Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:27 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times

Advertisements

with arms in my house?? or hands. How come I am the only person that can put things away in the house. If I bring things downstairs, how come my two sons or dh cannot put them away, but yet their things are always magically put away.

How come there is not one couch or table in the house that has things on it but none of them are mine but yet I am the only one that can put it away??

Any other mothers have this problem and how do you deal with it?
Yes, I just read the kids the riot act ; I am tired.

dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 02:29 PM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,511 times
I feel your pain !

Are you living in my house ??

You are not alone !

Old 10-03-2007, 04:21 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
with arms in my house?? or hands. How come I am the only person that can put things away in the house. If I bring things downstairs, how come my two sons or dh cannot put them away, but yet their things are always magically put away.

How come there is not one couch or table in the house that has things on it but none of them are mine but yet I am the only one that can put it away??

Any other mothers have this problem and how do you deal with it?
Yes, I just read the kids the riot act ; I am tired.

dorothy
I would take the things that are left out. Seriously. Lock them in a box (or hide them where they can't get them) and they can earn them back by helping you clean. If they realize you won't be their maid and will keep their stuff, that might help them remember

Old 10-03-2007, 05:02 PM

57 posts, read 167,555 times
Do what I did and go on strike,
I am telling you between the kids and hubby you think a plate or a cup would make it into the sink,and don't get me started on cloths omg,by the way I hate laundry really really hate it,
I went on strike for a week,it worked,they do help out more now and if things start to go back to the way it was I just say hmmmmm I think I will take another week or two off,hehehehe,gets them everytime,

Old 10-03-2007, 07:30 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Why should they put them away if you will do it?!

(But I know it's hard to let things like that pile up and not do anything about it.)

Old 10-03-2007, 08:06 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,883 times
Ohhh I know how you feel but its DH who makes me crazy (I know he works hard and I allways thank him for that,) but it makes me nuts when after he watches me clean, bring up grocries or take out trash ,and when I am clearly done , he asks do you need help??

Old 10-03-2007, 08:14 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,052 times
Give them some responsibility. If you see things lying on the table that belong to them, tell them to PICK IT UP. You need to put your foot down and make them responsible for cleaning up behind themselves. If you don't start now, then you can look forward to a future of playing housemaid!

Old 10-04-2007, 11:59 AM

224 posts, read 777,636 times
I am with you guys. My son is finally getting better about putting his things away, probably he's tired of listening to mom rant and rave about it. My daughter is 3, when I ask her to pick something up or put something away she has the greatest response, "I'm too little to do that" She's lucky she's so darn cute.

I do wish I'd get more help around the house from my husband too. I feel like sometimes I'm the only one who is able to wash a dish.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:17 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
Ohhh I know how you feel but its DH who makes me crazy (I know he works hard and I allways thank him for that,) but it makes me nuts when after he watches me clean, bring up grocries or take out trash ,and when I am clearly done , he asks do you need help??
Oh man my hubby is totally the king of this. He will sit in his lazy boy (so mad I ever got him that chair) and watch me kill myself picking up, dusting, cleaning etc.... then as soon as I am about done he decides to stir himself to ask if I need help. Oh i could strangle him sometimes.

A couple of weeks ago, I asked him to clean up the kitchen. I had made an elaborate dinner and had tons of dishes I just didn't want to wash. I made a point of asking him to do it not the kids and so he hollers for our boys to come do it (which of course means I need to go behind them and rewash the dishes). Arghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! Don't even get me started.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:10 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
If the kids get allowances, you can give them until a certain time to pick up their mess. Tell them that if you have to pick it up after that time, you're happy to do it for them but it's going to cost them and take it out of their next allowance. If they are going to treat you like a maid, they'll pay for it. You can do the same thing with clothes - you do laundry on Saturday, and all laundry needs to be in the laundry room by 9:00 am on Saturday morning (for example). At 9:01, you are going to go through the house to see if there is any laundry that didn't make it, and you charge the owner a nickel or a dime for each item you have to pick up. At worst, you're still doing what you're doing now but you're getting paid for it. At best, you're teaching your kids that it's expensive to pay other people to do your work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting