Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:36 AM

652 posts, read 874,362 times

Advertisements

Yes, of course, flips and tumbling for kids are a must. As a child when I knew of kids who had the big trampolines, I always found my way to their backyard to jump. I would suggest big pads surrounding the trampoline for the unskilled jumper. Often times a few launches off the trampoline quickly make the jumper realize their limits. Every child should experience the big jumping trampolines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 12:07 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The dad should've led by example and jumped on it himself. To heck with the kids - youth is wasted on the young, afterall.

-She who loves jumping on trampolines even at age 53-

Old 04-06-2015, 03:13 PM

309 posts, read 258,268 times
And that is one reason the rest of the world does not like Americans. Sue-happy weaklings, trying to grow their children in a sterilized cage.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:45 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Not a fan of backyard trampolines, because I broke my leg when I was about ten using one. Plus, my oldest child knocked out his two front teeth after colliding with another child in a bouncy house at an elementary school birthday party. I do understand the appeal of trampolines, though, so I enrolled my kids in gymnastics classes where they used them with proper supervision.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:16 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
This recently opened in our area: http://www.skyzone.com/scranton/Home.aspx

Our kids love it. Of course there was a recent news story about injuries occurring there. *shrug* You're jumping around and doing flips (which are allowed per the rules) there is a chance you are going to get hurt. Part of life.

If we had a bigger backyard I'd get a trampoline for the house.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I haven't read the thread, but I'll just say this: My dad always called trampolines Arm Breakers. He'd see a new one the day after Christmas in someone's backyard and he'd say, "Oh, I see they bought their kids an Arm Breaker for Christmas. What fun for everyone!"

Old 04-07-2015, 10:50 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I haven't read the thread, but I'll just say this: My dad always called trampolines Arm Breakers. He'd see a new one the day after Christmas in someone's backyard and he'd say, "Oh, I see they bought their kids an Arm Breaker for Christmas. What fun for everyone!"
I broke my arm riding a bike. A friend of mine broke hers walking a dog. Things happen.

I know your dad was being silly. I'm just saying, for the purposes of this thread, possibility of injury isn't a great reason to not engage in something fun IMO.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:59 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I think it's fine that some families enjoy trampolines, but it was not for us. I vividly remember that broken leg, and while lots of childhood experiences come with risk of injury, backyard trampolines exceeded my risk threshold. YMMV.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I broke my arm riding a bike. A friend of mine broke hers walking a dog. Things happen.

I know your dad was being silly. I'm just saying, for the purposes of this thread, possibility of injury isn't a great reason to not engage in something fun IMO.
Yes, he was just being silly.

I broke my arm jumping off the front porch in the rain when I was 12! No trampoline required!

Old 04-07-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I think it's fine that some families enjoy trampolines, but it was not for us. I vividly remember that broken leg, and while lots of childhood experiences come with risk of injury, backyard trampolines exceeded my risk threshold. YMMV.
Heaven forbid that I would take some sort of moral position on trampolines, considering each family and each child within each family is so different.

That being said, knowing my children, I decided against trampolines, and have no regrets. Mine managed to end up in the ER on a fairly regular basis without the added drama of a trampoline. I can only imagine the ER bills if we'd had one. Heck, I ended up taking my son to the ER once when he hurt himself on someone ELSE'S trampoline!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting