Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It might be a choice one makes to avoid poverty but it is still a choice.
Ah, come on.

Is that really a choice then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I'm mature when it's required.
Maturity is not something you turn on or off. Either you are mature or you're not.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ah, come on.

Is that really a choice then?
There are plenty of folks who make choices that keep them in poverty when there are other options. Lots of people refuse to move out of bad situations when there are other options because they want to stay close to family, or some other personal reason.

I find it difficult to believe that the vast majority of people MUST live where they are currently living and there are NO OTHER OPTIONS in the entire world that would work for them. For the most part where we live is a choice. Sometimes we make choices by defaulting into our current situation but that does not make it less of a choice.

Even when people say they "can't" move because they are underwater on their house, they can move. They may choose not to do it because they want to avoid foreclosure/short sale or they don't want to bring cash to the table when they sell their house. That is still a choice. Plenty of people choose to allow their home to go into foreclosure. Just because a choice is unpalatable that does not make it less of a choice.

Driving is not required. There are plenty of people who do not drive. They may not live where you live (or where I live) but they do exist and not driving is a choice they make.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:47 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
There are plenty of folks who make choices that keep them in poverty when there are other options. Lots of people refuse to move out of bad situations when there are other options because they want to stay close to family, or some other personal reason.

I find it difficult to believe that the vast majority of people MUST live where they are currently living and there are NO OTHER OPTIONS in the entire world that would work for them. For the most part where we live is a choice. Sometimes we make choices by defaulting into our current situation but that does not make it less of a choice.

Even when people say they "can't" move because they are underwater on their house, they can move. They may choose not to do it because they want to avoid foreclosure/short sale or they don't want to bring cash to the table when they sell their house. That is still a choice. Plenty of people choose to allow their home to go into foreclosure. Just because a choice is unpalatable that does not make it less of a choice.

Driving is not required. There are plenty of people who do not drive. They may not live where you live (or where I live) but they do exist and not driving is a choice they make.

What is "required" is dependent on what an individual values. You don't value the things that would require driving to achieve them. It is all about what your goals are.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:

We will have to agree to disagree.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We will have to agree to disagree.
On what? Almost everything surrounding a family's place of residence involves a choice. If a person chooses to live where they are currently living because it provides a better standard of living that is a choice. If they must drive in the city where they choose to make a living then driving is a by product of the choice to live there.

There is very little in our lives that does not boil down to a choice we made. There are some things that just happen to people like the situation into which they are born, medical problems, etc....but most of what we do in our lives is a choice. Some choices are absolutely unpalatable but that does not mean they are not choices.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What is "required" is dependent on what an individual values. You don't value the things that would require driving to achieve them. It is all about what your goals are.
This conversation is not about me or what I value.You are projecting something onto me that does not exist.

The truth is that there are some places where driving is required and others where it is not. We CHOOSE where we live. If someone does not want to drive they can choose to live somewhere that they do not have to drive. If they choose a place where driving is necessary then it is a choice that they made to live somewhere that driving is necessary. Driving is not an absolute need.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
This conversation is not about me or what I value.You are projecting something onto me that does not exist.

The truth is that there are some places where driving is required and others where it is not. We CHOOSE where we live. If someone does not want to drive they can choose to live somewhere that they do not have to drive. If they choose a place where driving is necessary then it is a choice that they made to live somewhere that driving is necessary. Driving is not an absolute need.

My point is that that choice has many possibly conflicting priorities. It is not a don't want to drive, don't live there choice that you make it out to be. Life is like that.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:

I'm guessing you aren't familiar with employers who are based in the middle of nowhere because what they do/produce cannot be put anywhere near a population center. People who work for them have to drive to get to their jobs. (Employers tend not to provide mass transit to those work sites because it cuts down on their profits.)

Old 06-20-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
My point is that that choice has many possibly conflicting priorities. It is not a don't want to drive, don't live there choice that you make it out to be. Life is like that.
Of course there are many factors that go into making a choice. But its still a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting