Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:57 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,358 times

Advertisements

I think we're done having kids and I'm looking for some advise on birth control. I have the basic "facts" covered. I'm looking for personal experiences. We aren't quite ready for the big "V", but the side effects of the pill are getting old. I'm considering the Mirena IUC. I've just started my research. I've never had regular periods, so the rhythem method is not an option. I'd just like to hear from some other Moms on this one! Also, health insurance isn't great so info. on cost would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 04:38 PM

57 posts, read 167,555 times
Do not get the IUD,way to many side effects,I wasn't able to take the pill's,I have tride almost all of them,but I guess my body just don't like them,So after our 5th child,hubby went and got fixed,and I am telling you its a Great thing

Old 09-27-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorraine1 View Post
Do not get the IUD,way to many side effects,I wasn't able to take the pill's,I have tride almost all of them,but I guess my body just don't like them,So after our 5th child,hubby went and got fixed,and I am telling you its a Great thing
What kind of side effects? Did you have it personally?

Old 09-27-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
What kind of side effects? Did you have it personally?
with the IUD I got 2 infection and had to have it remove,as for the pills,they made me sick and my periods were always off,I would get real bad cramps from them,if you want to be on the pill talk with your Dr,they can do blood test to see which one works,oh and the 3 month shot sucks,everyone that has had it including myself had all the side effects,there are female birth control that you can buy over the counter that you only use when you are about to have sex,they work and no side effects,you should check those out,

Old 09-27-2007, 05:07 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
I can't believe I'm discussing this on the internet, but here goes-the diaphragm. Simple to use, cheap and no side effects. Been using for nearly four years, youngest child is 4 so it clearly works, lol.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorraine1 View Post
there are female birth control that you can buy over the counter that you only use when you are about to have sex,they work and no side effects,you should check those out,
Like a sponge or something?

Old 09-27-2007, 05:26 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
An IUD does sound perfect for your scenario (we are in the same boat here, 99% sure we are done but DH is not yet ready for the big "V"). I was going to try either a copper IUD (no hormones) or Mirena (releases hormones to the uterine lining). Unfortunately, my insurance will not pay for either. Mirena was about $600 plus insertion fee last year when I researched it. There were payment plans available, but I am not keen on paying so much when my minipills only have a $5 copay. I hate the hormone aspect of the pills but $5/month versus the $600... The best option of all for me is to convince DH to go through with the vasectomy

(Added note: I am somewhat limited in my birth control options because I'm still nursing my little one. I am afraid to try the diaphragm because it has a pretty high failure rate from the stats I have seen and I am extremely fertile)

Old 09-27-2007, 05:35 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
Ok here is another one of those I can't believe I am asking this on the internet: for the diaphragm do you put spermicide in it? Will it lessen the failure rate? Or do u use it in combination with other methods such as condoms?

Old 09-27-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
Like a sponge or something?
yes,there is a pill well it looks like a pill that you can use,it goes in just like a tampon,and the man won't even noticed it,

Old 09-27-2007, 08:34 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
The best thing for you to do is to schedule an appointment with your gynecologist for yourself AND your husband. Discuss your options (your gynecologist should be well versed in your medical history and can make recommendations for you based on that) and then make a decision together, based on what you want in terms of never having any more kids, maybe having more kids or don't think you do but don't want to close the door either. There are risks and side effects with any method you choose except for abstinance, rythym (NFP) or barrier methods (condom). Your physician will best be able to tell which would be a good match for you knowing you and your health history.

For my 2 cents...I think unless you are absolutely sure you don't want any more children you should stay away from any type of birth control method that can alter your fertility...IUD's can cause uterine damage and make pregnancy difficult or impossible. There are other methods that are better if you may want more later on. Also if your insurance won't cover you public clinics and Planned Parenthood type places often can assist you on a sliding scale making it more affordable. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting