Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:06 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times

Advertisements

What is your approach with your children regarding firearms? Do you avoid it altogether by not owning firearms? Do you own them and keep them out of sight and mind? Or do you encourage interest and teach responsible use of firearms?

I ask this because there is currently a thread in the relationships forum in which women are asked if a guy owning a gun would be a deal breaker. If you are interested that thread is here:

Any women here with partners, that dislike that he owns gun/s?

(Please excuse the portion of the thread in which one poster decided that he would make it all about himself and not the topic at hand. There is some good dialogue in this thread.)

I also ask because I am an avid gun enthusiast and I have small children. It is already too late to take the "out of sight out of mind" approach, my kids already know I have them. In fact, they were with me when I bought a few of them. My approach is that if they are curious, all they need to do is ask and I will show them the gun (after it has been checked and cleared) and allow them to see and handle it up close and in an environment in which I am in control. They have asked a few times and I always let them see and touch. My mindset is that you cannot tell kids, "Don't ever touch that." Then the first chance they get, they are going to satisfy their curiosity but will not have had any supervised training. This is how gun accidents happen. Why not let them satisfy their curiosity in a controlled setting? I supervise, they learn. And they also learn not to fool around with a weapon without me or their mother supervising. (God forbid that I ever leave a weapon laying around for them to find. I am careful, but nobody is infallible.)

What are your thoughts on this subject?

Last edited by iknowftbll; 07-30-2012 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 10:17 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Personally, I hate the gun culture in this country. I didn't grow up in a house that contained them, and my husband and I don't own any. I have never, ever felt unsafe and wished I was armed for protection.

But, I understand not everybody shares my views. I understand not everybody is fortunate enough to live in safe areas, and some people really do need a method of protection. I understand people hunt to feed their families.

I guess under the circumstances, you intend to keep your guns, so I would hope you have a locking gun safe. I would never trust a child with a gun, no matter how much you attempt to demystify them and how many times you tell them they may not touch one without your supervision. The onus is on you, not the child.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:47 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,571 times
We don't own guns. I would like to, but my husband is dead against having guns in the house at least until our daughter is an adult. He isn't anti-gun per se and even has fun shooting, but just doesn't think it is safe to have a gun in the house with kids.

I believe my daughter had an NRA gun safety person come to her kindergarten class and explain firearm rules, mainly 'don't touch and get an adult'. They will probably be back most years in elementary school here.

My sister and BIL are absolute gun nuts, so she'll have some exposure to them when she goes to visit them in her tween years.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:25 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
My kids have both handled my guns. They shoot airsoft (plastic BB guns) in the garage. My oldest started going to the range with us when she was 9. She can load and shoot a handgun.

We don't keep our guns locked up. My husband's gun is usually in his duty belt on the floor on his side of the bed. My gun-loaded and with a round in the chamber-is where I can grab it within 30 seconds. My kids are used to seeing hubby or me answer the door or check out odd noises with a gun in our hands. We have an emergency plan for the kids and hubby and I have practiced what we would do if someone was breaking in, so that we each know which area we will be responsible for. (Although both times someone has tried to break in when we were there, I was home alone with the kids.)

I've thought about buying a gun safe, but that's mostly so that no one breaks in while we're not home and steals our guns. I would never keep all the guns in the safe, you just don't have that much time to get your weapon when someone is breaking in.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:47 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
Personaly I would trust my daughter around guns if we had any. I know her, another child might be a diffrent situation.

If I lived in America I probably would have a gun or two. I grew up with guns, like shooting, no interest in hunting, had my first 22 when I was ten.

That said I am glad I live where not every nutter is armed to the teeth.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:24 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Thank you for the responses so far. I think it is important to add that my kids are small enough that they do not have friends over without their friends' parents too. With that said, as they get bigger, I am going to be adamant about them not talking about or trying to show our firearms to their friends. Unless of course, I have been given permission by their parents. In that case, I'll show them not my kids. My point being that I see no need for them to become the centerpiece of a discussion between children unless approved by both sets of parents and conducted in a supervised and controlled setting.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Thank you for the responses so far. I think it is important to add that my kids are small enough that they do not have friends over without their friends' parents too. With that said, as they get bigger, I am going to be adamant about them not talking about or trying to show our firearms to their friends. Unless of course, I have been given permission by their parents. In that case, I'll show them not my kids. My point being that I see no need for them to become the centerpiece of a discussion between children unless approved by both sets of parents and conducted in a supervised and controlled setting.
Good luck with that. Our son's good friend was Head of Security for Six Flags in Atlanta years ago. Our families were friends and social too. They had gun cabinets and I knew this man took his son hunting and shooting and I thought the boy had good lessons on how to handle a gun and safety but years later my son told me the kid would routinely unlock the cabinet (father did very little to hide the key) and the boys would get the guns out and "play" with them. On occasion the kid even took the gun to school to brag and show off to his friends. Boys especially like to show off guns to their friends so be very diligent.

When we had kids I made my husband get rid of any guns. My Infantry Expert Army Officer Dad had a scrapbook of "I didn't know the gun was loaded" articles. I made a big impression on me.

And how incredibly sad to have to live in such fear that your kids see you routinely have a gun in your hand when you answer the door. I can't even imagine living like that.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:56 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,789 times
I have 2 hand guns. As soon as my DD is old enough I plan on teaching her about guns so that she is not afraid and also to curb any curiosity she may have about them.

Right now they are in my closet but I ordered a touch lock safe and im waiting for it to come in the mail.

Im a single mom in a not so great city, so I will do whatever it takes to defend my life and the life of my daughter.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:20 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
I think it depends partly on why a person has guns... I would be okay with it as a hobby (hunting or target shooting), as long as they are properly locked up with ammo separate. (I would love to get in to target shooting as a hobby, but it's just too expensive for me). I'm not as okay with it for situations where they need to be within reach and loaded (home protection), since I have a curious toddler that loves to get in to things.
Either way, I strongly feel that if there are guns in the home, then everyone living there should have adequate training in gun safety... including children (that are old enough).
I talk to my 6 year old about guns frequently. Even though I don't have any, she doesn't live in a bubble either. I want her to know what do to if she encounters one at a friend's house or in case a kid sneaks one to school.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
We don't own guns. I would like to, but my husband is dead against having guns in the house at least until our daughter is an adult. He isn't anti-gun per se and even has fun shooting, but just doesn't think it is safe to have a gun in the house with kids.
We have had the same philosophy. I am worried about having guns in the house with kids. I am not anti gun but since neither one of us is a gun expert I am worried about having guns around. My husband has taken our older boys (16, 18) to the range to shoot with a friend who does own guns.

Our older son has expressed an interest in buying a gun when he has the money. He likes to go to the gun range and shoot and right now he is dependent on having a friend that owns a gun. We are leaning towards letting him keep it here as long as he keeps it in our safe. The kids do not have the combination to the safe. The younger boys are not yet adults but I think they have enough respect for guns that we can keep one in the house but the idea still makes me nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting