Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
A short flight.. .has no lower chance of injury than a longer flight.. . .speaking statistically.
So, tell me exactly how would I carry a seat alone on a plane? It wont fit through the aisle and would have to be carried over head and most flight attendants wont carry it for you.

In addition to pushing a stroller plus carrying a diaper bag through the terminal?

Sometimes the safest option is not always the easiest option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Yes, you will have to fold the stroller and put it through x-ray. Not sure of the rules if it's too big. Maybe the TSA website has info on this?
My stroller is quite wide and wont fit through the plain machines, but they do typically have one machine for extra large items in most airports. I've flown quite a bit with my stroller in hand and have never had it NOT fit through a machine.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:23 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post

Easier is not the same as better.

Like I said, if a parent can't safely manage this alone, they should reconsider.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 PM

That's just ridiculous. I have no qualms in holding my son in a carrier attached to me. If that makes me a bad parent, then so be it. I'm confident in all my other parenting abilities, keeping my child rear facing, etc, i dont need people to tell me I need to make other plans just because he's sitting in my lap like he is legally allowed to.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:

That's fine. I believe you.

There's not a lot about parenting that's easy. But "easy" is not the goal, of course.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Quote:
So, tell me exactly how would I carry a seat alone on a plane? It wont fit through the aisle and would have to be carried over head and most flight attendants wont carry it for you.

In addition to pushing a stroller plus carrying a diaper bag through the terminal?

I don't know what the debate is between you two but the above post is exactly what I did less than a month ago with my 19month old. Carry-on bag with laptop and D-SLR; diaper bag with toys, snacks, and sippy cup; stroller; car seat; and of course, my child. Yes, I carried the seat over my head when we got on the plane while my daughter flew past me. Good thing she could only go so far! First flight, a flight attendant held my daughter while I installed the car seat. The return flight - an all male staff - I got no help.

I did it out of necessity b'c my daughter is a pain to fly with. I love her to death but she needs to be constantly entertained and she's super squirmy so I must buy her a seat and she must be restrained in a car seat. I requested my husband to go through security with me and SW allowed it. My family was waiting for me when I got there thankfully. My trip back home I felt more confident I could do it alone so I went through security by myself but my husband was waiting for me when I arrived.

All I gotta say is what I did was a PAIN IN THE BUTT. I'm pretty proud of myself though for accomplishing this as I rely on my husband a lot when it comes to "baby logistics" like carrying bags, installing the car seat, watching the kiddo while I go pee etc. I would not travel with her alone though if I had no one waiting for me at the other end. It's emotionally and physically exhausting and any parent who does this should be awarded a friggin' medal.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
What an extreme point of view. I mean we are talking about walking on board, putting down a seat, and waiting to see if the plane is full. Southwest, if asked, often let you do this anyway. The airline, if the plane is full, will say so... .and no one is hurt.

Empty seats are empty seats. Who is so wronged here?

You imagine yourself wronged here. . because you HAD to pay for a ticket and some car seat infant /toddler didn't. its sooo unfair?

Here is the reality - this isn't your f'n plane. Its southwest. Its their decision, and they can ask you for the seat at any time.

They decide its wrong

not your ego.
SW will tell you that the plane is full and have even heard them say something to the effect, "If you have a lap child in a car seat, take them out of it." I think it was you who mentioned also that when they say it's full it's really not ... every time I've herad them say it's full, it's full!!! I'm surprised you've been able to get away with it. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with what you do but just saying you're right about how it's SW's decision. There's no way they don't know how many ppl are on a plane. That's why we have tickets.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I don't know what the debate is between you two but the above post is exactly what I did less than a month ago with my 19month old. Carry-on bag with laptop and D-SLR; diaper bag with toys, snacks, and sippy cup; stroller; car seat; and of course, my child. Yes, I carried the seat over my head when we got on the plane while my daughter flew past me. Good thing she could only go so far! First flight, a flight attendant held my daughter while I installed the car seat. The return flight - an all male staff - I got no help.

I did it out of necessity b'c my daughter is a pain to fly with. I love her to death but she needs to be constantly entertained and she's super squirmy so I must buy her a seat and she must be restrained in a car seat. I requested my husband to go through security with me and SW allowed it. My family was waiting for me when I got there thankfully. My trip back home I felt more confident I could do it alone so I went through security by myself but my husband was waiting for me when I arrived.

All I gotta say is what I did was a PAIN IN THE BUTT. I'm pretty proud of myself though for accomplishing this as I rely on my husband a lot when it comes to "baby logistics" like carrying bags, installing the car seat, watching the kiddo while I go pee etc. I would not travel with her alone though if I had no one waiting for me at the other end. It's emotionally and physically exhausting and any parent who does this should be awarded a friggin' medal.
How did you hold your child and hold the carseat above the seats while doing it alone? That's the logistic I cannot get around. I've asked flight attendants for help carrying the seat, but they state they "cannot" do that.

For me, I'll be taking my 22 month old next month to go on another flight. I planned the flight time specifically when his nap time is. That way I can just leave him in the Ergo attached to me and nap. I find planning flights around nap times definitely helps.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
How did you hold your child and hold the carseat above the seats while doing it alone? That's the logistic I cannot get around. I've asked flight attendants for help carrying the seat, but they state they "cannot" do that.

For me, I'll be taking my 22 month old next month to go on another flight. I planned the flight time specifically when his nap time is. That way I can just leave him in the Ergo attached to me and nap. I find planning flights around nap times definitely helps.
There's no way I'd be able to hold her AND the car seat! When we got on the plane, I just put her down in front of me and directed her to move forward. I think she was too curious to be scared. If anybody behind me was annoyed at how slow we were going, that's their problem. What the hell are they expecting me to do? I only have 2 arms!! (and a bad back!!) I was really thankful that a flight attendant helped entertain my daughter while I was installing the car seat.

You are absolutely right, nap time traveling is optimal ... unless you get suck behind people talk louder than screaming kids. Yeah, that happened to us and my daughter woke up in an hour ... thankfully the flight was only 2.5 hrs.

Good luck. It's never easy to travel with children - with or without gear!!

Old 10-06-2012, 06:56 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Wow. hate to inconvince you with facts and risks.

Seriously. . .My KID hates tight seat belts, the Car seat is sooo tough . . .

Turn your kid into a flying missle . . .no sweat off my back (unless he hits me).

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting