Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do if you saw a child being abused
Say something to parents 8 53.33%
Walk away 1 6.67%
call police 4 26.67%
other (will comment) 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,086,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Your specific example?
I probably would NOT say something.
Why?

You do not know the circumstances.

The mom could have battled for quite some time with the child to keep his shoes on. You even say that the friend noted that they boy would not put them on. Having him walk on the asphalt for a short time is a sure-fire way to guarantee that he WILL put them on next time.

Also, being confrontational is NOT the way to handle it. Being helpful instead of judgmental, as AnnaNomus notes above, would be MUCH better!
No circumstance warrants allowing a 2 year old to burn the skin off the bottom of their feet.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Your specific example?
I probably would NOT say something.
Why?

You do not know the circumstances.

The mom could have battled for quite some time with the child to keep his shoes on. You even say that the friend noted that they boy would not put them on. Having him walk on the asphalt for a short time is a sure-fire way to guarantee that he WILL put them on next time.

Also, being confrontational is NOT the way to handle it. Being helpful instead of judgmental, as AnnaNomus notes above, would be MUCH better!
Since when did a parent not have the ability to get shoes on a young child o.O?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Sometimes people are just ignorant. And they can't help it. So sometimes, the best approach might be a nice one. If the person feels insulted, embarassed, or threatened, it's just going to make them angrier. It may be a way for you to express your opinion, but it probably wouldn't help the child much, because the parent would be busy arguing with you instead of helping the baby. Saying nicely "Excuse me, but the blacktop is smoking hot, and his feet are burning. Do you need help carrying something so you can carry the baby?" may have been more effective than saying what you, and probably anyone, really thought. The fact that the friend offered to put shoes on the baby showed that at least someone was open to listening.

Not that I don't agree with you. I know how hot blacktop gets in the sun. It can actually cause burns, and I can't imagine how painful that must have been on little baby feet! I just think that there are times when the message you are trying to give is more important than expressing your frustration and disgust. People usually don't want to hear that, and in cases where children are being mistreated, it is more important that they hear what you are saying.

ETA: I misread your post. You said the friend said he wouldn't put on shoes, offering an excuse, not offering to help. In that case, I probably would have just said, "I bet he wants to put them on now. If you get them, I can help him get them on," or something along those lines. NOT that I would have really felt that friendly, and NOT that I wouldn't have been calling the woman all kinds of dumb ******* when I got back in my car, but my main focus would have been helping the little boy out of a painful situation.
This sounds like the right way to handle it to me - the best way to handle these sort of situations is to allow the other person "an out" even if you don't think that they deserve it.

Quote:
When you see a child being mistreated what do you do? Do you say something to the parents call the police/cps or just turn the other cheek?

THis past Saturday my bff and I took our kids to the local beach. Well as we were leaving I heard a child crying so I looked up and this little boy couldnt have been more then 2 was walking alongside his mom on the blacktop with no shoes on. It was over 90 degrees. . SO as the little boy was crying his mom yelled at him to shut up.

Well My anger got the best of me and I yelled at her and told her I should make her walk on the blacktop with no shoes on. Well she ignored me but her friend behind her said he wouldnt put on his shoes. I said well either you MAKE him or carry him smh DUH!

Well things got a bit escalated and I ended up just leaving because they were getting weapons involved (typical Ohio guys pull out guns in a chick fight )

This sounds like the wrong way to handle things. I've been to Ohio and I don't think it's "typical" for guys to pull guns over a disagreement in parenting styles. You might want to consider how you are interacting with people if this is a common occurance for you, IMO. Esp if you have your own child with you at the time.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 AM

22,593 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
No circumstance warrants allowing a 2 year old to burn the skin off the bottom of their feet.
So there is evidence that skin was burned off the bottoms of their feet?
Oh in THAT case, yes, call the police!

I had no idea it was THAT awful!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
So there is evidence that skin was burned off the bottoms of their feet?
Oh in THAT case, yes, call the police!

I had no idea it was THAT awful!
So, I suppose you have never walked on a hot tar road barefoot.
A 2 year olds feet are much more tender than an adults...so yes...it is THAT awful!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 AM

Assumption wrong!
Actually I walk on hot asphalt every summer day when I go get the mail - I dislike wearing shoes.

IF skin was burned of the bottoms of the feet, the police should be called.
If the kid was walking a short distance and got to see why mom wanted the shoes on, that's different.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Assumption wrong!
Actually I walk on hot asphalt every summer day when I go get the mail - I dislike wearing shoes.

IF skin was burned of the bottoms of the feet, the police should be called.
If the kid was walking a short distance and got to see why mom wanted the shoes on, that's different.
As I said...your feet and the feet of a 2 year old....much different.
Of course, you can't teach someone how to be a good parent, and I hope this child doesn't end up a statistic.
Going by what OP said the Mother said to the child...DSS to be called on her.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post

Going by what OP said the Mother said to the child...DSS to be called on her.
Agreed!

Old 06-11-2012, 12:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Well things got a bit escalated and I ended up just leaving because they were getting weapons involved (typical Ohio guys pull out guns in a chick fight )
I'm not thrilled that this child was on hot asphalt in bare feet. But.....

The fact that this child was in a situation where GUNS were being pulled out bothers me enormously!

(Everyone is focusing on his foot wear when the people he is with are pulling weapons? )

Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm not thrilled that this child was on hot asphalt in bare feet. But.....

The fact that this child was in a situation where GUNS were being pulled out bothers me enormously!

(Everyone is focusing on his foot wear when the people he is with are pulling weapons? )
I noticed. The OP made this sound like no big deal, just a typical weekend, so I figured I'd ignore the whole thread becasue I can't relate to anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting