Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 AM

17,413 posts, read 16,574,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't know if this story is true. But it is illustrative even if false. Once upon a time, a normal fellow, not a doctor, wanted to cure his partner of AIDS. He came up with the idea to keep his brain cold in ice water while boiling his blood. He did this and it appeared to work. All of this was back before any drugs, and HIV was a near certain death sentence. So people flocked to him for this therapy. He killed dozens of other people.

Should adults be "allowed" to seek this kind of completely scientifically baseless "treatment"?
O.k. I'm not really liking this analogy. But I'll work with what you've given me.

That particular treatment in your example should be dropped. But that doesn't mean that we should just accept AIDS if we don't want to and never try to find another way to treat it, does it?

Again, this is your analogy - not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Not sure if it's the "rage" or not, but the group putting up the fight is from, of all places, liberal LA.

Mansions? Sure. Do you think psychologists who treat, write articles, and speak at conventions are poor?

Here we have it. The conservative Christian heartland versus the "have seen it all" coasts. How America hangs together as 50 states ceases to amaze me, sometimes.
Religious, anti-gay, Christian conservative author/shrink/speakers living in pimped out mansions on the LA hillsides - now that's a picture. Can I take the liberty of throwing in "gun toting", too? Or do you think that would make it too hard to believe?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:10 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,202,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
O.k. I'm not really liking this analogy. But I'll work with what you've given me.

That particular treatment in your example should be dropped. But that doesn't mean that we should just accept AIDS if we don't want to and never try to find another way to treat it, does it?

Again, this is your analogy - not mine.

I thought you were still advocating that adults should be free to seek dangerous treatements.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:02 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,906,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Mansions? Sure. Do you think psychologists who treat, write articles, and speak at conventions are poor.
Thanks for the chuckle. Most psychologists aren't living in mansions. Not one psychologist I know who practices, publishes or speaks at conventions is wealthy (living in mansions wealthy). I'm sure there are some, but c'mon now.

I do agree that the small contingent of charlatans who are fighting the ban because they practice "reparative therapy" have a vested interest in keeping their practices going. Too bad for them. They should have chosen a legitimate therapy to practice.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I thought you were still advocating that adults should be free to seek dangerous treatements.
No. I am not qualified to recommend nor do I advocate dangerous treatment choices.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Thanks for the chuckle. Most psychologists aren't living in mansions.
And people who made money doing this therapy ain't living in the L.A. hills. If they are, they are very lonely people who probably believe the majority of their neighbors need their help.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,136,478 times
and so it begins:

Christian Lawsuit Alleges California's 'Gay Cure' Law Is Unconstitutional - ABC News

Old 10-03-2012, 07:30 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,397,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Unconstitutional? 1st Amendment?

I wonder how they are going to come up with any legitmate evidence? They can peddle their 'junk science' and propaganda to desperate parents who don't know any better, but a court of law is a very different thing.

I see this as a good thing. The facts will 'come out of the closet' even if these people won't.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:32 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,397,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Religious, anti-gay, Christian conservative author/shrink/speakers living in pimped out mansions on the LA hillsides - now that's a picture. Can I take the liberty of throwing in "gun toting", too? Or do you think that would make it too hard to believe?
LOL!

NARTH's headquarters are in California. They are the ones behind the whole 'reparative' therapy idea.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,392,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
LOL!

NARTH's headquarters are in California. They are the ones behind the whole 'reparative' therapy idea.
If a person goes in for some plastic surgery, as an example, the good results are probably in the 95% to 99% rate, or the doctors wouldn't be in practice.

With something like reparative therapy, the success rate (however that's determined) is probably 20% to 40%, per TV documentary type programs. This means, many individuals or parents may be bilked out of $10,000 to $20,000 or whatever, which can pay for a chunk of their kids' student loans or something else important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting