Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

It Gets Better - PFLAG Mom Talks About Coming Out.avi - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 02:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I would want to hear it in person, just so I could throw my arms around my child and assure them it didn't matter one whit.
But, if you are uncertain of the reception you will get, then do whatever you are comfortable with.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I would want to hear it in person, just so I could throw my arms around my child and assure them it didn't matter one whit.
But, if you are uncertain of the reception you will get, then do whatever you are comfortable with.
Agreed.

I would also suggest having a friend either go with you, or wait close by should you need them.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:45 AM

8 posts, read 9,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiana View Post
I'm 26, a lesbian, and have not come out to my parents, although there have been some subtle and not-so-subtle signs for years that I may be homosexual. In a recent phone convo with mom, she said "...because when you meet a special person, I don't want you to take them for granted".

When she said that, shivers went up my spine and I had to get off the phone. I've struggled with my sexuality for years, developed panic and anxiety disorders, and been depressed. I feel the only way out of ths suffering is to come out to the people I love most... But I'm scared.

The most hurtful aspect of al this is that I feel I'd be a disappointment not because of something I did, but because of who i am. Something intrinsic, that could never be changed. The thought that I may be seen as a disappointment or not looked at the same by my parents is what I find so nerve wracking.

Does my mom know?
In the absence of information we make stuff up, i.e., we inadvertently fill in the blanks of what is left unsaid.

From what you've written above it seems to me that your mother definitely suspects or knows that you're gay but is allowing you the time and space for you to literally come out and define yourself. The evidence is in her use of the pronouns in her sentence: "...because when you meet a special person, I don't want you to take them for granted". If those pronouns are exactly what she used, IMHO, she totally suspects (NOT in a negative way) that you are gay. Sounds like you have a very loving, sensitive to your feelings, mom.

I have not yet read any of the replies to your question, BTW. This is just my initial reaction to your first post.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:54 AM

8 posts, read 9,172 times
Regarding coming out in a letter vs in person: I agree with the other posters. Do not deny your mom's opportunity to throw her arms around you and hug you as she reassures you that #1, she loves you and #2, that will never change. Maybe a #3: why did you wait so long to tell her?

Old 06-23-2012, 09:17 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiana View Post
Thanks from the advice guys. I write a letter or tell her in person?
From the mother of a gay girl, definitely in person.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
To the OP -- yes your mother may sense that you are gay, and face-to-face is better but still brace yourself because it may not be quite the joyous moment for your mother as it is for other mothers. She may cry, she may try to talk you out of it, she may not hide her disappointment. Just be ready in case. I work with this very liberal woman whose husband is also very liberal and it's as though they've written off their son. This couple puts on a show that they are the most tolerant and open minded of anyone -- until it came to their own son. It can go the other way -- one co-worker fretted and fretted over coming out to her mother and grandmother and she had to reach down and find strength but it was an anticlimatic moment because they just shrugged because they already knew.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Somehow or other, I don't see the need to "come out." Perhaps I feel that way because I come from a time when it was not unusual for the same sex couple to live together. Think about the "old maid school teachers," "bachelor farmers," etc. Many liived together to save money, but I am sure that many were also a sexual union.

So...what is so wrong with just telling the world that you just are not attacked to the opposite sex? Why does someone have to declare that they enjoy the friendship of the same sex as a sexual thing?

The magic word may be FRIENDS. First, be honest and admit that you enjoy the friendship and company of the same sex. It's no one's business but yours if the relationship goes to a different level. The usual male/female couple doesn't have to openly declare that they have sex, why should a lesbian or gay couple have to declare to the world that they bed down together?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:19 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Somehow or other, I don't see the need to "come out." Perhaps I feel that way because I come from a time when it was not unusual for the same sex couple to live together. Think about the "old maid school teachers," "bachelor farmers," etc. Many liived together to save money, but I am sure that many were also a sexual union.

So...what is so wrong with just telling the world that you just are not attacked to the opposite sex? Why does someone have to declare that they enjoy the friendship of the same sex as a sexual thing?

The magic word may be FRIENDS. First, be honest and admit that you enjoy the friendship and company of the same sex. It's no one's business but yours if the relationship goes to a different level. The usual male/female couple doesn't have to openly declare that they have sex, why should a lesbian or gay couple have to declare to the world that they bed down together?
Yes, and if everyone follows this advice, it will be so much easier to enforce existing and set up new laws against homosexuality. If everyone stays in the closet, then we can rule them through fear, extortion and shame. Great idea! (insert sarcasm alert here)

Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

Some people do not wish to live in the closet their entire lives. They wish to be recognized as the equal parent of children, they wish to include their partner in family gatherings, they wish to make medical decisions for their partner, they wish to attend school events as a parent, they wish to be able to do all the things heterosexual couples take for granted, and without having to call their life partner a "friend".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting