Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Call me the wet blanket but I'm not buying this. Sounds like backpedaling to me. This is what you wrote:

You didn't say your daughters asked you who it was, why the person was on a shirt, etc. I've heard kids many times in a store saying "Mom, who's this?" on a shirt. If their comments made another woman look "puzzled" (your word) then they said it in a tone that was judgmental. You sounded proud of the fact that the other customer put the clothing back based on what your kids said. You threw out that you have a marketing degree to show us all that you know how this all works and that you won't fall into the trap of buying licensed stuff because of that. That is a far cry from saying that Hannah Montana in particular was offensive to you.

OK Cleasach...Here is what really happened. We entered the store hell bent on destroying anybody who wanted to purchase anything with a picture on it...anything...Mickey Mouse, Cleopatra, Incredible Hulk, Miley Cyrus. At our house we HATE pictures.

We were armed with zip ties to better capture our "enemies" and we carried walkie talkies so we could better coordinate our mission. When one daughter found a shopper gathering up cheap Hannah Montana shirts we descended upon her with vengeance. One girl tried to rip the clothing out of her arms while the other kicked her relentlessly in the shins. I filmed it all on my phone to download on my facebook page.

What? You haven't seen it? Happy? Seems like this is what your have in your mind.

Actually it is the bit about my education that has your riled isn't it. I only mentioned my MBA to emphasize I might have a better and deeper understanding of what marketing strategies are used to hook us into a certain label and I try to take advantage of my education when teaching my children. But here is the truth...I'm a second grade drop out with no teeth and I still wear a diaper. I hire a ghost writer to write my posts and my grocery lists. Now you have the real me. Happy? I doubt it.

This is my last post on this subject. You surely do have a bee in your bonnet about something and I hope you take care of it soon as you come across as a very resentful person.

Now if anybody else would like to contribute to the discussion about back to school shopping I would like to hear what you have to say. Sounds like most of us are not the ones shopping in the big crowds and long lines and wait till certain items are needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 06:43 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
Uniforms for school and he still needs clothes for AFTER school. At 20$ a pair just for uniform pants, I am cringing at what I am going to spend on clothes today when we start his shopping trip

Old 08-14-2012, 06:57 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
We are thrift store shoppers, love the hunt.

An FYI, all the thrift and consignment stores around here have loads of school and scout uniforms for a fraction of the cost.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Uniforms for school and he still needs clothes for AFTER school. At 20$ a pair just for uniform pants, I am cringing at what I am going to spend on clothes today when we start his shopping trip
Old navy has uniform pants for far less than that. Ten bucks for pants, five for polos.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:55 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
My kids get an annual clothing budget of $800. $300 when school starts and then I put $10/week into an envelope for them to go shopping when they have saved enough for anything else they want (they're 17 and 14 so they shop on their own). Dd#2 tells me her friends parents buy them a lot more clothes than I let her buy. I don't believe her. I think her budget is quite high enough. I do buy things like coats and one pair of shoes at the beginning of the school year. They are old enough that they can use last year's most years. The only thing I bought this year was tennis shoes for dd#2. Dd#1 is set.

They also can earn $25/week doing chores. They spend most of their allowance on clothes too. It's insane if you ask me but it's their budget to run and learn from.

I do the $10/week into an envelope thing because they're, constantly, asking for new clothes otherwise. They think this is TERRIBLY unfair. (Oh the drama of living with two teenaged girls....) Just wait until they're 18 and have to buy their own clothes. I'm gonna laugh then...

Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Why does he need separate clothes for after school?

Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Old navy has uniform pants for far less than that. Ten bucks for pants, five for polos.
I WISH our schools had uniforms. It would be so much cheaper. My girls think it's a sin if you wear the same thing twice in month. They're convinced none of their friends wear the same thing twice in a month.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Right now our girls are the same size and are happy to share all clothes except shoes. I know that won't last too much longer. They aren't too much interested in fashion or fads but I'm prepared for that to change in the future as well. One thing I've noticed is there doesn't seem to be too much fad dressing at their school. I see all sorts of different styles from just plain jeans and t's to rather dressy clothes with dressy flats but most girls are still wearing sport shoes and pants/jeans and t's.

One daughter is into knitting and likes to wear her own made scarves year round. I thought she would realize it was too hot to wear a knit scarf to school during the spring but it didn't stop her. She's been knitting all summer so she will have a different scarf for every day of the week when school starts. She's also made matching totes too. I'm glad she is developing some sense of style.

I know once they get into middle school all the peer pressure will start. I've been through that before with our grown daughter.

Ivory---I did exactly what you do for our now grown kids. I even went so far as to sit down with them to come up with a 12 month budget which included hair cuts, outer wear, shoes, snack money, school lunches, everything. Then they got a monthly amount of "allowance". That is when my ever frugal son started buzz cutting his own hair (and pocketing the money allotted for that), making his own lunches, wearing his clothes till they were so worn out I had to hide them. He got 2 part time jobs and still kept his grades up enough to get a scholarship. I found out later he started investing and saving all that extra money and now at 31 already has a nice little nest egg. Not exactly what I had in mind but he made it work for him. He still cuts his own hair and is pretty frugal but not cheap. I think the only thing he will splurge on is good sport shoes since he is into fitness.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:43 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
My kids get an annual clothing budget of $800. $300 when school starts and then I put $10/week into an envelope for them to go shopping when they have saved enough for anything else they want (they're 17 and 14 so they shop on their own). Dd#2 tells me her friends parents buy them a lot more clothes than I let her buy. I don't believe her. I think her budget is quite high enough. I do buy things like coats and one pair of shoes at the beginning of the school year. They are old enough that they can use last year's most years. The only thing I bought this year was tennis shoes for dd#2. Dd#1 is set.

They also can earn $25/week doing chores. They spend most of their allowance on clothes too. It's insane if you ask me but it's their budget to run and learn from.

I do the $10/week into an envelope thing because they're, constantly, asking for new clothes otherwise. They think this is TERRIBLY unfair. (Oh the drama of living with two teenaged girls....) Just wait until they're 18 and have to buy their own clothes. I'm gonna laugh then...
This is genius. I think I'm going to try it for my 13 and 11 year olds.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
OK Cleasach...Here is what really happened. We entered the store hell bent on destroying anybody who wanted to purchase anything with a picture on it...anything...Mickey Mouse, Cleopatra, Incredible Hulk, Miley Cyrus. At our house we HATE pictures.

We were armed with zip ties to better capture our "enemies" and we carried walkie talkies so we could better coordinate our mission. When one daughter found a shopper gathering up cheap Hannah Montana shirts we descended upon her with vengeance. One girl tried to rip the clothing out of her arms while the other kicked her relentlessly in the shins. I filmed it all on my phone to download on my facebook page.

What? You haven't seen it? Happy? Seems like this is what your have in your mind.

Actually it is the bit about my education that has your riled isn't it. I only mentioned my MBA to emphasize I might have a better and deeper understanding of what marketing strategies are used to hook us into a certain label and I try to take advantage of my education when teaching my children. But here is the truth...I'm a second grade drop out with no teeth and I still wear a diaper. I hire a ghost writer to write my posts and my grocery lists. Now you have the real me. Happy? I doubt it.

This is my last post on this subject. You surely do have a bee in your bonnet about something and I hope you take care of it soon as you come across as a very resentful person.

Now if anybody else would like to contribute to the discussion about back to school shopping I would like to hear what you have to say. Sounds like most of us are not the ones shopping in the big crowds and long lines and wait till certain items are needed.
You can dress it up all you like. I don't care about your degree. I just call it as I see it. Your posts tend to have an air of superiority to them and this one was no different.

Happy back to school shopping everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting