Sersiously. The person who "needed" him right then and there was his girlfriend. She was at work and was bored and "needed" someone to talk to.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:48 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You never really know what will happen. Have you never had an unanticipated emergency?
So STEP OUT. Instead of distracting everyone around you and making them miss parts of the movie, get out and check your phone in the hall. That way the only person who misses part of the movie is you.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
How do you know what someone else's text message will contain?
We got along fine at a two hour movie before there were cell phones. You don't have to be constantly connected to your umbilical cell.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
We got along fine at a two hour movie before there were cell phones. You don't have to be constantly connected to your umbilical cell.
A two hour movie. Some cartoons. And ANOTHER two hour movie.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I wasn't talking about me personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting